|By PR Newswire||
|February 28, 2013 12:48 PM EST||
LONDON, BRUSSELS and BURBANK, Calif., Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- nWave Pictures, an nWave Studios company, is pleased to announce the acquisition of worldwide distribution rights to "Penguins 3D" (working title) from the award-winning British company, Atlantic Productions, creators of the BAFTA-winning "Flying Monsters 3D." Written and narrated by renowned naturalist and veteran filmmaker David Attenborough, this tale of the epic journey of one special penguin will be released in the US on May 24, 2013 in time for Memorial Day weekend.
"Penguins 3D," which comes in 40- and 20-minute versions, 3D and 2D, 15-perf./70-mm, and digital in 4K and 2K, will be available from nWave exclusively, for exhibition at IMAX theatres, REALD and digital 3D giant screen cinemas. The film depicts the fortunes of a young male King Penguin, who returns to the place where he was born and raised. Known as Penguin City, this sub-Antarctic island is home to albatrosses, leopard seals and elephant seals—and six million penguins! Somehow our hero must earn his place among the inhabitants and fulfill his destiny by finding a mate and raising a family.
"We are thrilled and proud to work with Atlantic on the big screen release of this mesmerizing, 3D story-driven film that will wow kids and families alike," says Eric Dillens, chairman of nWave Studios. "This film acquisition marks an important step for our distribution company in our new strategy to provide a continuous flow of stunning and factually accurate films for exhibition in IMAX theatres and digital 3D cinemas at major US and international institutional and entertainment venues."
"Audiences have loved our recreation of pterosaurs in Flying Monsters 3D and we're excited to be partnering with nWave to bring them this new giant screen film," says Anthony Geffen, Chief Executive Officer of Atlantic Productions and Producer of "Penguins 3D." "We think they will love the characters, the story, and the amazing visuals in the world of these fun and fascinating animals."
"To be at the cutting edge, when you know that you're doing something that no one has done before, is exciting and a great privilege," said David Attenborough. "While this island may be remote, it is far from barren. It bears witness to some of the most spectacular sights in the natural world, including giant birds such as the albatross and one of the world's largest gatherings of King Penguins."
"Penguins 3D" was produced by Atlantic Productions in association with British media powerhouse BSkyB and US-based Galileo Digital Entertainment. The action takes place on the remote island of South Georgia, a British overseas territory in the southern Atlantic Ocean. It was filmed in 4K 3D, entirely on location over a five-month period. Production lasted 14 months.
"You can have any number of brilliant 3D shots, but without a compelling story at its heart the film won't work," adds Anthony Geffen. "What the 3D medium offers is a uniquely intimate experience, inviting audiences to literally step inside the world of the King Penguin. This is a truly ground-breaking film set in a virtually unknown sub-Antarctic location."
The industry premiere of "Penguins 3D" will be hosted in March 2013 during the Giant Screen Cinema Association (GSCA) 2013 Film Expo, at Moody Gardens in Galveston (TX).
The film is recommended for General Audiences and has been rated "U" (Universal) by the British Board of Film Classification (the US equivalent is the Motion Pictures Association of America).
The film's official website is http://www.PenguinsTheFilm.com
About nWave Studios
nWave Studios, an associate company of StudioCanal, is the first fully integrated digital studio in the world specializing exclusively in the production and distribution of immersive stereoscopic/3D films. The studio's history dates back to 1994, when it was founded by Ben Stassen and D&D Entertainment Group, an independent TV production company. The Belgian company quickly established itself as the world's leading independent producer and distributor of specialty films for attractions, ride films, IMAX theatres and digital 3D cinemas. Over the last 15 years, nWave has become a leader in these market segments, having handled the sales and marketing of an impressive catalog of 50 plus titles (e.g., "The Little Prince 4D," "African Adventure 3D," "Volcano Mine Ride," "Turtle Vision 4D" and "Haunted Castle 3D"). In 2008, the company produced its first feature-length 3D animated film, "Fly Me to the Moon" ($50M in box office gross), followed two years later by "Sammy's 3D Adventures" ($85M in box office gross). In 2011, nWave secured a co-production, co-financing and worldwide distribution deal for four new feature-length 3D animated films with Paris-based Studio Canal. nWave Studios is headquartered in Brussels (Belgium) with a satellite office in Los Angeles (Calif.). For more information: http://www.nwave.com
About Atlantic Productions
Atlantic Productions is one of the world's leading factual production companies whose award-winning television and theatrical films have been seen around the world. Since it was founded in 1992, Atlantic's focus has been on producing great stories told with fantastic visuals, and it has deployed the most cutting-edge technologies to do so. A pioneer in 3D and CGI production, Atlantic released the BAFTA-winnng "Flying Monsters 3D" in 2011. Other theatrical projects include the feature documentary, "The Wildest Dream" filmed on Everest and featuring the voice talents of Liam Neeson, Natasha Richardson, Ralph Fiennes, and Alan Rickman. Atlantic's most recent TV projects include "When Rome Ruled" (Channel 5/Nat Geo) - a series that looks at the iconic names and places of ancient Rome, informed by innovative CGI and expert opinion - and the triple Emmy-Award winning David Attenborough's "First Life" (BBC/Discovery) - a film that describes a journey back in time in search of the very first animals on Earth. In addition to film and TV work, Atlantic creates interactive products, with its "Kingdom of Plants" App being chosen by Apple in its Best of 2012 list of Apps. The company's website is http://www.atlanticproductions.co.uk
Tanya Wiggins, +44 (0)208-735-9300, [email protected]
nWave is a registered trademark of nWave Pictures SA/NV.
IMAX is a registered trademark of IMAX Corporation.
SOURCE nWave Pictures Distribution
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict