|By Marketwired .||
|July 10, 2014 07:32 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 07/10/14 -- Today, Michelle Myers, vice president and publisher of BRIDES -- the number-one bridal brand in the world -- announced the results from the 2014 American Wedding Study, the definitive analysis of spending and behavior around wedding planning. For decades, BRIDES has conducted this conclusive survey, which provides key insights into emerging and established trends surrounding this economically charged and habit-forming life phase.
"BRIDES is proud to present the 2014 American Wedding Study. This year's results show that today's bride and groom are willing to invest to get the wedding of their dreams. They are spending over $28,000, on average, which is the highest we've seen in nearly 20 years -- and they are often covering the cost themselves," Myers said. "Bridal media has never been more relevant in inspiring and informing their purchase decisions, and BRIDES continues to be their number one resource."
Results of the 2014 BRIDES American Wedding Study show that the importance of personalization continues to rise, even when it comes to how couples will incorporate tradition. For example, 37% of them chose to write their own vows. More couples are paying their own way for their weddings than ever before, and despite that fact, the average cost has increased. This means people are often willing to extend their engagement to save for the big day.
Social media is playing a bigger role than ever for brides, with 54% of brides using Pinterest to communicate their wedding-day vision to planners and vendors and 64% pinning content to aggregate inspiration for the big day. Brides-to-be are also using social media to communicate with their friends and family; 59% posted a picture of their engagement ring after receiving it, and 46% say most of their friends learned of their engagement through social media.
Perhaps taking a cue from Hollywood, 10% of couples already have children together when they say their I do's, up from 7% in 2012. Within a month of dating, 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one."
May has taken the top spot over June as the most popular month to get married, with 15% of brides getting married in May. June is now tied for second with September and October (each at 13%). January and February are the least popular (2% each).
Couples are choosing to blend the old with the new, preserving select traditions that resonate most with their vision for their big day. For example, 20% of couples are married by a friend or family member ordained for the occasion, instead of a religious officiant, up from 14% in 2011.
* The average wedding cost is $28,202, an increase of slightly more than $1,213 since 2012.
* The reception accounts for 43% of wedding costs, with an average price tag of $12,343.
* Outside of the reception, the largest chunks of money are going to engagement rings ($5,002), photography and video ($3,378), music ($1,297), and wedding rings ($1,727).
* The average wedding cake costs $461.
* The current average cost of an engagement ring is $5,002, down $229 from 2012's average cost of $5,229.
* The average wedding dress costs $1,380, up $25 from 2012's average cost of $1,355.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134, consistent with the cost in 2012.
* Since some items were more expansive than expected, 79% rework the budget.
* To save for the wedding they want, 62% of couples say they are willing to have a longer engagement.
* Social media has become the number-one way for brides-to-be to connect with wedding brands/products during planning, with 75% doing so vs. 56% in 2012.
* Pinterest leads the pack, with 67% pinning content (up from 43% in 2012).
* After telling close friends and family 71% of brides-to-be changed their social-media status to "engaged."
* After receiving an engagement ring, 59% posted a picture of it to social networks.
* To spread the news about their engagement to friends, 46% relied on social media.
* While 64% pin content on Pinterest to come back to, purchase or execute for their wedding, another 54% show their wedding vendors their Pinterest boards.
* To keep their guests informed throughout the planning process, 37% of brides-to-be post photos and updates from cake tastings and vendor visits.
* Some brides issue a social media ban; 11% ask guests not to post photos of their wedding day on a social-media site.
* To plan/shop for the wedding 63% use a social-media app.
* December is still the most popular month of the year to get engaged (19%).
* The average length of engagement is 14.7 months.
* Today's average bride is 28 years old, and her groom is 29.
* Prior to getting married, 80% of couples live together, and 66% do prior to engagement.
* Before marriage, 30% of couples have children, and 10% already have children together.
* Only 64% of couples are having engagement photos taken.
* On their wedding night 73% of couples have sex.
* Within a month of dating 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one".
* On their first date 10% of engaged couples had sex; 27% after 2-3 dates, and 29% after one month of dating.
* Only 32% have an engagement party.
* Wedding weekends include multiple events 18% of the time.
* Of all weddings, 16% are destination.
* Of those having a destination wedding, they are inviting less guests (102 vs. the 142 of the average wedding) but providing "extras" for out-of-towners, such as gift bags at check-in (60%), shuttle buses to the ceremony/reception (36%), and planned activities beyond the wedding (34%).
* At destination weddings 30% of couples are providing hotel accommodations for guests.
* Only 21% have a bridesmaids' luncheon.
* Destination bachelor/bachelorette parties are popular, with 43% of brides choosing to take the party on the road.
* The after party is a growing trend, with 21% of brides opting for one following the reception.
* Today's bride is also spending another $617 on wedding-day accessories like jewelry, a headpiece, and a veil.
* White and off-white still dominate with 92% of brides selecting either color for their wedding dress.
* Veils are not seen as frequently; only 55% of brides are choosing to wear one.
* A small portion of the population is choosing to break from the traditional gown with 11% wearing cocktail length, separates, jumpsuits, or a color other than white.
* Multiple dresses have become 9% purchase a second wedding dress for the reception, with another 8% buying another dress or outfit for the after-party.
* Most brides -- 84% -- are still incorporating something old, new borrowed and blue into their wardrobe for their wedding day.
* Tuxedos are most popular with 61% of grooms wearing one for their big day, while 33% choose to wear a suit.
* While renting remains the most popular option, more than one of three grooms purchases his attire.
* The majority of weddings (91%) have a maid/matron of honor; one out of 10 (10%) includes a man of honor.
* Most grooms -- 88% -- are still opting to have a best man, and 7% have a best woman (up from 5% in 2012).
* Almost all couples have a wedding party, with 99% saying they have bridal attendants and 98% groomsmen/ushers.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134.
* Flowers girls are part of the wedding party 65% of the time, and 57% feature a ring bearer.
* Pets are included in the ceremony at 8% of weddings.
* Brides are opting to be less matchy-matchy when it comes to their bridesmaids; 62% of brides choose a color and let their bridesmaids choose the dress style, and 72% match in either color or style but not both.
* Only 38% have all bridesmaids matching in color and style.
WEDDING AND RECEPTION
* May has become the most popular month for weddings, accounting for 15%. April is also growing in share, representing 9% of weddings.
* Houses of worship are chosen 5% of the time for wedding ceremonies
* When selecting their officiant, 18% of engaged couples ask a friend/family member to get ordained to marry them.
* Almost all couples incorporate wedding traditions into their big day, including cake cutting, first dances, toasts, and wearing something old, new, borrowed, and blue.
* Before their wedding ceremony, 67% of brides choose not to see their groom (down from 75% in 2006).
* Once married, 82% of brides plan to take their fiancé's last name.
* For their wedding ceremony, 53% of couples opt for traditional wedding vows.
* In lieu of favors, 9% now make donations to charities.
* Couples spend $508 on gifts for each other, down from $582 in 2012. The watch is the top gift for the groom, and jewelry is the top gift for the bride.
* They'll also spend an additional $760 on gifts for parents ($262), bridesmaids ($308), and groomsmen ($280).
* Once engaged, 80% set up a wedding Web site, and 60% manage the RSVPs online.
* One in 4 couples (26%) now use evites or emails to invite guests to the wedding or save the date.
Respondents were women ages 18+, either engaged or married within the year. The sample included women who have visited Brides.com or the BRIDES Facebook page or are BRIDES magazine subscribers, representing more engaged women than any other media outlet. Respondents were surveyed between March 4 and April 1, 2014.
In more than 79 years of publication, BRIDES has remained the most widely read magazine in the category and the country's foremost authority on engagement, weddings, and marriage. BRIDES is a bimonthly publication, published by Condé Nast, and reaches over five million readers. Brides.com is a leading resource for engaged women, with original content, image galleries, and interactive tools such as checklists, the virtual ring designer, the virtual dressing room, countdowns, and inspiration boards that enable brides to create, save, and share ideas via Web and mobile. BRIDES is available digitally for the iPad and seven-inch tablets and through the popular BRIDES Wedding Genius App. BRIDES stationery lines with Michaels craft stores and Checkerboard Fine Papers are available online and in retail stores across the country. For more information on BRIDES, please visit Brides.com.
