|By Business Wire||
|January 23, 2013 02:30 AM EST||
KPN has partnered with Fon, the world’s largest WiFi network, to offer KPN customers access to WiFi hotspots in the Netherlands and to over 7 million WiFi hotspots abroad. With this step KPN solidifies its position as market leader in the public WiFi field.
In the Netherlands, KPN customers will be able to share a portion of their own home bandwidth in exchange for free access on shared broadband connections of other KPN broadband customers in the Netherlands and Fon customers in other countries.
A separate WiFi signal will be created for the part of the broadband connection that will be shared with other customers, which guarantees a safe home network for the individual KPN customer.
Fon has already deployed over 7 million WiFi access points with several other telco companies around the world. Through this partnership, KPN enables its customers access to get global WiFi coverage in countries such as the Belgium, France, UK and Japan. Moving forward, Fon aims to have over 50 million shared connections in its international network within a couple of years to the benefit of KPN customers.
The public WiFi network will enable access in and around houses where shared connections are operational. The public WiFi network therefor is complementary to KPN’s mobile and fixed network with over 1,500 HotSpots in the Netherlands. This step is in line with KPN’s aim to offer its customers internet access in a way that satisfies their needs best.
Joost Farwerck, managing director KPN Netherlands: “We are the Integrated Access Provider in The Netherlands. We aim to deliver our customers fast and integrated services across both our mobile and fixed network. This partnership is an addition to this strategy.”
Alex Puregger, COO: "The Netherlands is one of the world's most tech savvy nations. We are very excited to team up with the innovative people at KPN, the nation's leading telecommunication provider, to bring Fon WiFi to over 16 million people across the country.”
KPN expects to test the WiFi network within the next half year. The commercial launch is planned for later this year.
KPN is the leading telecommunications and ICT service provider in the Netherlands, offering wireline and wireless telephony, internet and TV to consumers and end-to-end telecom and ICT services to business customers. In Germany and Belgium, KPN pursues a Challenger strategy in its wireless operations and holds number three market positions through E-Plus and BASE. KPN provides wholesale network services to third parties and operates an efficient IP-based infrastructure with global scale in international wholesale through iBasis.
Fon was founded by CEO, entrepreneur and internet pioneer Martin Varsavsky in 2006 with the goal of free, ubiquitous WiFi for everyone. Today Fon is the largest WiFi network in the world, providing WiFi at over 7 million hotspots in more than 100 countries. Fon partners with the world's leading fixed and mobile telcos, hardware manufacturers and service providers, all who share the vision of a global WiFi community. Fon’s growing list of telco partners includes Belgacom, BT UK, MTS Russia, Oi Brazil, Netia Poland, SFR France, SoftBank Japan and ZON Portugal. Fon's investors include Atomico, British Telecom, the Coral Group, Google, Index Ventures, Sequoia Capital and Skype. For more information please visit: fon.com
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict