|By Linux News Desk||
|February 1, 2005 12:00 AM EST||
Taylor said he will take on what he considers to be the most pressing issue facing open source use. He stated, "There has been a great deal of noise recently about the IP and patent law issues on both sides of the Atlantic. However, the most pressing issue is the prospect of a change in current European law."
The task force is made up of members from industry, government and the open source community across Europe. Legal services specializing in intellectual property rights are also to help. Taylor said he sees the OSC board as an agent of change. "It seems timely therefore the OSC should now serve as a fulcrum for action by providing a unified, cohesive approach that identifies and campaigns for the best interests of the open source movement."
Among the terms of reference from the OSC advisory board is establishing a consultation process to provide a dialogue with open source stakeholders. This will poll opinion from domestic and European government contacts already represented on the OSC committee, with the Consortium's corporate network and those members of the open source community actively involved in deploying leading enterprise ready projects."
Taylor said he hopes to bring a more unified and substantive position on behalf of opponents to patent controls that create restrictions in use of open source material. He said, "Much of the opinion generated by the stakeholders of the open source movement, to date, has been atomistic and uncoordinated. However, there does seem to be an emerging trend that strong European patent laws, far from protecting innovators, will in fact emasculate the development of open source technology. Indeed one has to face the prospect of a market mired in litigation for years. On the other hand there does seem to be fairly strong support for protection of intellectual property as a concept and a right."
|Goodnews 02/01/05 04:37:23 PM EST|
Or the bill could go back to the beginning. There is increasing momentum here in Europe for precisely this to happen - and not just from new entrants like the OSC, but old favourites such as FSF Europe. And don't forget the increasing number of Governments opposing (Thank you Poland!).
|Bad news 02/01/05 03:12:09 PM EST|
The law could still be ratified whenever it appears on the agenda of an EU meeting - that could even be tomorrow. So this task force may be too late
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict