|By Marketwired .||
|July 10, 2014 07:32 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 07/10/14 -- Today, Michelle Myers, vice president and publisher of BRIDES -- the number-one bridal brand in the world -- announced the results from the 2014 American Wedding Study, the definitive analysis of spending and behavior around wedding planning. For decades, BRIDES has conducted this conclusive survey, which provides key insights into emerging and established trends surrounding this economically charged and habit-forming life phase.
"BRIDES is proud to present the 2014 American Wedding Study. This year's results show that today's bride and groom are willing to invest to get the wedding of their dreams. They are spending over $28,000, on average, which is the highest we've seen in nearly 20 years -- and they are often covering the cost themselves," Myers said. "Bridal media has never been more relevant in inspiring and informing their purchase decisions, and BRIDES continues to be their number one resource."
Results of the 2014 BRIDES American Wedding Study show that the importance of personalization continues to rise, even when it comes to how couples will incorporate tradition. For example, 37% of them chose to write their own vows. More couples are paying their own way for their weddings than ever before, and despite that fact, the average cost has increased. This means people are often willing to extend their engagement to save for the big day.
Social media is playing a bigger role than ever for brides, with 54% of brides using Pinterest to communicate their wedding-day vision to planners and vendors and 64% pinning content to aggregate inspiration for the big day. Brides-to-be are also using social media to communicate with their friends and family; 59% posted a picture of their engagement ring after receiving it, and 46% say most of their friends learned of their engagement through social media.
Perhaps taking a cue from Hollywood, 10% of couples already have children together when they say their I do's, up from 7% in 2012. Within a month of dating, 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one."
May has taken the top spot over June as the most popular month to get married, with 15% of brides getting married in May. June is now tied for second with September and October (each at 13%). January and February are the least popular (2% each).
Couples are choosing to blend the old with the new, preserving select traditions that resonate most with their vision for their big day. For example, 20% of couples are married by a friend or family member ordained for the occasion, instead of a religious officiant, up from 14% in 2011.
* The average wedding cost is $28,202, an increase of slightly more than $1,213 since 2012.
* The reception accounts for 43% of wedding costs, with an average price tag of $12,343.
* Outside of the reception, the largest chunks of money are going to engagement rings ($5,002), photography and video ($3,378), music ($1,297), and wedding rings ($1,727).
* The average wedding cake costs $461.
* The current average cost of an engagement ring is $5,002, down $229 from 2012's average cost of $5,229.
* The average wedding dress costs $1,380, up $25 from 2012's average cost of $1,355.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134, consistent with the cost in 2012.
* Since some items were more expansive than expected, 79% rework the budget.
* To save for the wedding they want, 62% of couples say they are willing to have a longer engagement.
* Social media has become the number-one way for brides-to-be to connect with wedding brands/products during planning, with 75% doing so vs. 56% in 2012.
* Pinterest leads the pack, with 67% pinning content (up from 43% in 2012).
* After telling close friends and family 71% of brides-to-be changed their social-media status to "engaged."
* After receiving an engagement ring, 59% posted a picture of it to social networks.
* To spread the news about their engagement to friends, 46% relied on social media.
* While 64% pin content on Pinterest to come back to, purchase or execute for their wedding, another 54% show their wedding vendors their Pinterest boards.
* To keep their guests informed throughout the planning process, 37% of brides-to-be post photos and updates from cake tastings and vendor visits.
* Some brides issue a social media ban; 11% ask guests not to post photos of their wedding day on a social-media site.
* To plan/shop for the wedding 63% use a social-media app.
* December is still the most popular month of the year to get engaged (19%).
* The average length of engagement is 14.7 months.
* Today's average bride is 28 years old, and her groom is 29.
* Prior to getting married, 80% of couples live together, and 66% do prior to engagement.
* Before marriage, 30% of couples have children, and 10% already have children together.
* Only 64% of couples are having engagement photos taken.
* On their wedding night 73% of couples have sex.
* Within a month of dating 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one".
* On their first date 10% of engaged couples had sex; 27% after 2-3 dates, and 29% after one month of dating.
* Only 32% have an engagement party.
* Wedding weekends include multiple events 18% of the time.
* Of all weddings, 16% are destination.
* Of those having a destination wedding, they are inviting less guests (102 vs. the 142 of the average wedding) but providing "extras" for out-of-towners, such as gift bags at check-in (60%), shuttle buses to the ceremony/reception (36%), and planned activities beyond the wedding (34%).
