|By Business Wire||
|July 21, 2014 08:41 AM EDT||
Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the industry's research and consulting firm for graphics and multimedia, announced its newest gaming market study, The Console Hardware Market, and is projecting that Android will drive video gaming on HDTVs for millions of customers by 2017.
Ted Pollak, Senior Gaming Analyst at JRR notes that “Playstation 4, Xbox One, and the Nintendo Wii-U should continue to be the dominant platforms for dedicated and entrenched console gamers. However, Android console offerings from Amazon, Google, Nvidia and others are projected to grow at a much faster rate, and offer the casual to mid-core gamer an affordable way to play from the couch. Android consoles can take the shape of a set-top-box, micro-console, specialty tablet, or multipurpose device like the Shield. The common thread being they are all designed for TV gaming.”
Much of this phenomenon can be traced to the incredible leaps in general and graphics oriented processing power of the mobile chipset industry. Companies like Qualcomm, Nvidia, Imagination Technology, and Samsung are improving the capabilities of mobile chipsets by leaps and bounds. Jon Peddie, President of JPR notes that "the mobile world is moving at lightning speed as it adds features for movies, gaming, and light content creation. 4K video is already a reality and it seems there are no boundaries on the public’s appetite for better graphics and video.”
The console market in general has recently come under pressure from tablets and PC gaming. However the monetization of the hardcore console players will keep the business model for the top end going. Over time, the broader base of console gamers will likely consider Android, cable box, and other types of consoles such as the Sony Vita TV for more casual to mid core pursuits. Apple is always a potential threat as well.
The market will expand further as China opens its doors to traditional (but locally built) consoles, which will cannibalize more of the lower end PC gaming sales. China has a potential console market of 50 - 100 million gamers who would prefer to play on TV versus the traditional desktop setup. The middle class have increasingly more disposable income and mobile devices, causing the role of the internet café to lessen.
GlobalGame Consoles (M Units)
The video game and simulation market has been estimated to be a $100 billion high risk, high stakes industry with a fast changing landscape. It is critical for companies in the gaming market to understand the emerging product segments in the console marketplace, how they relate to each other, and how the market is changing.
The report contains the following content:
- Major Players: Discussion of everyone involved in the market from large to small
- Historical Shipments: Historical shipments of Sony, Intel, Nintendo, and others
- Market Forecasts: Estimates of sales by each platform to 2017 with discussion of future trends
- Charts, graphics, tables and more. Included with this report is an Excel workbook. It contains the data we used to create the charts in this report. The workbook has the charts and supplemental information broken out by platform.
Pricing and Availability
The Console Hardware Market report by Jon Peddie Research, which covers all platforms is available for $8,000 or bi-annual subscription for $12,000.
About Jon Peddie Research
Dr. Jon Peddie has been active in the graphics and multimedia fields for more than 30 years. Jon Peddie Research is a technically oriented multimedia and graphics research and consulting firm. Based in Tiburon, California, JPR provides consulting, research, and other specialized services to technology companies in a variety of fields including graphics development, multimedia for professional applications and consumer electronics, high-end computing, interactive entertainment and Internet-access product development.
View all JPR press releases http://www.jonpeddie.com/about/press/index.shtml.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict