|By Business Wire||
|January 20, 2014 09:00 AM EST||
Serving more than three million public sector employees across federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as K-12 and higher education institutions, Kronos Incorporated today announced the top trends and issues that will impact the public sector workforce in 2014. Videos related to these trends are also available.
Top Trends for 2014
- Open Data Governance – Citizen engagement is a growing theme in the public sector and this is driving the concept of open data, creating an environment of “open government”. In several cities, residents are already taking an active role in improving the community. For example, one leading city government is piloting a mobile application that collects road condition data as residents commute. The expectation that the public sector workforce will partner with citizens to bring solutions to real problems will grow in 2014.
- Healthcare Reform Readiness – Recent Kronos surveys1 show that 84 percent of government agencies and 82 percent of educational institutions are either not prepared at all or somewhat prepared for the upcoming Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting requirements. Even though the federal government issued a one-year delay related to the “shared responsibilities” requirements, it is still imperative that government agencies and educational institutions use this extra time to take a more strategic and thoughtful approach to how they will manage the changes associated with the ACA.
- Engage a Multi-Generational Workforce – A significant portion of the public sector workforce will approach retirement age over the next few years. This dynamic heightens the urgency of knowledge transfer and effective management of multiple generations of employees including boomers, Generation X-ers, and millennials.
- To address these issues, workforce management will need to be simplified in 2014 – Currently, government agencies and educational institutions are collecting more labor data than ever before, but this information is trapped in disparate systems and silos. Workforce analytics applications will need to be implemented so costly errors are preempted, citizen engagement is optimized, and labor utilization is reported back to the funding source. Also, moving workforce management applications and data to the cloud will remain front and center in 2014 to improve reliability and reduce costs. And mobile applications will continue to transform the way the public sector workforce operates by accessing timely information leveraging the devices they use in their daily, personal lives.
Christine Carmichael, director, public sector practice group, Kronos
“Like any other year, in 2014 the public sector leadership will be charged with increasing accountability and transparency. But what will be different are the more imminent cost pressures resulting from an uncertain economy and the upcoming healthcare reform. Increasing efficiencies around payroll and other workforce processes can be a game changer for the public sector as the workforce is typically a public sector organization’s largest controllable expense. And adoption of analytics, cloud, and mobile workforce management applications can dramatically improve operational efficiencies and also very importantly increase employee engagement.”
- Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
- Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2014 Kronos Incorporated. Kronos and the Kronos logo are registered trademarks and Workforce Innovation That Works is a trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Footnote 1: How Will the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Impact Your
Government Agency? Governing Institute, 2013;
The New Credit Hour: Higher Education and the Affordable Care Act, Center for Digital Education, 2013; and
The Bottom Line: K-12 and the Affordable Care Act, Center for Digital Education, 2013.
Footnote 2: Bureau of Labor Statistics: Current Population Survey, 2012.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict