|By Business Wire||
|July 1, 2014 06:00 AM EDT||
The mobile payments company Fortumo and mobile operator Telenor Pakistan are today launching direct carrier billing in Pakistan. More than 35 million subscribers of Telenor Pakistan are now able to make easy online payments by charging purchases to their phone bill. Fortumo will also start powering in-app purchasing for Telenor App Store.
“Right now merchants are missing out on a great deal of revenue from emerging markets because very few users have credit cards which are needed to make payments in Google Play. Meanwhile, carrier billing can be used by anyone with a mobile phone. Together with Telenor, which is one of the most innovative mobile operators in the region, we are providing end-users with a means to pay for high-quality content while adding previously unavailable revenue to developers,” said Gerri Kodres, SVP of Business Development & Carrier Relations at Fortumo.
“An enormous part of Telenor Pakistan’s subscriber base comprises of a young population which represents a strong potential to reach apps, games and web services developers' user base. Through the partnership with Fortumo, developers can start accepting purchases from these users through direct carrier billing - the most widely available payment method in emerging markets,“ said Muhammd Farooq Shaikh, Director Digital Services, Telenor Pakistan. “The facility will play a big role in promoting online commerce through convenience and accessibility,” he added.
Less than 1.5 million people in Pakistan own credit cards while there over 130 million mobile phone users in the country. Therefore, mobile operator billing increases merchants’ payment coverage in the country almost 90 times. Smartphone ownership in Pakistan is estimated to grow by 50% this year and is currently around 15%. Smartphone adoption will further be accelerated with the launch of 3G services by Telenor Pakistan and other operators in the country.
Telenor has also implemented Fortumo in-app purchasing in its Telenor App Store which features games from top developers like Gameloft, GLU Mobile and Creative Mobile. Developers who want to earn additional revenue from Telenor App Store can sign up at http://fortumo.com/telenorpakistan.
In addition to Telenor App Store, Fortumo’s Android SDK can be used in dozens of other Android marketplaces with just one integration.
As announced in May 2013, Fortumo has signed global framework agreement with Telenor Group, covering 12 countries in Europe & Asia.
Direct carrier billing lets users make payments over a data connection by confirming payments with one click on their phone. Since the mobile operator has all the information necessary to process the payment, this removes the need to send any text messages during the payment process. In markets where Fortumo provides direct carrier billing, payment conversion for first-time payments is close to 40% and higher for repeat purchases.
Fortumo offers self-service setup with no monthly fees or minimum volume commitments, allowing any developer regardless of size and location to sign up for an account and get started with mobile payments at http://fortumo.com.
Fortumo allows any merchant to set up payment processing for web and mobile services, games or apps. Users with a mobile phone are then able to make one-click payments using Fortumo without the need for a credit card - payments are charged to their mobile operator bill instead. Fortumo payments are cross-platform and work in PC applications, web services and HTML5, Android, Windows Phone and Windows 8 apps. Fortumo supports payments in 81 countries through 300 mobile operators, including a number of exclusive direct carrier billing partnerships. Founded in 2007, Fortumo has offices in Estonia, San Francisco, Beijing and Delhi and is backed by Intel Capital and Greycroft Partners.
About Telenor Pakistan
Telenor Pakistan is a provider of high quality telecommunication services in Pakistan since 2005. It has 35 million subscribers, over 2800 employees and a nationwide network covering more than 8,000 cities. It holds a majority share in Tameer Micro Finance Bank Limited. Telenor Pakistan is 100% owned by Telenor ASA and adds on to operations in Asia. For more information www.telenor.com.pk
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict