|By Business Wire||
|February 13, 2013 08:01 AM EST||
Net Minds, a new publishing platform co-founded by ex-Yahoo executive and New York Times Best Selling author, Tim Sanders, launched today at the Tools of Change Conference, offering authors and the entire publishing development process a smarter alternative to both traditional and ‘self’ publishing methods.
The publishing industry has been in turmoil since Amazon hit the Web back in the 90’s. Distribution, self-publishing, Kindles, eBooks, iPad, the Web, have all changed the discovery and consumption of books. But how books are produced, supported and published has remained largely unchanged.
Before Net Minds, the publishing process was fraught with inefficiencies that impact authors through shrinking advances, unfair royalty rates, multi-year publishing processes, and increasing expectations to market and promote their own books. Also, publishing talents that edit, package and promote books are suffering from diminishing job security, increasing workload and, for freelancers, lower fees.
Net Minds’ crowd-powered service gives authors rights, project autonomy and team building tools that make the publishing process transparent and effective. Instead of acquiring authors’ rights and giving them only 20 percent of the pie and little flexibility in choosing their team, title or release date, Net Minds flips the publishing industry model. Future releases will add collaboration tools for all parts of the publishing process, from project work to crowd sourced book proposals.
Net Minds has built a software platform that allows authors to find any member of the publishing value chain, such as editors, designers, publicists, etc., selecting potential collaborators through a discovery system that includes ratings and commentary on a professional’s work. These teammates are invited into, or can request to join a project, offered traditional transactional and non-traditional compensation options, like percentages of the book’s financial performance, and the community then produces the book.
“Every new book should be organized and run like a new startup,” said Tim Sanders, CEO of Net Minds. “Take a great idea, build a talented team to help, make deals, develop the product, launch it, and get paid. Net Minds makes that ‘book-startup’ possible, helping to produce great books that readers will find and love.”
The Net Minds marketplace is designed to help people with complementary talents and affinities form engaged teams, which will utilize the Net Minds collaboration tools to produce great books. For publishing talents from editorial to design to promotion, Net Minds offers recognition for their work as well as the opportunity to make both active and passive income and develop their reputation. Instead of the current buyer/service provider environment, Net Minds provides a technology platform for people with complementary talents and vision to meet and easily complete deals to create great things.
“Net Minds provided me with the support, the structure and the tools I needed to get my book to market within a year from conception, instead of the two to four years it typically takes in the traditional publishing route,” said Nolan Bushnell, founder of Atari and author of Net Minds’ first book to be published, Finding the Next Steve Jobs. “The Net Minds platform puts the writer in control, allowing me to build the team I want while giving the appropriate rewards, rights and royalties to make it worthwhile for all involved.”
About Net Minds
Net Minds empowers authors to publish smarter through a platform and community of publishing professionals. The Net Minds marketplace is designed to help people with complementary talents and affinities form engaged teams, which will utilize the Net Minds collaboration tools to produce great books. This data and review driven platform will create a meritocracy, where great work is rewarded, credited and discovered. At Net Minds, we aim to reinvent the publishing process, making it efficient and fair.
Net Minds is based in Pasadena, California, and more information can be found at www.netminds.com.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict