|By Shelly Palmer||
|April 27, 2014 04:00 PM EDT||
Thomas Friedman did every job seeker a huge solid with his recent column.
The NY Times journalist sat down with Laszlo Bock, the head of hiring for all of Google (“SVP of People Operations”), and asked, among several career topics, what’s your best advice for job interviews?
“What you want to do is say: ‘Here’s the attribute I’m going to demonstrate; here’s the story demonstrating it; here’s how that story demonstrated that attribute.’…Most people in an interview don’t make explicit their thought process behind how or why they did something and, even if they are able to come up with a compelling story, they are unable to explain their thought process.”
Bock’s advice is sound and a topic often covered in News to Live By. Don’t TELL employers you’re skilled at this or that…SHOW them with a personal story. Give people an example to wrap their heads around.
It’s not: “I have several years experience with tight deadlines and managing critical projects”
Instead, recount a memorable story during the interview: “I can remember this one time… we had the ballroom 100% ready for the client’s big charity gala… all the table decorations set up. And suddenly, with 19 hours to spare, the client decides she doesn’t like the floral arrangements and wants all new ones. So I quickly got on the phone with the florist, ordered new flowers for all the tables, went to pick them up — even had to drive a giant SUV through downtown at 5 pm — brought the flowers to the ballroom, put them on all 37 tables and had the room ready with about an hour to spare.
It was a challenging day, but I got it done and proved I can deal with stress, make quick decisions and problem solve.”
Which version would an employer find most valuable during the interview?
Stories also do wonders in cover letters. Here’s an easy explanation on how and why to lead your cover letter with a relevant personal anecdote.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict