|By Yakov Fain||
|April 23, 2014 05:26 PM EDT||
First, there was no GMail. There were Yahoo!, hotmail, aol, and other OK email services. At work, we were forced to use Microsoft Outlook. I happened to select Yahoo!. It had simple to use interface and it worked. Then Google created an exemplary GMail single-page Web client plus smart spam filtering on the server.
I opened an email account [email protected]. I’m not afraid of spam otherwise I would have written a naive yakovfain at gmail dot com. Yeah, right! Now I got two email accounts.
Yahoo! looked at GMail, and decided: “Me too”. But it’s easily said than done. It looks like their engineering team that works on Yahoo! email client had no budget to hire people with the right skills, and over the last several years their Web interface was steadily changing from bad to worst.
If there was a world competition for the Worst Rich Internet Application, Yahoo! mail client would have easily won the gold medal. Everything is inconvenient and non-intuitive there. Scrollbars barely work. you can’t simply highlight and copy the email of a recipient – need to go through a popup menu that will work every other time. You can’t create a filter to put messages on a particular folder. It simply feels bad.
I did’t want to close my Yahoo! mail account because lots of people have it in their Contacts. Finally they got me today. After complaining about it to my younger son, he just asked, why won’t you just forward all of Yahoo! emails to your Gmail account? And why wouldn’t I?
For years my GMail client is pulling all my work emails for our company’s mail server. I could have set Yahoo! the same way. But I didn’t want my Yahoo account to accumulate any emails sent to me. After quick search I found an easy way to set up the mail forwarding without storing. This is how I did it:
1. Click on the Gears icon on top right, and select Settings.
2. Select the Viewing Email on the left and then switch from Full Featured (tecommended by them) to Basic (recommended by me).
3. Select Option in the dropdown on the top right.
4. On the right hand side select Pop & Forwarding.
5. Enter your gmail address on the right and Forward only in the dropbox.
This way you still can keep your Yahoo! mail account, but all new emails will be forwarded to your gmail account. In the Mail Accounts section you can set your email address in the the Reply To box, so gradually, your contacts will get used to the fact that you’re using gmail now.
Hope this helps.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict