|By PR Newswire||
|February 16, 2014 04:00 AM EST||
77% of Brits are after something a little more weird and wonderful when booking their UK accommodation
- 52% of Brits already experimenting with alternative accommodation
- 70% say they would be most excited about staying in a castle
- Booking.com reveals list of some of the most surprising stays in the UK
LONDON, Feb. 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- British holidaymakers are craving something more surprising and a little 'out of the ordinary' when booking their UK accommodation, according to research* from Booking.com. Statistics released today show that more than three quarters (77%) of Brits would like to be able to stay somewhere a little more unusual when taking a trip in the UK.
The poll of more than 2,000 Brits also highlighted how almost one fifth look for more adventurous stays close to home, with 19% stating that they like to enjoy something quintessentially British. When asked about what they look for in an alternative place to stay, Brits say they would be most excited about a stay in a castle or other historical building (70%), with 13% claiming they like to be able to live out a childhood fantasy when holidaying in the UK.
From the 25 million reviews from holidaymakers on its site, Booking.com has identified some of the most highly rated properties from across the country. With 52% of Brits already experimenting by staying everywhere from castles to refurbished prisons, Booking.com has created a list of ten of the most surprising stays. The list includes a Llama Bed & Breakfast (with real life llamas), an apartment boat based on the Titanic and a refurbished railway station which allows you to spend the night in a restored train carriage.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK:
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock
- The Little Hide, York
- The Cider Works, Dover
It would also appear it is the little things that make the biggest difference when it comes to British holidaymakers booking their 'staycation'. Ensuring it is cosy enough to distract from the typical British weather (27%) and being able to get hold of their home comforts, such as being able to make a cup of tea (10%) are amongst the most popular determining factors. Almost one in ten base their accommodation decision purely on the quality of the sausage they get for breakfast.
Jason Grist, spokesperson for Booking.com commented; "We know Brits take longer to plan their accommodation, making sure they get it right really makes a holiday. One in ten Brits never like to take the same holiday twice, so we're sharing the alternative and diverse properties available to help to ensure they have the best experience every time,"
With more than 25 different varieties and over 424,000 properties in 195 countries, Booking.com has the best accommodation offering in the world, making it the perfect complement for the savvy British traveller.
*Consumer research of 2,234 British holidaymakers conducted by Censuswide, February 2013.
Ten of the most surprising stays in the UK as chosen by Booking.com;
- Llamas Pyjamas B&B, Penrith: Ever enjoyed a full English breakfast with a Llama? At this five star B&B you can do just that as well as taking a llama lingo course – to help you communicate telepathically with animals. Animal loving visitors have flocked both nationally and internationally to get up close and personal with these furry friends at this one of a kind destination. This Penrith B&B has even become a buzz on social media across China!
- The Old Railway Station, Petworth: The perfect stay for any rail enthusiast and widely acknowledged as Britain's most beautiful railway station. Built in 1892 for the Prince of Wales, you will feel like royalty yourself as you lay your head for the night inside a rare Edwardian Pullman railway carriage.
- Camp Katur, North Yorkshire: For a camping trip with a difference this extraordinary 250 acre estate comprise of luxury safari tents, tepees and woodland hobbit pods! This eco-friendly site allows you to camp without electricity and enjoy an eco-spa on site.
- Coombe Abbey Hotel, Coventry: Specialising in murder mysteries, ghost tours and medieval banquets, this unique Cistercian Abbey was partially designed by William Winde, who was also responsible for creating the most famous home in the country – Buckingham Palace. Bethany, who works at the Abbey comments, "You might even find little surprises such as discovering your bathroom hidden behind a bookcase!"
- Houseboat Hotels, Sheffield: These stylish houseboats offer a unique guest experience and are the only offering of its kind in the UK. Docked in Sheffield's Victoria Quays the boats are only a short walk from the city but provide the tranquillity of being at a country retreat.
- The Witchery by the Castle, Edinburgh: With seven in ten Brits saying they would be most excited about spending the night in a castle, nowhere is more magical than The Witchery. In the shadow of the famous Edinburgh Castle, The Witchery has its original carved door lintel and winding turret staircase and is a must stay for a 16th century historical enthusiasts.
- Penny Lane Hotel, Liverpool: The perfect place for any Beatles fan to rest after a 'hard day's night' - unlike many other music-themed hotels, reviewers have commented that Penny Lane has been "tastefully renovated". Hotel rooms have a view of the bus shelter at Penny Lane Junction, where John Lennon and Paul McCartney used to meet.
- Titanic Boat, Liverpool Albert Dock: You don't need to be Kate Winslet or Leonardo DiCaprio to experience this stunning apartment boat, designed to resemble the original Titanic. With its crystal chandeliers and floors copied from the lounge on the original ship you will feel like you have stepped back into the golden age of travel.
- The Little Hide, York: Camping, even in the great British weather, can be made cosy and warm thanks to this 'grown up glamping' site. Each of these cute bespoke camping pods were built locally to the owner's specifications, which she also stained and waxed herself by hand!
- The Cider Works, Dover: What's not to love about beautiful holiday apartments where cider is also produced? Opened by the Earl of Guildford two years ago, this family-run guest house, café and cider-processing combo has already racked up an 'exceptional' 9.5 rating on Booking.com.
Booking.com is the world leader in booking hotel and other accommodations online. It guarantees the best prices for any type of property – from small independents to five-star luxury. Guests can access the Booking.com website anytime, anywhere from their desktops, mobile phones and tablet devices, and they don't pay booking fees – ever. The Booking.com website is available in 41 languages, offers more than 424,000 hotels and accommodations in 195 countries, features 25 million reviews written by guests after their stay, and attracts online visitors from both leisure and business markets around the globe. With over 17 years of experience and a team of over 6,400 dedicated employees in 115+ offices worldwide, Booking.com operates its own in-house customer service team, which is available 24/7 to assist guests in their native languages and ensure an exceptional customer experience.
Established in 1996, Booking.com B.V. owns and operates Booking.com™, and is part of The Priceline Group (NASDAQ: PCLN). Follow us on Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest, like us on Facebook, or learn more at http://www.booking.com.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Sep. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,993
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,626
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,041
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,538
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 439
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,005
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,165
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,402
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,592
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,906
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Sep. 26, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,619
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,732
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,571
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,642
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,723
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,597
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,191
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,647
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,437