|By Bob Gourley||
|January 17, 2013 07:10 PM EST||
- Google Music and Amazon Cloud Player take on iTunes Match. Who wins? The mobile music scene is not going to be easy to sort. We have solutions such as Spotify and Rdio, but iTunes is always the incumbent, while Amazon and Google are attempting to compete. Cloud storage makes sense, but what is the answer? Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Turn Life Into a Video Game With This Dope 8-Bit Camera App - A new iOS app allows you to turn any picture into an 8-bit photograph. This is not only just a fun application, but it allows you to turn any photograph into the console image of your choice. If you’re missing some 8-bit in your life, check it out. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Yelp adding hygiene ratings to New York and San Francisco restaurant listings – Some people are hygiene fiends, the rest of us have eaten Army food. But, when we go out to eat, we hope to have clean meals. Yelp is a terrific app and the addition of hygiene concerns can only help. Via Engadget, more here.
- Samsung May Tackle The iPad Mini With An 8-Inch Galaxy Note – The iPad Mini has been the runaway hit of the season. Samsung is attempting to capitalize on it with their newest offering, the 8-inch Galaxy Note. The Note offers a pen with digitizer that offers best in class communication with a tablet via stylus. While Samsung offers a variety of 7″ (or plus) tablets, none of them sell like the iPad Mini. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Apple job description outlines goal to evolve Siri as a distinct, recognizable character – While Siri is often referred to as the Apple Beta program that failed, they are continuously improving it. Whether or not Siri is the best at voice control (it’s not) it is still a key factor in determining how voice control evolves. I like what Siri does to Google voice search/control and other competitors because it drives them to be better. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Google Glass Ain’t Dead! Google Files For Virtual Keyboard Patent in Relation To Glass - I think almost every technologist wants Google Glass to succeed. Via competition, it can push other technologies forward. If you’re a Google user you are excited for the possibilities but most are just looking forward to wearable computing. Any which way, it will be a defining technology of the era. Via Droid Life, more here.
- Nielsen: Smartphone Battle Ready To Rage In Brazil, Russia, India - Any businessperson worth their salt looks to the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) countries as indicators of future growth. One of the reasons I’ve challenged Apple’s majority is their inattention to emerging markets, but they are starting to take a look. These markets have billions of unaligned consumers to make a choice. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Could Arrive in February - According to Norwegian retailer Dustin Home, the wireless charging Orb for the Nexus 4 could arrive in February. Having been shown off on Nexus 4 unveiling day as the coolest accessory in town, we still have yet to see it find its way into the hands of anyone outside of Google. That’s not surprising, though, Nexus accessories almost always show up months after debuting during launch. I can’t wait for the orb, but why did it take so long? Via Droid Life, more here.
- LG Remains Committed To Nexus 4 Production, Even As New Nexus Rumors Swirl - So the Nexus 4 has been tough get a hold of. And people have rumored that there is a Nexus 5 on its way (5″ screen, nobody knows the real internals). LG keeps saying Google told them the wrong “demand” details (a very very real detail for every business and logistics person), but refuse to honor any complicity. But LG shot themselves in the foot; they created the best smartphone to date, and let alleged demand get the better of them. If not for the absolutely amazing device the Nexus 4 is, both companies would be sunk, but LG got a big boost from a very real Nexus device, and Google from an OS which many (including yours truly) believe outshines all others. Via Droid Life, more here.
- Has Google Finally Discontinued the Nexus Q? I’ve actually always wanted a Nexus Q, but I have a Google TV, so it is a bit redundant. The smartphone is clearly not the way to the living room, but you have to applaud Google’s effort. They, ridiculously, tried to create an Apple TV replacement, at only 300% of the cost! Oh, wait. THAT DOESN’T WORK. The Nexus Q was going to be cool, but never at $299, or anything more than $99. It’s a fun experiment, but it should have never left the labs. The problem is; sometimes Google lets things escape the labs that have no business doing so. Luckily, the Nexus Q has faded into black while their better suited items float to the forefront. A $50 Nexus Q would have kicked off a revolution (despite flaws) a $300 one? see ya later! Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Is the Lenovo Chromebook right for education? - I am a big fan of the Chromebook, especially the ARM version. It hit the six hour mark, was inexpensive, and had the ability to operate on and off line. Lenovo’s version is more powerful, and great form factor. Any Chromebook is good for education, so long as your students have broadband. Lenovo has best of breed business devices, so I have to believe that their Chromebook solution can work. Via BetaNews, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Apr. 1, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,625
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 1, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 623
SYS-CON Events announced today that Litmus Automation will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Litmus Automation’s vision is to provide a solution for companies that are in a rush to embrace the disruptive Internet of Things technology and leverage it for real business challenges. Litmus Automation simplifies the complexity of connected devices applications with Loop, a secure and scalable cloud platform.
Apr. 1, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 801
While not quite mainstream yet, WebRTC is starting to gain ground with Carriers, Enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) alike. WebRTC makes it easy for developers to add audio and video communications into their applications by using Web browsers as their platform. But like any market, every customer engagement has unique requirements, as well as constraints. And of course, one size does not fit all. In her session at WebRTC Summit, Dr. Natasha Tamaskar, Vice President, Head of Cloud and Mobile Strategy at GENBAND, will explore what is needed to take a real time communications ...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 710
As Marc Andreessen says software is eating the world. Everything is rapidly moving toward being software-defined – from our phones and cars through our washing machines to the datacenter. However, there are larger challenges when implementing software defined on a larger scale - when building software defined infrastructure. In his session at 16th Cloud Expo, Boyan Ivanov, CEO of StorPool, will provide some practical insights on what, how and why when implementing "software-defined" in the datacenter.
Apr. 1, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 642
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Apr. 1, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,108
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Apr. 1, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 858
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Apr. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,609
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Apr. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,057
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Apr. 1, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,640
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Apr. 1, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,279
Containers and microservices have become topics of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 16th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York June 9-11 will find fresh new content in a new track called PaaS | Containers & Microservices Containers are not being considered for the first time by the cloud community, but a current era of re-consideration has pushed them to the top of the cloud agenda. With the launch of Docker's initial release in March of 2013, interest was revved up several notches. Then late last...
Apr. 1, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,325
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Apr. 1, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,758
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Apr. 1, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,131
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 30, 2015 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,212
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Mar. 30, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,580
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 30, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,546
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 29, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,895
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 29, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,319
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 29, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,909