|By Bob Gourley||
|January 29, 2013 08:53 AM EST||
Here are the top cyber news and stories of the day.
- DOD, VA improve eBenefits portal – The eBenefits self-service portal has been updated. This portal allows service members and vets unparalleled access to information and services. It allows users to get into compensation services, even populated the information from their VA records. Via FedScoop, more here.
- Government Appetite Growing for Twitter User Data – “Twitter said Monday that just 19 percent of federal and state government requests for user data were accompanied by probable-cause search warrants during the six months ending in December 2012.” There were 815 total requests for Twitter user data. Twitter also demands a probable-cause warrant. Via Wired, more here.
- 86,800 network printers open to the whole internet – is one of them yours? – “UK blogger @skattyadz, alias Adam Howard [*], did a Google search for a URL matching the pattern you might use to connect to a nearby printer on your office network.” He built his search terms to look specifically for HP printers, so there are likely to be thousands of other open network printers. Via Naked Security, more here.
- Odierno: budget is greatest threat to national security - Army Chief of Staff, Ray Odierno, believes that “Fiscal uncertainty and potential budget shortfalls are the greatest threat to national security.” Apparently, the Joint Chief of Staffs wrote a letter to the House and Senate concerned about how future budgets could affect national security. ““In the past we’ve taken reductions during relative peace and stability, but in my mind as I look at the world today, there’s instability on every continent around the world and there’s incredible uncertainty on what the future may hold,”” said Odierno. Via FedScoop, more here.
- DDoS attacks, mobile traffic visibility top security concerns: Arbor – According to Arbor Networks’ most recent report, over 90% of data centers are experiencing DDoS attacks. They also found 60% of mobile providers have no oversight over their 4G LTE networks. Via ComputerWorld Australia, more here.
- The dangers of third-party code for cloud security – “Imperva announced a new report which examines the dangers of third-party code in cloud computing.In December 2012, a hacker breached Yahoo! with an SQL injection attack that took advantage of a vulnerability in a third-party application that was provided on the Yahoo! Web site.” This has emphasized the dangers that using 3rd party code in cloud services can open a service up to. Via Net Security.org, more here.
- Google Announces Pwnium 3, Ups Ante and Offers $3M+ in Rewards – In this year’s competition, Google is opening up the Chrome OS to the competitors. Google is offering $3.14159M (you nerds should get it) in reward money. According to the Chromium blog, “the company will offer $110,000 for a “browser or system level compromise in guest mode or as a logged-in user, delivered via a web page” and $150,000 for a “compromise with device persistence — guest to guest with interim reboot, delivered via a web page.”" Via Threat Post, more here.
- New bug makes moot Java’s latest anti-exploit defenses, claims researcher – “Java’s new security settings, designed to block “drive-by” browser attacks, can be bypassed by hackers, a researcher announced Sunday.” Adam Gowdiak, CEO of Security Explorations, found that the new settings for Java do not shut down attackers at all. Via ComputerWorld, more here.\
- Pentagon to boost cybersecurity force – The Pentagon will be plussing up their cybersecurity force by almost five-fold, in the next few years. The USCYBERCOM unit will grow from 900 personnel to over 4,900 total servicemembers and civilians. “The plan calls for the creation of three types of forces under the Cyber Command: “national mission forces” to protect computer systems that undergird electrical grids, power plants and other infrastructure deemed critical to national and economic security; “combat mission forces” to help commanders abroad plan and execute attacks or other offensive operations; and “cyber protection forces” to fortify the Defense Department’s networks.” Via Stars and Stripes, more here.
- Data.gov gets agile with new alpha site - ”Data.gov is on track to getting a .gov makeover right before our very eyes thanks in part to an agile, open approach to development being adopted by the General Services Administration.” They are attempting to “create an online showcase” designed to highlight what data.gov can do. Via FedScoop, more here.
- When reforming FISMA, don’t throw out what works – William Jackson of GCN, explores the value that FISMA has already had in government. While FISMA has required enormous amounts of paperwork, and “focused on compliance rather than risk”. “Before Congress fiddles too much with the act, lawmakers should have a good idea of how that implementation has improved and what the impact has been, and what practices have actually improved security in agencies.” Via GCN, more here.
- Motorola Solutions unveils MC45 mobile computer – Motorola has released details on a new rugged mobile tablet. The problem with these capabilities is that they do not outstrip devices such as the Apple iPad or Google Nexus 7 or any smartphone in any terms of value. The device starts at $1,345 and has an enhanced model that is $2,295. These have small screens and small keyboards, but Motorola must believe their “ruggedization” to be worth the cost. We shall see, but I hope that most organizations start thinking more agilely and purchase commercial devices with rugged cases as opposed to COTS devices with built in protections. Via IDG/ComputerWorld, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive part...
Apr. 21, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,885
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Apr. 21, 2015 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,756
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communications (RTC) services for app developers. VoxImplant (built by Zingaya, the real-time communication servi...
Apr. 21, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,007
SYS-CON Events announced today that CommVault has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and sim...
Apr. 21, 2015 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,809
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Apr. 21, 2015 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,923
SYS-CON Events announced today that StorPool Storage will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. StorPool is distributed storage software that allows service providers, enterprises and other cloud builders to run data storage on standard x86 servers, instead of using expensive and inefficient storage arrays (SAN).
Apr. 21, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,062
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 21, 2015 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,328
SYS-CON Events announced today that kintone has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. kintone promotes cloud-based workgroup productivity, transparency and profitability with a seamless collaboration space, build your own business application (BYOA) platform, and workflow automation system.
Apr. 21, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,569
SYS-CON Events announced today that Site24x7, the cloud infrastructure monitoring service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Site24x7 is a cloud infrastructure monitoring service that helps monitor the uptime and performance of websites, online applications, servers, mobile websites and custom APIs. The monitoring is done from 50+ locations across the world and from various wireless carriers, thus providing a global perspective of the end-user experience. Site24x7 supports monitoring H...
Apr. 21, 2015 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,922
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ mission-critical systems. ISS has completed many successful projects in Healthcare, Commercial, Manufacturing, ...
Apr. 21, 2015 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,508
WebRTC is an up-and-coming standard that enables real-time voice and video to be directly embedded into browsers making the browser a primary user interface for communications and collaboration. WebRTC runs in a number of browsers today and is currently supported in over a billion installed browsers globally, across a range of platform OS and devices. Today, organizations that choose to deploy WebRTC applications and use a host machine that supports audio through USB or Bluetooth can use Plantronics products to connect and transit or receive the audio associated with the WebRTC session.
Apr. 21, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,722
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 21, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 690
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
Apr. 21, 2015 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,325
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Apr. 21, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,331
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tufin, the market-leading provider of Security Policy Orchestration Solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As the market leader of Security Policy Orchestration, Tufin automates and accelerates network configuration changes while maintaining security and compliance. Tufin's award-winning Orchestration Suite™ gives IT organizations the power and agility to enforce security policy across complex, multi-vendor enterprise networks. With more than 1...
Apr. 21, 2015 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,439
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Apr. 21, 2015 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,068
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables cloud service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable cloud storage solu...
Apr. 21, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,523
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Apr. 21, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,444
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Apr. 21, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,018
BroadSoft on Tuesday announced that it is a recipient of the 2014 Frost & Sullivan Market Leadership Award in the Hosted/Cloud Internet Protocol (IP) Telephony market for Latin America. According to Frost & Sullivan market research, the Latin America (LATAM) hosted/cloud Internet Protocol (IP) telephony market, including integrated unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) applications, is currently experiencing a rapid growth trajectory and is expected to exhibit a tenfold rise in annual revenues in the 2013-2020 period. With more than 600 cloud deployments internationally, BroadSoft w...
Apr. 21, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,105