|By Bob Gourley||
|February 4, 2013 05:17 PM EST||
Here are the top tech news and stories of the day.
- PBS tweet entices SuperBowl watchers to Downton Abbey: how it happened - During last night’s epic Super Bowl blackout, Marketing and Communications director of PBS, Kevin Dando, used Twitter to grab viewers for their network. The Super Bowl (the most watched television event of all time) was blacked out for 34 minutes. PBS’s tweet was their second most popular tweet of the year. Via Paid Content, more here.
- The real Gigabit Challenge is getting ISPs to think like tech firms – More and more cities are looking to make gigabit connections to households a municipal matter. In this article, the author argues that Telcos need to increase R&D and operational investment, to push the threshold of the services they can offer. However, since Telcos believe they are just delivering a commodity, to do little to differentiate on quality but rather on price. Via GigaOM, more here.
- The Web-Deprived Study at McDonald’s – In many families and communities, broadband internet is not accessible. I’ve often mentioned how close to (or more than) 50% of the internet using population uses it primarily from mobile devices, so this should be no surprise. In these neighborhoods, children congregate at the local McDonald’s to take advantage of the free broadband. It seems sometimes that the digital divide, even as mobile and other costs go down, is staying the same (or growing) due to a lack of broadband in many rural communities. Via WSJ, more here.
- This Text String Crashes Almost Any App on a Mac Running Mountain Lion - Apparently there is a little “easter egg” of sorts in OS X Mountain Lion. The string: “File:///” automatically stops most apps in the OS. It seems to only work on Mountain Lion versions (not older versions) check it out for yourself. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Another Microsoft partner plays the field: HP outs a $329 Chromebook – HP is releasing details on their forthcoming Chromebook. I’ve been using a Chromebook for a few months, and have to say I am very impressed with what Samsung and Google teamed up to deliver. HP’s will be $329, with a 14″ screen (the largest among all Chromebooks). The device is around 4 lbs with a 4-hour battery (very different than the ARM Chromebook I use). Clearly the ChromeOS is gaining traction among OEMs, schools and other outfits, and may soon take the “Wintel” world by storm. Via GigaOM, more here.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict