|By Kevin Benedict||
|August 19, 2014 01:42 PM EDT||
The common consensus is that any kind of mobile workflow that requires manual user interaction needs some kind of incentive to drive correct behaviours and focus. This generally involves rewarding the user in some fashion for their efforts: badges; points; a leaderboard of people completing the task; head to head battles; prizes; etc. It's all very positive reinforcement which is popular in our current educational system.
I don't always subscribe to positive reinforcement, and sometimes the darker part of my soul requires Tough Love. With that in mind I would like to introduce a concept called Shamification. It's basically the dark side of Gamification and relies on old school humiliation as a tool.
This is best illustrated through the popular Internet Movie Database website (IMDB). You will often find yourself checking on the worst 100 films as often as the best 100 films. The showcasing and revelling in abject failure is a critical part of British Society and here the biggest failures are paraded for group humiliation.
I see a similar development in mobile apps I call Shamification. You shame the worst performing users into doing the task through a leaderboard that gleefully revels in both the top 10 and the bottom 10 performers.
Indeed Grand Theft Auto 3 (two iterations before what we (aka me) is currently playing) had some elements of this whereby your avatar got fat if you performed badly, and this attracted abuse from people on the street, "Hey lard ass fancy a donut?"
I laugh at gamification critics that claim people are not competitive. We expose this fallacy by pointing to the numbers of consumers playing mobile games - hundreds of millions.
In the new Kim Kardasian's Hollywood app, you strive to gain popularity (in a virtual world) by spending real money. It is being forecasted to generate $200 million in revenues! People are investing real-world dollars to avoid being unpopular and shamed!
I predict it won't be long before shaming enters mainstream enterprise mobility apps. What if productivity falls in your department and your enterprise mobility app avatar slowly morphs into an unattractive loser? Yikes! The dark side of gamification is coming! If you give me your credit card number and buy enough points, I can ensure you remain at least attractive.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict