|By CloudCommons 2012||
|January 31, 2013 09:11 AM EST||
Join the Cloud Community!
Join the Cloud Commons group on Smart Enterprise to stay up-to-date on the latest cloud news, videos, blogs, and events.
Amazon announced the winners of its Global Startup Challenge this week, according to this InformationWeek article. The winners of the challenge included Grand Cru, LogMyCalls, MortarData, and TraceLink. You can read more about the contest and the winners on Amazon.
IBM announced a global expansion of SmartCloud Enterprise+, its enterprise-grade Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), and IBM SmartCloud for SAP Applications, according to this Data Center Knowledge article. SmartCloud Enterprise+ is now available in the U.S., Germany, Canada, France, Brazil, Japan, and Australia.
Cloud computing data centers are increasingly being target by denial-of-service attacks, according to this CloudTech article. A recent survey by Arbor Networks that included 130 respondents in the enterprise and network operator fields revealed that 76% reported denial of service (DDoS) attacks that targeted their customers in 2012.
A recent survey by OneLogin that questioned 200 IT and business professionals revealed that 71% of respondents admitted to using unsanctioned cloud apps, according to this Talkin’ Cloud article.
CloudViews Unplugged Video: AWS Outage, Google Science Grants & Netflix Janitor Monkey
In the latest episode of CloudViews Unplugged, Andi Mann and George Watt of CA Technologies discuss the Christmas Eve AWS outage, cloud standards, Google awarding 6 science projects with up to one billion core-computing hours and Netflix Janitor Monkey.
By Bob Scheier, Independent Writer
There's a quiet crisis brewing in how organizations are adopting the cloud. Cloud services and apps are getting more popular by the day, but instead of driving enterprise innovation, they're stifling it. The use of cloud services outside the control or knowledge of IT has led to the emergence of what technology leaders increasingly refer to as "the rogue cloud." This bona-fide platform is growing fast and taking hold in many global organizations, yet it lacks the proper security, technical, and financial controls any IT leader would demand.
It's a problem hiding in plain sight. Just look around at the cloud deployments popping up in your own organization, or look to research reports. Gatepoint Research's SimplyDIRECT September 2012 Cloud Pulse Report found four out of ten responders interested in cloud computing initiatives, with the following month's report finding nearly eight out of ten complaining their organizations "only occasionally" deliver new services quickly enough. Read the full article.
Did you miss the #CloudViews tweetchat on the future of BYOD? You can read the full transcript in the cloud group on Smart Enterprise.
Are cloud contracts negotiable? In this InfoWorld blog, David Linthicum discusses how the “take it or leave it” contracts that many cloud providers offer their customers are pushing enterprises away from cloud adoption.
What cloud computing job skills are in demand? In the Baseline presentation, Dennis McCafferty outlines the positions with increased demand due to the cloud, including project managers, business analysts, app developers and more.
Are there cloud computing myths? In this BizJournal blog, Heinan Landa outlines the top 4 cloud computing myths and details why they should be dispelled.
Stanford researchers recently ran a jet-engine-noise simulation application across 1.5 million cores simultaneously, according to this GigaOM article. Creating code that is optimized for multi-core processors will improve the types of applications that can run on future laptops, smartphones, and tablets.
How is big data benefiting you? In this Wired blog, Jake Weatherly provides an introduction to big data and reveals how you might be benefiting from the trend.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict