|By Virtualization News||
|January 13, 2009 06:32 PM EST||
Peter Thawley, Senior Director & Architect at Sybase, will be presenting at SYS-CON's 5th International Virtualization Conference & Expo in New York City this coming March 30-April 1. Thawley, a member of Sybase’s CTO Group where he brings over 22 years of experience in software architecture & engineering, will be covering technical details behind the virtualization techniques utilized in large Enterprise database systems which go beyond what is available through today's virtual machine technologies.
"To date, many Wall Street firms have achieved successful results implementing traditional virtualization in several areas," Thawley notes. "Virtualization of servers in development and QA seem to be a well accepted deployment pattern within most firms. However, when asked about the use of virtualization in production environments, the results are less clear."
"Stateless types of server processing typically found on web servers and some application servers make traditional 'virtual machine' approaches a viable solution in many firms. However with database servers where stateless processing is not common, there appears to be limited acceptance of traditional virtualization with the exception of small systems."
According to Thawley, this is due to the fact that large multi-user database systems are much more complex and require "application context" in order to effectively virtualize resources while still ensuring business SLAs are maintained.
The focus areas of his session, feistily titled "'Virtualizing Resources in Production Database Systems - It Takes More Than Hardware and a VM to Exceed SLAs!," will include techniques for optimizing database cache memory through dynamic memory and object binding as well as managing application workloads through CPU/core and cluster node affinity. Learn how today's enterprises are using and benefiting from Virtualized Resource Management technologies in both single node database servers as well as multi-node database clusters to deliver virtualization's promises to complex production Enterprise database systems .
Speaker Bio: Peter Thawley is a Senior Director and Architect in Sybase’s CTO Group where he brings over 22 years of experience in software architecture & engineering, product management, and worldwide product & technology sales & services spanning both systems software products and business applications to Sybase. Over the years, his kernel-level understanding of the data management & integration technologies as well as an innate understanding of their impact on application architecture and operations, combined with his willingness to openly steer customers around the pitfalls of product limitations, made his a household name with Sybase customers and earned him a reputation for standing-room-only presentations at conferences around the world.
Learn How to Leverage Cloud Computing and Virtualization in NYC This March
Cloud Computing and Virtualization both take center stage this March in New York City, as SYS-CON Events brings two of its most popular industry-leading Enterprise IT events to the Big Apple: 2nd International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo and 5th International Virtualization Conference & Expo.
Co-located at the historic Roosevelt Hotel in midtown Manhattan, these events have the highest-energy Expo Floor of any comparable event, with more exhibitors, more attendees, and more Special Events like our industry Power Panels, our delegate prize drawings, and our attendee-generated Show Awards.
Register today for a Golden Pass and access to both events.
Cloud Computing Is Swelling Into an Estimated $36BN Market
The Cloud Computing conference theme this March is “The Delivery of IT Resources as Services” - with 100+ breakout sessions by leading industry CEOs and CTOs whose companies already recognize that what today's companies need above all is to be able to build infrastructures that can scale up or down at a moment's notice.
Over the next five years, IDC expects spending on IT cloud services to grow almost threefold, reaching $42 billion by 2012 and accounting for some 9% of total software sales. More importantly, spending on cloud computing will accelerate throughout the forecast period, capturing 25% of IT spending growth in 2012 and nearly a third of growth the following year.
Cloud computing helps IT cut infrastructure costs while adding new features and services to grow core businesses. Clouds can help grow margins as costs are cut back but service offerings are expanded.
Top Keynotes, Top Technical & Business Sessions, Top Delegates
2nd International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo will feature 100+ technical sessions from the leading industry players from the main layers of the Cloud ecosystem - the infrastructure players, the platform providers, and those offering applications and services. Our two-day Expo is your chance to get in front of senior technologists including CIOs, CTOs, directors of infrastructure, VPs of technology, IT directors and managers, network and storage managers, network engineers, enterprise architects, and communications and networking specialists.
Attend Full-Day Cloud Bootcamp FREE With Your “Expo Plus Bootcamp” Registration!
Cloud computing is an opportunity for business to implement low cost, low power and high efficiency systems to deliver scalable infrastructure. But what's actually involved in moving to a cloud infrastructure? In this compelling one-day, hands-on training program, you'll learn just what it takes to take full advantage of the Cloud. Join fellow delegates as Alan Williamson, Editor-in-Chief of Cloud Computing Journal, uses his expertise to lead you through Cloud Computing Bootcamp on Tuesday March 31, 2009 with configuration samples, live demos and working setups.
Seats are limited to the first 500 attendees so Register Today for Cloud Computing Bootcamp to secure your spot!
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict