|By Kyle Gabhart||
|April 14, 2009 03:00 PM EDT||
A Journey of False Starts
This is not the first time you’ve had your heart set on revolutionizing your information systems:
- One year, you rolled out a big Enterprise Application Integration (EAI) initiative, but it was too brittle and carried high maintenance costs.
- For a while you experimented with Web Services, but found that while they were easy to work with, they were largely insufficient to meet your broader needs due to a lack of architectural design guidelines.
- Out-sourcing, in-sourcing, up-sourcing, down-sourcing, and cross-sourcing just seemed to shuffle the work around and tended to result in the blame-game.
- You’ve bought every pill and tonic you could find (ESBs, network appliances, UDDI registries, load balancers, etc.), each with varying degrees of success.
- One crazy weekend you deployed a full-scale dynamic rules engine to fully automate decision logic, but this carried hidden costs and fell short of your expectations.
- Then you stumbled across this witch doctor who could abstract data, memory, processing power, and bandwidth through some wizardy known as ‘virtualization’. While initially very promising, the startup costs and expertise required were obstacles that you simply could not overcome.
On the verge of losing all hope, you hear that this virtualization thingy might not have to be so expensive after all thanks to Cloud Computing. Could it be? Could you actually achieve your dreams of scalability, availability, and reliability, without giving your CFO a heart attack?? Could you actually adopt a Cloud of your very own?
Adopting Your Very Own Cloud
Adoption can be a scary process. In your fear of doing something wrong, you may be tempted to buy a big, expensive consulting package and just have someone else handle everything. You don’t need to do that. Simply find a subject matter expert to serve as a mentor that can guide you through the process of pragmatically evaluating and possibly even adopting Cloud. Along the way, make sure that this mentor is educating you and your team so that you are able to function effectively once this person has left the building.
Ten Steps to Successful Cloud Adoption
- Identify your business drivers — What are you actually trying to accomplish from a business perspective? What are your enterprise initiatives, key objectives, and targets? Look for growth drivers as well as risk mitigation drivers.
- Get educated — What business opportunities does Cloud Computing present? What are the advantages, disadvantages, and key factors that Cloud brings to the table? What cost models, value models, solution architecture, and infrastructure design changes are required in order to take advantage of Cloud Computing? What impacts does cloud have at the enterprise, division, and individual project basis? Throughout the adoption process, your mentor should provide education around Cloud, but at this stage you need focused attention upon the subject.
- Articulate a value proposition — How do you see Cloud Computing supporting one or more of the drivers identified in the first step? There are a variety of reasons that an organization might choose to adopt Cloud (reduce maintenance costs, scale support costs during peak system usage, support after-hours service requests, business continuity, operational risks, reduce capital expenditures, accelerate growth into new markets, improve business agility, and etc.). Identify and clearly articulate the Cloud value proposition(s) for your enterprise that are applicable given your business drivers.
- Define one or more scenarios — With an understanding of the value propositions that you are targeting, it is now time to get specific and define scenarios or use cases for applying Cloud Computing to address one or more of the business drivers previously identified. These scenarios will serve as candidates for the initial Cloud adoption effort that your team will embark upon later in this process.
- Produce a roadmap – Using an “as-is” and “to-be” modeling technique, identify the gaps that exist between the current state of your enterprise and the desired future state for capitalizing upon Cloud. Next, define a roadmap that shows how to move toward that cloud-enabled future state. It is critical that this roadmap include objective and measurable milestones for your organization to work toward.
- Gain stakeholder buy-in — Throughout the adoption process, you will need to gain buy-in from various groups regarding this initiative. It is particularly important to do-so after defining the roadmap and prior to actually moving forward with it. From this point on your team will be drawing upon enterprise resources to establish governance, infrastructure, project personnel, and then deploying real solutions into production. It is crucial that all impacted parties are on-board and ready to go.
- Establish governance — Oh great! Here we go again! Why does everyone insist that we need to govern our business initiatives? The answer is simple - people screw things up. Governance ensures that we are all playing from the same playbook (vocabulary, portfolio, models, architecture, standards, metrics, etc.) and that the enterprise’s target objectives and risk factors are duly consider and investments are protected. Governance should be lean, focused, and ever-present.
- Invest in infrastructure — Depending upon your adoption strategy, this may be very significant (server farm, policy manager and enforcement mechanism, load balancer, ESB, cloud gateway, etc.) if you are going to develop your own internal cloud or relatively simple (content-based routing proxy and possibly a service registry) if you intend to leverage an external cloud vendor.
- Cloud pilot — The metaphor of a test pilot has been used consistently used for years to describe initial work done in a new area. The fact that we’re now piloting through clouds opens up a whole new set of possible puns to play around with. Setting those aside, the importance of proving out a single, definable test case that can prove out tangible value for your enterprise is essential. As with other pilot initiatives, it is important that you carefully select from a candidate set of possible projects. You need something big enough to count, but small enough to be successful. Your cloud mentor should assist in this process.
- Enterprise roll-out — Provided that the pilot was successful, it is now time to move foward with the roadmap and look for additional opportunities to apply cloud solutions. This may involve moving existing solutions to the cloud, consuming cloud services, or delivering brand new capabilities that have never existed. Continue to expand the use of cloud within the enterprise so long as your solutions adhere to the governance guidelines that have been established, and they are consistent with your overall business drivers for the enterprise.
Cloud computing holds tremendous potential for both small and large organizations. Adopting your very own cloud solution may seem daunting, but the maturing of service oriented patterns, practices, methodologies, and tools has brought cloud well within reach. With proper guidance, your organization can evaluate the potential for cloud and pragmatically adopt it without breaking the bank.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 29, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,725
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 29, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,285
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 29, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,938
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 29, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,156
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 29, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,338
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 29, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,269
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 29, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,968
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 29, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,243
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 29, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 977
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 29, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,492
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 29, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,336
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 29, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,479
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 29, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,418
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 29, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,055
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,380
SYS-CON Events announced today BZ Media LLC has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and Commercial Drone markets.
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,651
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,278
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 28, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,549
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,946
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,370