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Apr. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,530
GENBAND introduced its Real Time Communications (RTC) Client for Lync* to seamlessly combine real-time communications with Lync Instant Messaging (IM) and Presence. “We’re shaking up the economics of delivering Unified Communications (UC) and offering a compelling way to integrate previously bespoke communications technologies,” said Carl Baptiste, GENBAND’s Senior Vice President, Enterprise Solutions. “We’re offering enterprises the best of both worlds by combining our own high availability voice, video and collaboration with Lync’s IM and Presence; creating a single, web centric, client. O...
Apr. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,732
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Apr. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,443
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and Care Packs. As a trusted supplier, CBS guarantees quality controlled stock levels thanks to an Auto...
Apr. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,363
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. It also ensured scalability and better service for customers, including MUY! Companies, one of the country's largest franchise restaurant companies with 232 Pizza Hut locations. This is one example of WebRTC adoption today, but the potential is limitless when powered by IoT.
Apr. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,294
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 26, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,691
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the M2M space. This really allows some room for influential individuals to create more high value inter...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,132
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place November 3–5, 2015 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from ...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,817
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 5,840
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions, faster.
Apr. 26, 2015 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,902
Participants will reach the final if their IoT solution is liked. A community vote will determine the best solutions submitted in each country, after which an expert jury will select the national winners and the best international IoT solution. Each country's best solution can win a national marketing campaign worth up to €30,000 and become a partner in Deutsche Telekom's participating markets. The winning international solution can become partner of Deutsche Telekom Group across all eight countries and reach out to a potential of 10,8 million business customers. Deutsche Telekom Group has a...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,252
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,429
Recent technology advances in miniaturization has positioned the wearables as the pinnacle of technology convergence with the human body. We inquire if wearables are mere standard miniaturized devices extended with the connectivity and present our views on considerations like design, applications, performance, efficiency, interoperability, usage scenarios, human device interaction and consequent trade-offs enabling wearables to impart optimal value.
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,174
WebRTC Summit has announced today that Peter Dunkley has been named summit chair of WebRTC Summit 2015 New York. The 4th International WebRTC Summit will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in Manhattan, New York. @ThingsExpo anticipates 90% of WebRTC companies & developers will monetize their products & services through IoT by 2016. Peter Dunkley is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS7, ISDN and simi...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,194
In this session we look at creating interactive communications via the web by adding messaging, file transfer, and group communication (group chat and audio/video conferencing) into the web experience. We will also discuss potential applications of this technology in areas including B2B, B2C, P2P, and gaming. Peter is Technical Director at Acision. He graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2000 with a BSc (Hons) in Computer Science. After graduation Peter worked on a PSTN switch developing signalling stacks for SS7, ISDN and similar protocols and creating advanced routing and serv...
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,232
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,219
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business application (BYOA) platform, and workflow automation system.
Apr. 26, 2015 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,724
SYS-CON Events announced today that ProfitBricks, the provider of painless cloud infrastructure, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ProfitBricks is the IaaS provider that offers a painless cloud experience for all IT users, with no learning curve. ProfitBricks boasts flexible cloud servers and networking, an integrated Data Center Designer tool f...
Apr. 26, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,790
SYS-CON Events announced today that Dyn, the worldwide leader in Internet Performance, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Dyn is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Through a world-class network and unrivaled, objective intelligence into Internet conditions, Dyn ensures traffic gets delivered faster, safer, and more reliably than ever.
Apr. 26, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,552
SYS-CON Events announced today that Open Data Centers (ODC), a carrier-neutral colocation provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Open Data Centers is a carrier-neutral data center operator in New Jersey and New York City offering alternative connectivity options for carriers, service providers and enterprise customers.
Apr. 26, 2015 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,902