|By Marketwired .||
|July 10, 2014 07:32 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwired) -- 07/10/14 -- Today, Michelle Myers, vice president and publisher of BRIDES -- the number-one bridal brand in the world -- announced the results from the 2014 American Wedding Study, the definitive analysis of spending and behavior around wedding planning. For decades, BRIDES has conducted this conclusive survey, which provides key insights into emerging and established trends surrounding this economically charged and habit-forming life phase.
"BRIDES is proud to present the 2014 American Wedding Study. This year's results show that today's bride and groom are willing to invest to get the wedding of their dreams. They are spending over $28,000, on average, which is the highest we've seen in nearly 20 years -- and they are often covering the cost themselves," Myers said. "Bridal media has never been more relevant in inspiring and informing their purchase decisions, and BRIDES continues to be their number one resource."
Results of the 2014 BRIDES American Wedding Study show that the importance of personalization continues to rise, even when it comes to how couples will incorporate tradition. For example, 37% of them chose to write their own vows. More couples are paying their own way for their weddings than ever before, and despite that fact, the average cost has increased. This means people are often willing to extend their engagement to save for the big day.
Social media is playing a bigger role than ever for brides, with 54% of brides using Pinterest to communicate their wedding-day vision to planners and vendors and 64% pinning content to aggregate inspiration for the big day. Brides-to-be are also using social media to communicate with their friends and family; 59% posted a picture of their engagement ring after receiving it, and 46% say most of their friends learned of their engagement through social media.
Perhaps taking a cue from Hollywood, 10% of couples already have children together when they say their I do's, up from 7% in 2012. Within a month of dating, 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one."
May has taken the top spot over June as the most popular month to get married, with 15% of brides getting married in May. June is now tied for second with September and October (each at 13%). January and February are the least popular (2% each).
Couples are choosing to blend the old with the new, preserving select traditions that resonate most with their vision for their big day. For example, 20% of couples are married by a friend or family member ordained for the occasion, instead of a religious officiant, up from 14% in 2011.
* The average wedding cost is $28,202, an increase of slightly more than $1,213 since 2012.
* The reception accounts for 43% of wedding costs, with an average price tag of $12,343.
* Outside of the reception, the largest chunks of money are going to engagement rings ($5,002), photography and video ($3,378), music ($1,297), and wedding rings ($1,727).
* The average wedding cake costs $461.
* The current average cost of an engagement ring is $5,002, down $229 from 2012's average cost of $5,229.
* The average wedding dress costs $1,380, up $25 from 2012's average cost of $1,355.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134, consistent with the cost in 2012.
* Since some items were more expansive than expected, 79% rework the budget.
* To save for the wedding they want, 62% of couples say they are willing to have a longer engagement.
* Social media has become the number-one way for brides-to-be to connect with wedding brands/products during planning, with 75% doing so vs. 56% in 2012.
* Pinterest leads the pack, with 67% pinning content (up from 43% in 2012).
* After telling close friends and family 71% of brides-to-be changed their social-media status to "engaged."
* After receiving an engagement ring, 59% posted a picture of it to social networks.
* To spread the news about their engagement to friends, 46% relied on social media.
* While 64% pin content on Pinterest to come back to, purchase or execute for their wedding, another 54% show their wedding vendors their Pinterest boards.
* To keep their guests informed throughout the planning process, 37% of brides-to-be post photos and updates from cake tastings and vendor visits.
* Some brides issue a social media ban; 11% ask guests not to post photos of their wedding day on a social-media site.
* To plan/shop for the wedding 63% use a social-media app.
* December is still the most popular month of the year to get engaged (19%).
* The average length of engagement is 14.7 months.
* Today's average bride is 28 years old, and her groom is 29.
* Prior to getting married, 80% of couples live together, and 66% do prior to engagement.
* Before marriage, 30% of couples have children, and 10% already have children together.
* Only 64% of couples are having engagement photos taken.
* On their wedding night 73% of couples have sex.
* Within a month of dating 48% of brides knew their fiancé was "the one".
* On their first date 10% of engaged couples had sex; 27% after 2-3 dates, and 29% after one month of dating.
* Only 32% have an engagement party.
* Wedding weekends include multiple events 18% of the time.
* Of all weddings, 16% are destination.
* Of those having a destination wedding, they are inviting less guests (102 vs. the 142 of the average wedding) but providing "extras" for out-of-towners, such as gift bags at check-in (60%), shuttle buses to the ceremony/reception (36%), and planned activities beyond the wedding (34%).
* At destination weddings 30% of couples are providing hotel accommodations for guests.
* Only 21% have a bridesmaids' luncheon.
* Destination bachelor/bachelorette parties are popular, with 43% of brides choosing to take the party on the road.
* The after party is a growing trend, with 21% of brides opting for one following the reception.
* Today's bride is also spending another $617 on wedding-day accessories like jewelry, a headpiece, and a veil.
* White and off-white still dominate with 92% of brides selecting either color for their wedding dress.
* Veils are not seen as frequently; only 55% of brides are choosing to wear one.
* A small portion of the population is choosing to break from the traditional gown with 11% wearing cocktail length, separates, jumpsuits, or a color other than white.
* Multiple dresses have become 9% purchase a second wedding dress for the reception, with another 8% buying another dress or outfit for the after-party.
* Most brides -- 84% -- are still incorporating something old, new borrowed and blue into their wardrobe for their wedding day.
* Tuxedos are most popular with 61% of grooms wearing one for their big day, while 33% choose to wear a suit.
* While renting remains the most popular option, more than one of three grooms purchases his attire.
* The majority of weddings (91%) have a maid/matron of honor; one out of 10 (10%) includes a man of honor.
* Most grooms -- 88% -- are still opting to have a best man, and 7% have a best woman (up from 5% in 2012).
* Almost all couples have a wedding party, with 99% saying they have bridal attendants and 98% groomsmen/ushers.
* The average bridesmaids' dress costs $134.
* Flowers girls are part of the wedding party 65% of the time, and 57% feature a ring bearer.
* Pets are included in the ceremony at 8% of weddings.
* Brides are opting to be less matchy-matchy when it comes to their bridesmaids; 62% of brides choose a color and let their bridesmaids choose the dress style, and 72% match in either color or style but not both.
* Only 38% have all bridesmaids matching in color and style.
WEDDING AND RECEPTION
* May has become the most popular month for weddings, accounting for 15%. April is also growing in share, representing 9% of weddings.
* Houses of worship are chosen 5% of the time for wedding ceremonies
* When selecting their officiant, 18% of engaged couples ask a friend/family member to get ordained to marry them.
* Almost all couples incorporate wedding traditions into their big day, including cake cutting, first dances, toasts, and wearing something old, new, borrowed, and blue.
* Before their wedding ceremony, 67% of brides choose not to see their groom (down from 75% in 2006).
* Once married, 82% of brides plan to take their fiancé's last name.
* For their wedding ceremony, 53% of couples opt for traditional wedding vows.
* In lieu of favors, 9% now make donations to charities.
* Couples spend $508 on gifts for each other, down from $582 in 2012. The watch is the top gift for the groom, and jewelry is the top gift for the bride.
* They'll also spend an additional $760 on gifts for parents ($262), bridesmaids ($308), and groomsmen ($280).
* Once engaged, 80% set up a wedding Web site, and 60% manage the RSVPs online.
* One in 4 couples (26%) now use evites or emails to invite guests to the wedding or save the date.
Respondents were women ages 18+, either engaged or married within the year. The sample included women who have visited Brides.com or the BRIDES Facebook page or are BRIDES magazine subscribers, representing more engaged women than any other media outlet. Respondents were surveyed between March 4 and April 1, 2014.
In more than 79 years of publication, BRIDES has remained the most widely read magazine in the category and the country's foremost authority on engagement, weddings, and marriage. BRIDES is a bimonthly publication, published by Condé Nast, and reaches over five million readers. Brides.com is a leading resource for engaged women, with original content, image galleries, and interactive tools such as checklists, the virtual ring designer, the virtual dressing room, countdowns, and inspiration boards that enable brides to create, save, and share ideas via Web and mobile. BRIDES is available digitally for the iPad and seven-inch tablets and through the popular BRIDES Wedding Genius App. BRIDES stationery lines with Michaels craft stores and Checkerboard Fine Papers are available online and in retail stores across the country. For more information on BRIDES, please visit Brides.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,371
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 27, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 748
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,262
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 27, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,900
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,848
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,307
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,140
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,031
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,178
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,566
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 27, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,125
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 27, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,196
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 27, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,226
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,415
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,140
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,382
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,945
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,289
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 27, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,559
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,501