* At destination weddings 30% of couples are providing hotel accommodations for guests.
* Only 21% have a bridesmaids' luncheon.
* Destination bachelor/bachelorette parties are popular, with 43% of brides choosing to take the party on the road.
* The after party is a growing trend, with 21% of brides opting for one following the reception.
* Today's bride is also spending another $617 on wedding-day accessories like jewelry, a headpiece, and a veil.
* White and off-white still dominate with 92% of brides selecting either color for their wedding dress.
* Veils are not seen as frequently; only 55% of brides are choosing to wear one.
* A small portion of the population is choosing to break from the traditional gown with 11% wearing cocktail length, separates, jumpsuits, or a color other than white.
* Multiple dresses have become 9% purchase a second wedding dress for the reception, with another 8% buying another dress or outfit for the after-party.
* Most brides -- 84% -- are still incorporating something old, new borrowed and blue into their wardrobe for their wedding day.
* Tuxedos are most popular with 61% of grooms wearing one for their big day, while 33% choose to wear a suit.
* While renting remains the most popular option, more than one of three grooms purchases his attire.
* The majority of weddings (91%) have a maid/matron of honor; one out of 10 (10%) includes a man of honor.
* Most grooms -- 88% -- are still opting to have a best man, and 7% have a best woman (up from 5% in 2012).
* Almost all couples have a wedding party, with 99% saying they have bridal attendants and 98% groomsmen/ushers.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134.
* Flowers girls are part of the wedding party 65% of the time, and 57% feature a ring bearer.
* Pets are included in the ceremony at 8% of weddings.
* Brides are opting to be less matchy-matchy when it comes to their bridesmaids; 62% of brides choose a color and let their bridesmaids choose the dress style, and 72% match in either color or style but not both.
* Only 38% have all bridesmaids matching in color and style.
WEDDING AND RECEPTION
* May has become the most popular month for weddings, accounting for 15%. April is also growing in share, representing 9% of weddings.
* Houses of worship are chosen 5% of the time for wedding ceremonies
* When selecting their officiant, 18% of engaged couples ask a friend/family member to get ordained to marry them.
* Almost all couples incorporate wedding traditions into their big day, including cake cutting, first dances, toasts, and wearing something old, new, borrowed, and blue.
* Before their wedding ceremony, 67% of brides choose not to see their groom (down from 75% in 2006).
* Once married, 82% of brides plan to take their fiancé's last name.
* For their wedding ceremony, 53% of couples opt for traditional wedding vows.
* In lieu of favors, 9% now make donations to charities.
* Couples spend $508 on gifts for each other, down from $582 in 2012. The watch is the top gift for the groom, and jewelry is the top gift for the bride.
* They'll also spend an additional $760 on gifts for parents ($262), bridesmaids ($308), and groomsmen ($280).
* Once engaged, 80% set up a wedding Web site, and 60% manage the RSVPs online.
* One in 4 couples (26%) now use evites or emails to invite guests to the wedding or save the date.
Respondents were women ages 18+, either engaged or married within the year. The sample included women who have visited Brides.com or the BRIDES Facebook page or are BRIDES magazine subscribers, representing more engaged women than any other media outlet. Respondents were surveyed between March 4 and April 1, 2014.
In more than 79 years of publication, BRIDES has remained the most widely read magazine in the category and the country's foremost authority on engagement, weddings, and marriage. BRIDES is a bimonthly publication, published by Condé Nast, and reaches over five million readers. Brides.com is a leading resource for engaged women, with original content, image galleries, and interactive tools such as checklists, the virtual ring designer, the virtual dressing room, countdowns, and inspiration boards that enable brides to create, save, and share ideas via Web and mobile. BRIDES is available digitally for the iPad and seven-inch tablets and through the popular BRIDES Wedding Genius App. BRIDES stationery lines with Michaels craft stores and Checkerboard Fine Papers are available online and in retail stores across the country. For more information on BRIDES, please visit Brides.com.
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 30, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,662
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Aug. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 287
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 29, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,485
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,440
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 29, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,980
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Aug. 29, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 331
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,745
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 29, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,029
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 844
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,200
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 29, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 967
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 29, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 830
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 29, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,847
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 29, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,211
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 29, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,040
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 29, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,926
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 28, 2016 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,079
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,412
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,101
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 932