|By Bob Gourley||
|January 29, 2013 09:28 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- XBMC 12 Frodo Arrives, Bringing Raspberry Pi And Android Versions, AirPlay Audio For Windows And 64bit OS X Support – The XBox Media Center grew out of users wanting to get more from their connected gaming devices. It has evolved from that to be one of the top media center capabilities, with streaming to iOS devices as well. If you are looking for a media streamer (and in the Apple ecosystem) XBMC has a lot to offer. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Other carriers very intrigued with T-Mobile’s plans to offer iPhone on monthly installments – Monthly installments are very popular in the EU and abroad. T-Mobile is using it to make the iPhone 5 (and other premium phones) more palatable to lower-income purchasers. Apparently the other carriers are looking into this (which might get people buying better rather than budget devices) but only time will tell. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Gameloft Q4 2012 earnings report shows a 23 percent year-over-year increase – Gameloft is the most consistent mobile developer. They are making not only quality games, but are consistently offering sales on their products as well. They are pulling in 31% of sales from NA and 27 from EMEA. Their gaming sales have improved 66% over last year’s Q4, which is the primary driver of earnings. Via Android Community, more here.
- Pebble smartwatch review – The Pebble Smartwatch is only scant days old, and it is already one of the most storied and (in)famous devices out there. A smash Kickstarter success, the release date has been pushed back multiple times, and production is starting to ramp up. The Verge’s Nilay Patel gives his thoughts here. (As for me? I’m sticking with the MOTOACTV and its GPS for now).
- Reviving the dead: How Android devices are keeping webOS alive – the Open webOS project has been keeping the once defunct OS moving. This story from Ars Technica tracks how the zombie OS might start rolling again (and find it’s way onto new devices). Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Over $1B In Gorilla Glass Sales In 2012 Helps Propel Corning To New Single Quarter Sales Record – If I had told you five years ago that the Pyrex maker would be and integral part in every top mobile device, you would have laughed in my face. However, the Gorilla Glass maker is beating expectations, by selling over $1B in Gorilla Glass. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Google and Asus rumors suggest a next-gen Nexus 7 with full HD display – The Nexus 7 has been one of Google’s biggest Android hits to date. The quality and low-cost have helped it compete (and take the throne from) any other mid-sized tablet. Rumors of the new Nexus already abound, including a 1080p display with other updated internals, while maintaining the same price-point. Via Android Community, more here.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict