|By Bob Gourley||
|January 22, 2013 06:03 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Milestone 1 hits Nexus and Samsung devices – CyanogenMod is one of the top Android ROMs. This third-party solution focuses on delivering an AOSP experience along with some modifications intended for better performance and battery life. If you are looking for a rather stable first ROM, CyanogenMod is a great place to start. Via Engadget, more here.
- [Release] JB-MR1 Build 2 – My Android ROM of choice is AOKP. I’ve written about it often, and they have recently released their Android 4.2.1 Build 2. I have already downloaded it and find it does quite a good job of giving me the customization I’ve come to enjoy quite a lot. AOKP is out for a wide variety of top Android devices. Via AOKP, more here.
- Android Is Popular Because It’s Cheap, Not Because It’s Good/The Truth Is That Android Is Cheap, Not Good – Gizmodo and TechCrunch are two of my favorite sites to read. They have extensive sources, and often grab a ton of stories that aren’t available elsewhere. However, sometimes they editorialize, and seem to display a ridiculous pro-Apple bias. As someone who forced himself to use the iPad Mini for all my tablet needs for almost a month while using the Nexus 4 as my smartphone of choice, I can say these guys are utter clowns. The only native feature that iOS features that is lacking on Android is the “Do Not Disturb” option (which is quite clever), but in every other facet Android 4 outshines it (oh and you can set up far more extensive profiles using apps in the Play Store). Google Now is a great tool, search is far superior (voice and other) and the Android homescreen is infinitely more useful. While Android is available on a whole range of products (including some awful ones), it is Google, not Apple driving mobile OS innovation. The assertion that the only inexpensive phones you can purchase are Android devices is also false, because iPhone 4(s) are available on most US contracts for $0 (subsidized). While I’ve written before about the need for Android OEMs to get smarter with branding and manufacturing, the best smartphones are Android. Sorry Sam (Biddle), Android is driving mobile innovation and Android devices are leading the way, Apple is now merely a follower. Via Gizmodo and TechCrunch, here and here.
- Latest Samsung Galaxy S IV Rumors Point To April Launch – The S3, with release on every US carrier, proved Samsung to be the smartphone manufacturer of note in 2012. For most of the year, it was the clear cut best smartphone, and is still highly regarded. The fourth version of the flagship device is accompanied by rumor after rumor, but one thing can be sure, it will be a solid smartphone. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- iPhone Sales At Verizon Top 6.2M, Or 63% Of All Smartphones Sold In Q4, Half Of Which Were iPhone 5 – 2/3s of all Verizon smartphones sold in Q4 were iOS. Of these, only half were the iPhone 5, instead users chose the iPhone 4 or 4S models. As I’ve already stated, Apple saw the success of “budget” devices, and priced their year and two years old offerings to match. The US public’s appetite for substandard phones still amazes me (as the difference between brand new and year old tech is only $100 over 24 months, or roughly $4.40 per month for the life of the contract); however, there can be no accounting for good sense. While overall the numbers are good for Apple, the lack of iPhone 5 sales should be troubling. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- AT&T To Acquire Wireless Spectrum and Assets from Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., Enhance Wireless Coverage in Rural Areas – This is nothing more than a pure spectrum grab, but as spectrum becomes more and more scarce, it will be more necessary for carriers to make such moves. After the T-Mobile merger was denied, it is not surprising to see AT&T on the warpath for more spectrum. Via Business Wire, more here.
- Stretch your pockets: 150M “phablet” sales expected in 2013 - the term “phablet” here is misleading, because the firm who did the research (ABI) considers 4.6″ to 6.5″ to be “phablet territory.” This incorrect labeling puts devices such as the Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy S3 in the same category as the Galaxy Note and Note 2, which they are not. I find the assertion that 150M phones of that size will be sold, but calling them “phablets” is merely just stirring up mud. But that said, I guess 2013 will be the year of the “phablet.” Via GigaOM, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Apr. 29, 2017 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,359
Five years ago development was seen as a dead-end career, now it’s anything but – with an explosion in mobile and IoT initiatives increasing the demand for skilled engineers. But apart from having a ready supply of great coders, what constitutes true ‘DevOps Royalty’? It’ll be the ability to craft resilient architectures, supportability, security everywhere across the software lifecycle. In his keynote at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Jeffrey Scheaffer, GM and SVP, Continuous Delivery Busine...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,297
SYS-CON Events announced today that Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. The company co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure network...
Apr. 29, 2017 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,780
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,758
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Apr. 29, 2017 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,530
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in compute, storage and networking technologies, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,584
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Apr. 29, 2017 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,591
Judith Hurwitz is president and CEO of Hurwitz & Associates, a Needham, Mass., research and consulting firm focused on emerging technology, including big data, cognitive computing and governance. She is co-author of the book Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics, published in 2015. Her Cloud Expo session, "What Is the Business Imperative for Cognitive Computing?" is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8, at 8:40 a.m. In it, she puts cognitive computing into perspective with its value to the busin...
Apr. 29, 2017 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,863
NHK, Japan Broadcasting, will feature the upcoming @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley in a special 'Internet of Things' and smart technology documentary that will be filmed on the expo floor between November 3 to 5, 2015, in Santa Clara. NHK is the sole public TV network in Japan equivalent to the BBC in the UK and the largest in Asia with many award-winning science and technology programs. Japanese TV is producing a documentary about IoT and Smart technology and will be covering @ThingsExpo Silicon Val...
Apr. 29, 2017 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,399
SYS-CON Events announced today that CollabNet, a global leader in enterprise software development, release automation and DevOps solutions, will be a Bronze Sponsor of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, taking place from June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CollabNet offers a broad range of solutions with the mission of helping modern organizations deliver quality software at speed. The company’s latest innovation, the DevOps Lifecycle Manager (DLM), supports Value S...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,366
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Apr. 29, 2017 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,675
The age of Digital Disruption is evolving into the next era – Digital Cohesion, an age in which applications securely self-assemble and deliver predictive services that continuously adapt to user behavior. Information from devices, sensors and applications around us will drive services seamlessly across mobile and fixed devices/infrastructure. This evolution is happening now in software defined services and secure networking. Four key drivers – Performance, Economics, Interoperability and Trust ...
Apr. 29, 2017 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,012
With billions of sensors deployed worldwide, the amount of machine-generated data will soon exceed what our networks can handle. But consumers and businesses will expect seamless experiences and real-time responsiveness. What does this mean for IoT devices and the infrastructure that supports them? More of the data will need to be handled at - or closer to - the devices themselves.
Apr. 29, 2017 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,129
Grape Up is a software company, specialized in cloud native application development and professional services related to Cloud Foundry PaaS. With five expert teams that operate in various sectors of the market across the USA and Europe, we work with a variety of customers from emerging startups to Fortune 1000 companies.
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,561
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Apr. 28, 2017 10:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,717
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Apr. 28, 2017 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,596
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,257
Multiple data types are pouring into IoT deployments. Data is coming in small packages as well as enormous files and data streams of many sizes. Widespread use of mobile devices adds to the total. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the tools and environments that are being put to use in IoT deployments, as well as the team skills a modern enterprise IT shop needs to keep things running, get a handle on all this data, and deli...
Apr. 28, 2017 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,735
The Internet of Things is clearly many things: data collection and analytics, wearables, Smart Grids and Smart Cities, the Industrial Internet, and more. Cool platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Intel's Galileo and Edison, and a diverse world of sensors are making the IoT a great toy box for developers in all these areas. In this Power Panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists discussed what things are the most important, which will have the most profound e...
Apr. 28, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,493
@ThingsExpo has been named the Most Influential ‘Smart Cities - IIoT' Account and @BigDataExpo has been named fourteenth by Right Relevance (RR), which provides curated information and intelligence on approximately 50,000 topics. In addition, Right Relevance provides an Insights offering that combines the above Topics and Influencers information with real time conversations to provide actionable intelligence with visualizations to enable decision making. The Insights service is applicable to eve...
Apr. 28, 2017 07:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,040