|By Marketwired .||
|January 20, 2014 11:00 AM EST||
NEW ORLEANS, LA -- (Marketwired) -- 01/20/14 -- Whether dining in New Orleans hotel restaurants or venturing into the French Quarter, visitors to The Big Easy might be confused about the difference between Cajun and Creole cuisines. While the two certainly share a number of techniques and ingredients, there are distinctive differences as identified in the latest infographic from Marriott Hotels & Resorts.
Cajun cooking began in the countryside surrounding New Orleans, with cooks using whatever resources were available from Louisiana's swamps and bayous. Creole, on the other hand, was born in the city, where a variety of ingredients was available. Just consider the critters found in the namesakes of two classic dishes: Cajun crawfish boil and Creole oysters Rockefeller.
With strong roots in French cooking, both cuisines use roux in many of the dishes, however Cajun mixes lard or oil with the thickening flour, while Creole leans toward using butter with flour.
Even in dishes that share the same name, Cajun and Creole chefs have their own distinguishing characteristics. Cajun gumbo uses a thickening roux, while Creole gumbo starts with a soup-like tomato base. The use of tomatoes by Creole chefs in jambalaya is another clue, as their Cajun counterparts leave it out. Another vegetable that Creole cooking tends to favor is okra, the edible seed pod of a plant that came to America from West Africa.
No trip to New Orleans is complete without discovering the best cooking Louisiana has to offer. Make plans to sample both Cajun and Creole fare during your next trip to New Orleans, and choose to stay with Marriott for the best in hospitality and dining.
Marriott is the leading lodging company with properties on 6 continents across 17 brands worldwide with an extensive brand portfolio sure to meet your needs and style. Learn more about Marriott's hotels, hotel deals and weekend getaways or visit Marriott on G+ at https://plus.google.com/+marriott or our official website at www.Marriott.com.
Southern Food Creole and Cajun Cookery
Southern Food Oysters Rockefeller
Huffington Post Cajun vs. Creole: What's the Difference?
Louisiana CVB Cajun vs. Creole - What is the Difference?
Archives Cajun and Creole Genealogy
WiseGEEK What is the Difference Between Creole and Cajun
New Orleans French Quarter Cajun, Creolo or Somewhere in Between
NOLA Cuisine Maque Choux Recipe
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2491670
10400 Fernwood Rd
Bethesda, MD 20817
E-mail: Email Contact
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict