|By PR Newswire||
|January 18, 2013 09:00 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- SCORE, – www.score.org - mentors to America's small businesses, recognizes those entrepreneurs whose small business pursuits honor and reflect the admirable work and values of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. For decades, King's example has inspired entrepreneurs to pursue their own dreams and passions and use their work to better their communities, societies and the world. He famously spoke of the value of self-reliance saying, "The dignity of the individual will flourish when the decisions concerning his life are in his own hands…and when he knows that he has the means to seek self-improvement."
"Martin Luther King, Jr. represents the core of what it means to be an entrepreneur – someone who takes action where they see need for improvement even if it's in new territory that has never been tread upon, takes courage and involves personal risks," said SCORE CEO Ken Yancey. "We are honored to serve such individuals who take matters into their own hands to affect real change through small business ventures across America."
In his 1963 book, Strength to Love, King wrote, "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." SCORE client Annemarie du LeBohn uses her own story of hardship and perseverance to inspire others to reach their own highest potential. For 30 years, du LeBohn suffered from fear, self-doubt and low confidence as a result of a stalker and sexual assault. Then in 2010, she decided to turn her life around by setting a goal of completing the grueling Ironman race. She accomplished the immense physical and mental undertaking and now shares the tools she used to do it with others through speaking engagements across the country. SCORE mentors Tom Patty and Betty Otte helped du LeBohn turn her inspiring message into a profitable venture, resulting in great success including a featured speech at TEDxOrangeCoast in October 2012.
In Strength to Love, King also spoke of the importance of unity, acceptance and peaceful cooperation saying, "Life at its best is a creative synthesis of opposites in fruitful harmony." Echoing these values, SCORE client Marilyn Moats Kennedy has created a business of educating and assisting employers and employees with changing workforce demographics and how to optimize these differences within an organization. Moats Kennedy shares her wisdom in this area, gained from decades of teaching and consulting, through workshops, keynote speeches and blogging. SCORE mentor Peg Corwin gave her guidance on how to effectively market the business digitally through the use of an improved website, social media engagement and search engine optimization.
To read more about the successes of these and other SCORE clients whose small businesses reflect the values and efforts of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., visit: www.score.org/success-stories
Since 1964, SCORE has helped more than 9 million aspiring entrepreneurs. Each year, SCORE provides small business mentoring and workshops to more than 375,000 new and growing small businesses. More than 12,000 business experts volunteer as mentors in over 340 chapters serving local communities with entrepreneur education to help grow 1 million small businesses.
For more information about starting or operating a small business, call 1-800/634-0245 for the SCORE chapter nearest you. Visit SCORE at www.score.org. Connect with SCORE at www.facebook.com/SCOREFans and www.twitter.com/SCOREMentors.
Shalini Karnani Bonjour 800/634-0245
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict