|By Walter Pinson||
|December 21, 2009 07:30 AM EST||
My colleague, Peter Palmieri, just penned a blog post about Microsoft’s recent announcement that the Azure platform will offer extensive and familiar relational database features via SQL Data Services (SDS).
In his post, Leveraging Skills, Peter discusses the fact that .NET developers will be able to leverage their existing SQL Server database skills when developing against the Azure platform.
In doing so, he has touched upon what I think is Microsoft’s most strategic advantage in the realm of cloud computing.
Microsoft has a ready-made ecosystem and developer community from which to draw its consumer innovators and early adopters.
And I believe it plans on leveraging that advantage to vanquish the competition. The sheer breadth and depth of these cloud consumer first-movers may prove to be game-changing.
From my perspective, abstraction is the key to wide-scale adoption of enterprise cloud services. One of the general advantages of cloud computing is the associated cost savings gained through economies-of-scale and pay-as-you-go economics. For CTOs, CIOs, and enterprise IT managers, re-tooling and re-training the developer and operations workforce cuts into that cost savings; weakening the cloud computing value proposition.
Further, said developer and operations workforce is aware of something called job security. The need to retool and retrain is not only costly to the enterprise, it takes a heavy toll on the workforce as well. My money says that the largest pools of cloud computing evangelists will come from the groups with the lowest hurdles, or barriers to adoption.
Providers of enterprise cloud computing services will do themselves a huge favor by minimizing the barriers to adopting their platforms. The name of the game is abstraction and Microsoft has a built-in advantage in this area.
Windows is broadly trusted in the enterprise.
Microsoft had the strategic savvy to use Windows as the abstraction layer; turning it into a very familiar gateway to the clouds.
As a result, all Microsoft .NET developers and engineers are now (potential) cloud developers and engineers. Update your resumes folks.
Photo Credit lrargerich.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict