|By Jeremy Geelan||
|October 15, 2004 12:00 AM EDT||
"No matter what the cynics say," wrote Sun president and COO Joanthan Schwartz in his blog this week, "since its inception, Sun has been a believer in and contributor to open source communities - after all, we were built on an open source operating system. Open source is in our blood, not just our press releases and billboards."
The occasion for these comments? The fourth "birthday" of OpenOffice.org.
"Congratulations, folks," Schwartz continued, "No one can possibly doubt that we're making a difference."
Schwartz noted that, in the four years since Sun's contribution of StarOffice to the open source community, it has been downloaded tens of millions of times, and the European Union has recently recommended OpenOffice.org as the basis for standard file formats and document interchange.
"Chalk one up for open standards," Schwartz noted. "The competition's on the run."
It was "one of the single largest open sourcing efforts in the history of the industry," Schwartz added.
"Granted, I haven't done a line count in a while," hew wrote, "but it's a massive codebase, managed and evolved by a global community of folks interested in enhancing, evolving, innovating and localizing the fastest growing office productivity suite on the market. Millions of lines of code managed by a global team, committed to affordability, universal access, and security."
|cdrworm 10/16/04 04:15:28 AM EDT|
I wish Sun would look at patents in a different way. They are best friends with Microsoft but Microsoft has the right to sue OpenOffice users over the XML patent. Sun didnt make a deal with them on that issue, other than give MS the right to sue, when MS paid a settlement to Sun. The other thing is Sun is ok with this so it can sell StarOffice which gives end-users indemnification from MS patent lawsuits, according to the settlement.
Part II: Kodak wins the Java lawsuit. Now Java developers and end-users are vulnerable to Kodak attacking them. Again, Sun did NOT made deals with Kodak to protect their developers or end-users. What is up with that?
|opensourcer 10/15/04 09:14:51 AM EDT|
Happy Birthday, OpenOffice.org! :-))
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict