|By Marketwired .||
|July 10, 2014 07:32 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 07/10/14 -- Today, Michelle Myers, vice president and publisher of BRIDES -- the number-one bridal brand in the world -- announced the results from the 2014 American Wedding Study, the definitive analysis of spending and behavior around wedding planning. For decades, BRIDES has conducted this conclusive survey, which provides key insights into emerging and established trends surrounding this economically charged and habit-forming life phase.
"BRIDES is proud to present the 2014 American Wedding Study. This year's results show that today's bride and groom are willing to invest to get the wedding of their dreams. They are spending over $28,000, on average, which is the highest we've seen in nearly 20 years -- and they are often covering the cost themselves," Myers said. "Bridal media has never been more relevant in inspiring and informing their purchase decisions, and BRIDES continues to be their number one resource."
Results of the 2014 BRIDES American Wedding Study show that the importance of personalization continues to rise, even when it comes to how couples will incorporate tradition. For example, 37% of them chose to write their own vows. More couples are paying their own way for their weddings than ever before, and despite that fact, the average cost has increased. This means people are often willing to extend their engagement to save for the big day.
Social media is playing a bigger role than ever for brides, with 54% of brides using Pinterest to communicate their wedding-day vision to planners and vendors and 64% pinning content to aggregate inspiration for the big day. Brides-to-be are also using social media to communicate with their friends and family; 59% posted a picture of their engagement ring after receiving it, and 46% say most of their friends learned of their engagement through social media.
Perhaps taking a cue from Hollywood, 10% of couples already have children together when they say their I do's, up from 7% in 2012. Within a month of dating, 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one."
May has taken the top spot over June as the most popular month to get married, with 15% of brides getting married in May. June is now tied for second with September and October (each at 13%). January and February are the least popular (2% each).
Couples are choosing to blend the old with the new, preserving select traditions that resonate most with their vision for their big day. For example, 20% of couples are married by a friend or family member ordained for the occasion, instead of a religious officiant, up from 14% in 2011.
* The average wedding cost is $28,202, an increase of slightly more than $1,213 since 2012.
* The reception accounts for 43% of wedding costs, with an average price tag of $12,343.
* Outside of the reception, the largest chunks of money are going to engagement rings ($5,002), photography and video ($3,378), music ($1,297), and wedding rings ($1,727).
* The average wedding cake costs $461.
* The current average cost of an engagement ring is $5,002, down $229 from 2012's average cost of $5,229.
* The average wedding dress costs $1,380, up $25 from 2012's average cost of $1,355.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134, consistent with the cost in 2012.
* Since some items were more expansive than expected, 79% rework the budget.
* To save for the wedding they want, 62% of couples say they are willing to have a longer engagement.
* Social media has become the number-one way for brides-to-be to connect with wedding brands/products during planning, with 75% doing so vs. 56% in 2012.
* Pinterest leads the pack, with 67% pinning content (up from 43% in 2012).
* After telling close friends and family 71% of brides-to-be changed their social-media status to "engaged."
* After receiving an engagement ring, 59% posted a picture of it to social networks.
* To spread the news about their engagement to friends, 46% relied on social media.
* While 64% pin content on Pinterest to come back to, purchase or execute for their wedding, another 54% show their wedding vendors their Pinterest boards.
* To keep their guests informed throughout the planning process, 37% of brides-to-be post photos and updates from cake tastings and vendor visits.
* Some brides issue a social media ban; 11% ask guests not to post photos of their wedding day on a social-media site.
* To plan/shop for the wedding 63% use a social-media app.
* December is still the most popular month of the year to get engaged (19%).
* The average length of engagement is 14.7 months.
* Today's average bride is 28 years old, and her groom is 29.
* Prior to getting married, 80% of couples live together, and 66% do prior to engagement.
* Before marriage, 30% of couples have children, and 10% already have children together.
* Only 64% of couples are having engagement photos taken.
* On their wedding night 73% of couples have sex.
* Within a month of dating 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one".
* On their first date 10% of engaged couples had sex; 27% after 2-3 dates, and 29% after one month of dating.
* Only 32% have an engagement party.
* Wedding weekends include multiple events 18% of the time.
* Of all weddings, 16% are destination.
* Of those having a destination wedding, they are inviting less guests (102 vs. the 142 of the average wedding) but providing "extras" for out-of-towners, such as gift bags at check-in (60%), shuttle buses to the ceremony/reception (36%), and planned activities beyond the wedding (34%).
* At destination weddings 30% of couples are providing hotel accommodations for guests.
* Only 21% have a bridesmaids' luncheon.
* Destination bachelor/bachelorette parties are popular, with 43% of brides choosing to take the party on the road.
* The after party is a growing trend, with 21% of brides opting for one following the reception.
* Today's bride is also spending another $617 on wedding-day accessories like jewelry, a headpiece, and a veil.
* White and off-white still dominate with 92% of brides selecting either color for their wedding dress.
* Veils are not seen as frequently; only 55% of brides are choosing to wear one.
* A small portion of the population is choosing to break from the traditional gown with 11% wearing cocktail length, separates, jumpsuits, or a color other than white.
* Multiple dresses have become 9% purchase a second wedding dress for the reception, with another 8% buying another dress or outfit for the after-party.
* Most brides -- 84% -- are still incorporating something old, new borrowed and blue into their wardrobe for their wedding day.
* Tuxedos are most popular with 61% of grooms wearing one for their big day, while 33% choose to wear a suit.
* While renting remains the most popular option, more than one of three grooms purchases his attire.
* The majority of weddings (91%) have a maid/matron of honor; one out of 10 (10%) includes a man of honor.
* Most grooms -- 88% -- are still opting to have a best man, and 7% have a best woman (up from 5% in 2012).
* Almost all couples have a wedding party, with 99% saying they have bridal attendants and 98% groomsmen/ushers.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134.
* Flowers girls are part of the wedding party 65% of the time, and 57% feature a ring bearer.
* Pets are included in the ceremony at 8% of weddings.
* Brides are opting to be less matchy-matchy when it comes to their bridesmaids; 62% of brides choose a color and let their bridesmaids choose the dress style, and 72% match in either color or style but not both.
* Only 38% have all bridesmaids matching in color and style.
WEDDING AND RECEPTION
* May has become the most popular month for weddings, accounting for 15%. April is also growing in share, representing 9% of weddings.
* Houses of worship are chosen 5% of the time for wedding ceremonies
* When selecting their officiant, 18% of engaged couples ask a friend/family member to get ordained to marry them.
* Almost all couples incorporate wedding traditions into their big day, including cake cutting, first dances, toasts, and wearing something old, new, borrowed, and blue.
* Before their wedding ceremony, 67% of brides choose not to see their groom (down from 75% in 2006).
* Once married, 82% of brides plan to take their fiancé's last name.
* For their wedding ceremony, 53% of couples opt for traditional wedding vows.
* In lieu of favors, 9% now make donations to charities.
* Couples spend $508 on gifts for each other, down from $582 in 2012. The watch is the top gift for the groom, and jewelry is the top gift for the bride.
* They'll also spend an additional $760 on gifts for parents ($262), bridesmaids ($308), and groomsmen ($280).
* Once engaged, 80% set up a wedding Web site, and 60% manage the RSVPs online.
* One in 4 couples (26%) now use evites or emails to invite guests to the wedding or save the date.
Respondents were women ages 18+, either engaged or married within the year. The sample included women who have visited Brides.com or the BRIDES Facebook page or are BRIDES magazine subscribers, representing more engaged women than any other media outlet. Respondents were surveyed between March 4 and April 1, 2014.
In more than 79 years of publication, BRIDES has remained the most widely read magazine in the category and the country's foremost authority on engagement, weddings, and marriage. BRIDES is a bimonthly publication, published by Condé Nast, and reaches over five million readers. Brides.com is a leading resource for engaged women, with original content, image galleries, and interactive tools such as checklists, the virtual ring designer, the virtual dressing room, countdowns, and inspiration boards that enable brides to create, save, and share ideas via Web and mobile. BRIDES is available digitally for the iPad and seven-inch tablets and through the popular BRIDES Wedding Genius App. BRIDES stationery lines with Michaels craft stores and Checkerboard Fine Papers are available online and in retail stores across the country. For more information on BRIDES, please visit Brides.com.
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 971
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 25, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 730
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,057
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 365
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,305
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,542
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 587
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 901
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,158
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,110
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 585
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,218
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,099
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 785
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,179
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,413
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 24, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 963
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,153
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,334
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,228