|By Maureen O'Gara||
|February 20, 2013 08:45 AM EST||
Tuesday when a report by American security firm Mandiant that's been six years in the making was circulating tracing an "overwhelming percentage" of Communist China's far-flung corporate and governmental cyber espionage to a 12-story building in Shanghai connected with the People's Liberation Army know as PLA 61398, the usually secure Apple disclosed that its Macs had been hacked and infected with malware by bad guys leveraging the known vulnerabilities that Oracle doesn't seen to be able to eradicate from the Java software used as a browser plug-in.
Facebook last Friday confessed to experiencing the same infestation.
The Apple hack hit a "small number" of internal Macs belonging to Apple developers who visited a developer site purposely infected with malicious code designed specifically to attack Macs.
It also attacked Mac computers at corporate accounts outside the company.
Reuters, which described it as the "highest-profile cyber attack to date on businesses running Mac computers," said it attacked "hundreds of companies including defense contractors."
It is unclear if the Apple and Facebook attacks had anything to do with Building 61398 although there have been reports that the Facebook attack on some laptops on its network traced back to China.
Both companies have denied any data loss. Law enforcement has been called in. When last heard from Apple was working on some repair code. The Mac OS disables Java if it hasn't been used for 35 days.
Meanwhile, besides its 60-page report Mandiant has released a video that's supposed to show actual attacks. The New York Times, which suffered a weeks-long secret attack a couple of weeks ago along with the Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post, ran a big story about the Mandiant report, which concludes that the attacks are government-sponsored and stealing US, Canadian and UK IP.
President Barak Obama just signed an executive order encouraging companies to share confidential information such as hackers' unique signatures with intelligence agencies.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict