|By Udayan Banerjee||
|February 18, 2013 01:15 PM EST||
“…data on its own is just numbers, and numbers can’t run a company…”
“…the quest to assemble relatively unimportant information can actually distract us from the few relevant facts…”
“…small data sets won’t always give you the full picture, but the most impactful conclusions often actually require the least data…”
“…the world contains an infinite amount of data and almost all of it is irrelevant to whatever you’re trying to measure…”
“…the objective of analysis is to boil down an impossibly complex world into a digestible set of approximations…”
“…always choosing the most granular option … (makes) it easier to miss the forest for the trees…”
“…clarity in how you present your analysis is often much more important that the precision of your model or completeness of your data set…”
These are not my words. I have picked it up from the post Mo Data, Mo Problems: 7 Inconvenient Truths About Big Data by Nick Petri.
And, no these are not exactly the seven inconvenient truth about Big Data. These are words in the article which I loved.
The seven inconvenient truths about Big Data as per Nick Petri are:
- Data ≠ Knowledge. Data x Analysis = Knowledge
- Data and Analysis Compete for Valuable Resources
- Data Always Seems Important. Often It Isn’t
- Small Data Can Have a Huge Impact
- There’s No Such Thing as a Complete Data Set
- Granularity Often Makes Decision Making Harder, Not Easier
- Big Data is Useless if You Can’t Communicate it Clearly to the End User
More I dig into Big Data more I get convinced that the key is…
…the ability to ask the Right Question!
Everything else will follow.
Well this is probably true not only for Big Data but for most things in life!
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict