|By PR Newswire||
|February 12, 2013 07:57 AM EST||
IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- WD®, a Western Digital (NASDAQ:WDC) company, and a world leader in storage solutions for the connected life, today unveils WD TV® Play™, a versatile media player that streams popular Internet channels, as well as personal photos, music and movies from other networked devices in the home, directly to an HDTV. Priced at just $69.99 USD, WD TV Play expands upon the existing WD TV family of products, offering an engaging new app-based user interface to allow customers to easily personalize their entertainment experience.
With the Wi-Fi® connected WD TV Play media player, customers can easily stream hit movies, view the latest viral videos, catch up on TV shows and stay connected to social networks through apps such as YouTube®, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, VUDU®, SlingPlayer®, Spotify®, Pandora® and Facebook, among many others1. Unlike many other streaming media players, WD TV Play also lets customers enjoy a variety of media they already own, such as photos, music and videos. Customers can play content located on any computer or network attached storage that has a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) server, such as the My Book® Live™ personal cloud storage, as well as from any directly connected digital camcorder, camera or USB drive.
Simple to Setup and Easy to Use
WD TV Play's high-speed wireless or Ethernet connections support Full-HD 1080p video streaming. The setup process is simple and intuitive so that customers are up and running in minutes. Once connected, customers navigate a familiar-feeling app-based user interface to play their entertainment or personalize their home screen with favorite apps. Customers can also set their favorite app to automatically play when WD TV Play is turned on, perfect for listening to music and running a slideshow of photos.
WD TV Play's new remote control features pre-programmed buttons, giving customers one-touch access to their favorite apps. Customers can also download the free WD TV Remote™ app to turn their iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android™ compatible mobile device into an advanced remote control. WD TV Remote connects over the home wireless network and works with multiple WD TV media players in the home.
"We are excited to bring popular Internet channels and the ability to play personal media from other connected devices in the home, to budget-minded customers," said Scott Vouri, general manager for WD's connected life solutions group. "Those features and our new, easy-to-use interface make WD TV Play a product that brings smart-TV benefits to a wide range of people."
Price and Availability
WD TV Play is currently available online at www.wdstore.com starting at $69.99 USD MSRP.
WD, a Western Digital company, is a long-time innovator and storage industry leader. As a storage technology pacesetter, the company produces reliable, high-performance hard disk drives and solid state drives. These drives are deployed by OEMs and integrators in desktop and mobile computers, enterprise computing systems, embedded systems and consumer electronics applications, as well as by the company in providing its own storage products. WD's leading storage devices and systems, networking products, media players and software solutions empower people around the world to easily save, store, protect, share and experience their content on multiple devices. WD was established in 1970 and is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. For more information, please visit the company's website at www.wd.com.
Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC), Irvine, Calif., is a global provider of products and services that empower people to create, manage, experience and preserve digital content. Its companies design and manufacture storage devices, networking equipment and home entertainment products under the WD, HGST and G-Technology brands. Visit the Investor section of the company's website (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.
Western Digital, WD, the WD logo, WD TV and My Book are registered trademarks of Western Digital Technologies, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries; WD TV Play, My Book Live and WD TV Remote are trademarks of Western Digital Technologies, Inc. Mac, iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc. YouTube is a registered trademark of Google Inc. Netflix is a registered trademark of Netflix, Inc. Hulu Plus is a trademark of Hulu, LLC. VUDU is a registered trademark of VUDU, Inc. SlingPlayer is the registered trademark of Sling Media, Inc. Spotify is a registered trademark of Spotify Technology Holding. Pandora is a registered trademark of Pandora Media, Inc. Wi-Fi is a registered mark of the Wi-Fi Alliance. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Pictures shown may vary from actual products. Not all products may be available in all regions of the world.
1 Availability varies by region. Subscriptions to streaming services and acceptance of terms and conditions may be required. These streaming services may be changed, terminated, or interrupted at any time.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict