|By Jnan Dash||
|July 25, 2014 11:55 AM EDT||
Yesterday Facebook with its stock soaring to new heights, exceeded IBM in terms of market value. This morning, it’s slightly less (IBM at $194B vs Facebook at $193B). However Facebook is higher than Oracle’s value and is the third largest company in the valley after Apple and Google. For enterprise software folks like me, this is very hard to explain. Value of what? – the photographs, likes and connected friends?
Market value is the total number stocks multiplied by the stock price. Sometimes, it can be a huge multiple of the current revenue – as is the case for Facebook. It’s projected annual revenue for this year at $12B is minuscule compared to IBM’s $100B in 2013. Facebook is 10 years old with 7000 employees compared to IBM’s age at 103 with more than 400,000 employees. The market value indicates the “projected” growth of a company and a higher demand of its stock increases the value. Sustainability is another issue.
Facebook reported stellar performance earlier this week, exceeding the analyst’s projection. It’s mobile advertising revenue was impressive, compared to zero two years ago. This pushed the stock to almost $76, twice the price of its IPO at $38 and four times the low of $18 at one time. Mark Zuckerberg is worth almost $33B at the ripe age of 31, adding a whopping $1.6B yesterday to his net worth.
I guess social networking is a huge force. With 1.2 billion users, Facebook owns a great treasure called the “social graph” of a huge population. Advertisers would bet all their money to reach such an audience. This year, the net spend on mobile advertising would exceed that of TV and print media spending. Every time, you use Facebook, it keeps track of you and your connections, plus photographs, links, timeline, etc. There are privacy issues being debated.
Facebook is growing very fast in countries like India and Brazil. No wonder Sheryl Sandberg visited India last month and met the new prime minister Mr. Modi to discuss how Facebook can be used for better governance in the largest democracy of the world. Incidentally, IBM’s largest number of employees now are in India, bigger than the US.
It is still hard to digest the fact that Facebook is almost equal to IBM’s value!
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict