|By Bob Gourley||
|January 22, 2013 06:03 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- CyanogenMod 10.1 Milestone 1 hits Nexus and Samsung devices – CyanogenMod is one of the top Android ROMs. This third-party solution focuses on delivering an AOSP experience along with some modifications intended for better performance and battery life. If you are looking for a rather stable first ROM, CyanogenMod is a great place to start. Via Engadget, more here.
- [Release] JB-MR1 Build 2 – My Android ROM of choice is AOKP. I’ve written about it often, and they have recently released their Android 4.2.1 Build 2. I have already downloaded it and find it does quite a good job of giving me the customization I’ve come to enjoy quite a lot. AOKP is out for a wide variety of top Android devices. Via AOKP, more here.
- Android Is Popular Because It’s Cheap, Not Because It’s Good/The Truth Is That Android Is Cheap, Not Good – Gizmodo and TechCrunch are two of my favorite sites to read. They have extensive sources, and often grab a ton of stories that aren’t available elsewhere. However, sometimes they editorialize, and seem to display a ridiculous pro-Apple bias. As someone who forced himself to use the iPad Mini for all my tablet needs for almost a month while using the Nexus 4 as my smartphone of choice, I can say these guys are utter clowns. The only native feature that iOS features that is lacking on Android is the “Do Not Disturb” option (which is quite clever), but in every other facet Android 4 outshines it (oh and you can set up far more extensive profiles using apps in the Play Store). Google Now is a great tool, search is far superior (voice and other) and the Android homescreen is infinitely more useful. While Android is available on a whole range of products (including some awful ones), it is Google, not Apple driving mobile OS innovation. The assertion that the only inexpensive phones you can purchase are Android devices is also false, because iPhone 4(s) are available on most US contracts for $0 (subsidized). While I’ve written before about the need for Android OEMs to get smarter with branding and manufacturing, the best smartphones are Android. Sorry Sam (Biddle), Android is driving mobile innovation and Android devices are leading the way, Apple is now merely a follower. Via Gizmodo and TechCrunch, here and here.
- Latest Samsung Galaxy S IV Rumors Point To April Launch – The S3, with release on every US carrier, proved Samsung to be the smartphone manufacturer of note in 2012. For most of the year, it was the clear cut best smartphone, and is still highly regarded. The fourth version of the flagship device is accompanied by rumor after rumor, but one thing can be sure, it will be a solid smartphone. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- iPhone Sales At Verizon Top 6.2M, Or 63% Of All Smartphones Sold In Q4, Half Of Which Were iPhone 5 – 2/3s of all Verizon smartphones sold in Q4 were iOS. Of these, only half were the iPhone 5, instead users chose the iPhone 4 or 4S models. As I’ve already stated, Apple saw the success of “budget” devices, and priced their year and two years old offerings to match. The US public’s appetite for substandard phones still amazes me (as the difference between brand new and year old tech is only $100 over 24 months, or roughly $4.40 per month for the life of the contract); however, there can be no accounting for good sense. While overall the numbers are good for Apple, the lack of iPhone 5 sales should be troubling. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- AT&T To Acquire Wireless Spectrum and Assets from Atlantic Tele-Network, Inc., Enhance Wireless Coverage in Rural Areas – This is nothing more than a pure spectrum grab, but as spectrum becomes more and more scarce, it will be more necessary for carriers to make such moves. After the T-Mobile merger was denied, it is not surprising to see AT&T on the warpath for more spectrum. Via Business Wire, more here.
- Stretch your pockets: 150M “phablet” sales expected in 2013 - the term “phablet” here is misleading, because the firm who did the research (ABI) considers 4.6″ to 6.5″ to be “phablet territory.” This incorrect labeling puts devices such as the Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy S3 in the same category as the Galaxy Note and Note 2, which they are not. I find the assertion that 150M phones of that size will be sold, but calling them “phablets” is merely just stirring up mud. But that said, I guess 2013 will be the year of the “phablet.” Via GigaOM, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 17, 2017 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,779
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 17, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 3,525
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 17, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 2,711
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 17, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 537
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jan. 17, 2017 12:45 AM EST Reads: 6,016
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Jan. 16, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 7,448
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Jan. 16, 2017 03:15 PM EST Reads: 386
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 16, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,556
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 16, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 3,606
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 5,495
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 16, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 5,028
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 16, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,425
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 16, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 4,163
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 16, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 5,694
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 16, 2017 11:30 AM EST Reads: 1,893
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 16, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 3,051
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 16, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 4,528
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 16, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 5,872
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 16, 2017 05:30 AM EST Reads: 1,110
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 16, 2017 04:30 AM EST Reads: 4,549