|By Bob Gourley||
|March 29, 2014 09:27 AM EDT||
Nearly everyone has an opinion of Steve Jobs. Since his death in 2011, a bad movie, a weighty autobiography, and numerous anecdotes have surfaced – describing his inexhaustible ambition, his excitable, and his disrespect for others.
Perhaps you have heard pieces of the rumored fish tank incident? After painstakingly designing and building the world’s very first iPod, a team of engineers presented their creation to Jobs, who immediately rejected the mode. Too big. When the engineers pushed back – maintaining that they had “reinvented reinventing” to make the iPod its small size, Jobs dropped the prototype in a nearby aquarium. When bubbles floated to the surface, Jobs snapped, “Those are air bubbles. That means there’s space in there. Make it smaller.”
Many internal Apple correspondences have recently surfaced following a Department of Justice investigation into (illegal) wage fixing at tech companies. A recently unearthed document yields a revealing exchange between Jobs and Eric Schmidt, executive chairman at Google. Responding to an employee’s forbidden attempt to recruit out of Apple’s workforce, Schmidt summarily had the employee fired.
Jobs’ response – “ :) ”
Still, didn’t this man change the world? “Steve Jobs was a genius, and one of the most important businessmen and inventors of our time.” We idolize his determination, but he was a man that reveled in the termination of another’s livelihood. I love my iPhone, but – for what it’s worth – I’d pick a kinder world over a smartphone every time.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict