|By PR.com Newswire||
|April 24, 2014 06:42 AM EDT||
Mountain View, CA, April 24, 2014 --(PR.com)-- Engineers in US and India Team Come Together to Create Apps Making India More Resilient to Natural Disasters
Code for India, the non-profit organization that inspires techies to volunteer their time and talent to the developing world, today announced a first-of-its-kind parallel India-United States hackathon to be held May 9-11 at the Google campuses in Bangalore and in Mountain View. The event will gather engineers interested in creating technology-based applications that empower poor populations to address specific public service delivery problems.
Infosys Founder and Chairman N.R. Narayan Murthy and Google Senior Vice President Amit Singhal will provide keynote remarks.
The hackathon is co-sponsored by the World Bank Institute, the World Bank Group’s Open Finances team and Code For Resilience, a project of the Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery and ICT Unit of the World Bank in partnership with Code for Japan. Other partners and supporters include Amazon, Cisco, Google, TiE (The Indus Entrepreneurs), NASSCOM Foundation and AFI (Action for India).
“Code For India is one of the fastest growing tech-driven non-profits with thousands of volunteering engineers from Google, Facebook, Linkedin, VMware, Oracle, Cisco, Visa, Infosys, and many more engaging to promote transparency, participation and efficiency in the way local people can voice their concern and find solutions,” said Karl Mehta, founder of Code for India and venture partner at Menlo Ventures. “The transformative power of technology will aid India -- and other developing countries facing similar problems --fight the failing public service infrastructure.”
A key theme of the event is making India more resilient to natural disasters like earthquakes, drought or cyclones. Teams of hackers that register their disaster resilience apps at www.CodeForResilience.org by May 11, 2014 will be eligible for a grand prize trip to London, England to pitch their idea to an audience of over 800 disaster risk management experts gathering for the Understanding Risk conference.
The hackathon also will seek to catalyze developers to consider the commercial value of open data in India, including social enterprise opportunities. With the launch of India’s Open Government Data Platform, opportunities for developers to identify market gaps, create new data-driven products and services, and improve operational efficiency in existing organizations are steadily growing.
The World Bank Institute and the World Bank Group’s Open Finances team have provided open data sets to Code for India for the event. These data sets include development and financial data as well as existing public sector and IFC projects, and will be a critical resource for participants in the hackathon.
More details about how to register for the Code for India hackathon can be found at http://codeforindia.org/cfi-hackathon/
About Code For India
“Think Local, Hack Global” is the mantra for Code for India engineers who are building apps that empower marginalized communities with technology-based solutions to solve public service problems. Code for India is a non-profit organization based in Mountain View, CA and Bangalore, India. Its mission is to inspire millions of techies to volunteer their time and talent to give back to their communities and to the developing world. More information on Code for India – including the open source code for its solutions – please visit http://codeforindia.org/
@cfi_india announces 1st ever hackathon in #Bangalore co-sponsored by @Code4Resilience & @WB_Institute
Code for India
Code For India
Contact via Email
Read the full story here: http://www.pr.com/press-release/554753
Press Release Distributed by PR.com
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict