|By Udayan Banerjee||
|January 25, 2013 01:45 PM EST||
If you are still asking the question should I build a mobile website or create an installable application for mobile…
…then you are asking the wrong question!
The Mobile Web vs. Mobile App debate is finally over.
It is no longer a question of either…or. Making your website mobile friendly is no longer an option – it is mandatory requirement.
More and more people are accessing the web from mobile phones and tablets. Share of Internet traffic from such devices has already reached double digit percentage and inching up…up…up. In next couple of years it is likely to overtake internet traffic from desktops and laptops. In fact, as per Mary Meeker (she is known as “queen of net”) then it has already happened in India!
I have picked these charts from her presentation at Stanford University. The full deck is available in Slide Share.
So, if you do not want to present a sub-optimal view of your website to half of your customers, you will have no choice but to redesign your website to make it mobile friendly. Many libraries are available to help to achieve this and here is a compilation of Mobile Website Development Libraries.
Some experts go so far as to recommend a “mobile first” approach where you design your website primarily for mobile devices and then think of extending it to desktops.
Therefore, your strategic decision revolves around the question about the need of building an installable application.
This topic of Mobile Web vs. Mobile App has been debated endlessly … so, you can find many … many … many links! I have just provided two of them instead of 2000.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict