|By Bob Gourley||
|January 17, 2013 07:10 PM EST||
- Google Music and Amazon Cloud Player take on iTunes Match. Who wins? The mobile music scene is not going to be easy to sort. We have solutions such as Spotify and Rdio, but iTunes is always the incumbent, while Amazon and Google are attempting to compete. Cloud storage makes sense, but what is the answer? Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Turn Life Into a Video Game With This Dope 8-Bit Camera App - A new iOS app allows you to turn any picture into an 8-bit photograph. This is not only just a fun application, but it allows you to turn any photograph into the console image of your choice. If you’re missing some 8-bit in your life, check it out. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Yelp adding hygiene ratings to New York and San Francisco restaurant listings – Some people are hygiene fiends, the rest of us have eaten Army food. But, when we go out to eat, we hope to have clean meals. Yelp is a terrific app and the addition of hygiene concerns can only help. Via Engadget, more here.
- Samsung May Tackle The iPad Mini With An 8-Inch Galaxy Note – The iPad Mini has been the runaway hit of the season. Samsung is attempting to capitalize on it with their newest offering, the 8-inch Galaxy Note. The Note offers a pen with digitizer that offers best in class communication with a tablet via stylus. While Samsung offers a variety of 7″ (or plus) tablets, none of them sell like the iPad Mini. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Apple job description outlines goal to evolve Siri as a distinct, recognizable character – While Siri is often referred to as the Apple Beta program that failed, they are continuously improving it. Whether or not Siri is the best at voice control (it’s not) it is still a key factor in determining how voice control evolves. I like what Siri does to Google voice search/control and other competitors because it drives them to be better. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Google Glass Ain’t Dead! Google Files For Virtual Keyboard Patent in Relation To Glass - I think almost every technologist wants Google Glass to succeed. Via competition, it can push other technologies forward. If you’re a Google user you are excited for the possibilities but most are just looking forward to wearable computing. Any which way, it will be a defining technology of the era. Via Droid Life, more here.
- Nielsen: Smartphone Battle Ready To Rage In Brazil, Russia, India - Any businessperson worth their salt looks to the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) countries as indicators of future growth. One of the reasons I’ve challenged Apple’s majority is their inattention to emerging markets, but they are starting to take a look. These markets have billions of unaligned consumers to make a choice. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Could Arrive in February - According to Norwegian retailer Dustin Home, the wireless charging Orb for the Nexus 4 could arrive in February. Having been shown off on Nexus 4 unveiling day as the coolest accessory in town, we still have yet to see it find its way into the hands of anyone outside of Google. That’s not surprising, though, Nexus accessories almost always show up months after debuting during launch. I can’t wait for the orb, but why did it take so long? Via Droid Life, more here.
- LG Remains Committed To Nexus 4 Production, Even As New Nexus Rumors Swirl - So the Nexus 4 has been tough get a hold of. And people have rumored that there is a Nexus 5 on its way (5″ screen, nobody knows the real internals). LG keeps saying Google told them the wrong “demand” details (a very very real detail for every business and logistics person), but refuse to honor any complicity. But LG shot themselves in the foot; they created the best smartphone to date, and let alleged demand get the better of them. If not for the absolutely amazing device the Nexus 4 is, both companies would be sunk, but LG got a big boost from a very real Nexus device, and Google from an OS which many (including yours truly) believe outshines all others. Via Droid Life, more here.
- Has Google Finally Discontinued the Nexus Q? I’ve actually always wanted a Nexus Q, but I have a Google TV, so it is a bit redundant. The smartphone is clearly not the way to the living room, but you have to applaud Google’s effort. They, ridiculously, tried to create an Apple TV replacement, at only 300% of the cost! Oh, wait. THAT DOESN’T WORK. The Nexus Q was going to be cool, but never at $299, or anything more than $99. It’s a fun experiment, but it should have never left the labs. The problem is; sometimes Google lets things escape the labs that have no business doing so. Luckily, the Nexus Q has faded into black while their better suited items float to the forefront. A $50 Nexus Q would have kicked off a revolution (despite flaws) a $300 one? see ya later! Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Is the Lenovo Chromebook right for education? - I am a big fan of the Chromebook, especially the ARM version. It hit the six hour mark, was inexpensive, and had the ability to operate on and off line. Lenovo’s version is more powerful, and great form factor. Any Chromebook is good for education, so long as your students have broadband. Lenovo has best of breed business devices, so I have to believe that their Chromebook solution can work. Via BetaNews, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements around Unified Networks, Cloud Computing strategies, Virtualization around Software defined Data Ce...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,342
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tufin, the market-leading provider of Security Policy Orchestration Solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As the market leader of Security Policy Orchestration, Tufin automates and accelerates network configuration changes while maintaining security and compliance. Tufin's award-winning Orchestration Suite™ gives IT organizations the power and agility to enforce security policy across complex, multi-vendor enterprise networks. With more than 1...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,223
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,577
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,516
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables cloud service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable cloud storage solu...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,281
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,166
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and Care Packs. As a trusted supplier, CBS guarantees quality controlled stock levels thanks to an Auto...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,222
How is unified communications transforming the way businesses operate? In his session at WebRTC Summit, Arvind Rangarajan, Director of Product Marketing at BroadSoft, will discuss how to extend unified communications experience outside the enterprise through WebRTC. He will also review use cases across different industry verticals. Arvind Rangarajan is Director, Product Marketing at BroadSoft. He has over 19 years of experience in the telecommunications industry in various roles such as Software Development, Product Management and Product Marketing, applied across Wireless, Unified Communic...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,568
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,868
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,417
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 926
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,051
With IoT exploding, massive data will transform businesses with opportunities to monetize almost anything that can be measured. In this C-Level Roundtable Discussion at @ThingsExpo, Brendan O’Brien, Aria Systems Co-founder and Chief Evangelist, will lead an expert panel of consultants, thought leaders and practitioners who will look at these new monetization trends, discuss the implications, and detail lessons learned from their collective experience. Finally, the panel will point the way forward for enterprises who wish to leverage the resulting complex recurring revenue models, adding valu...
Apr. 18, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,405
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will meet your customers' needs of tomorrow - today! Ciqada. Let your products take flight. For more inform...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,562
SYS-CON Events announced today that GENBAND, a leading developer of real time communications software solutions, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. The GENBAND team will be on hand to demonstrate their newest product, Kandy. Kandy is a communications Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables companies to seamlessly integrate more human communications into their Web and mobile applications - creating more engaging experiences for their customers and boosting collaboration and productiv...
Apr. 18, 2015 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,239
SYS-CON Events announced today that BroadSoft, the leading global provider of Unified Communications and Collaboration (UCC) services to operators worldwide, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's WebRTC Summit, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BroadSoft is the leading provider of software and services that enable mobile, fixed-line and cable service providers to offer Unified Communications over their Internet Protocol networks. The Company’s core communications platform enables the delivery of a range of enterprise and consumer calling...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,161
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communications (RTC) services for app developers. VoxImplant (built by Zingaya, the real-time communication servi...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,791
SYS-CON Events announced today that AIC, a leading provider of OEM/ODM server and storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. AIC is a leading provider of both standard OTS, off-the-shelf, and OEM/ODM server and storage solutions. With expert in-house design capabilities, validation, manufacturing and production, AIC's broad selection of products are highly flexible and are configurable to any form factor or custom configuration. AIC leads the industry with nearly 20 years of ...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,656
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? Join this panel of experts as they peel away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud environment, and we must architect and code accordingly. At the very least, you’ll have no problem filling in your buzzword bingo cards.
Apr. 16, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,101
Internet of Things (IoT) will be a hybrid ecosystem of diverse devices and sensors collaborating with operational and enterprise systems to create the next big application. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Bramh Gupta, founder and CEO of robomq.io, and Fred Yatzeck, principal architect leading product development at robomq.io, will discuss how choosing the right middleware and integration strategy from the get-go will enable IoT solution developers to adapt and grow with the industry, while at the same time reduce Time to Market (TTM) by using plug and play capabilities offered by a robust I...
Apr. 13, 2015 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,875