|By Bob Gourley||
|January 17, 2013 07:10 PM EST||
- Google Music and Amazon Cloud Player take on iTunes Match. Who wins? The mobile music scene is not going to be easy to sort. We have solutions such as Spotify and Rdio, but iTunes is always the incumbent, while Amazon and Google are attempting to compete. Cloud storage makes sense, but what is the answer? Via Ars Technica, more here.
- Turn Life Into a Video Game With This Dope 8-Bit Camera App - A new iOS app allows you to turn any picture into an 8-bit photograph. This is not only just a fun application, but it allows you to turn any photograph into the console image of your choice. If you’re missing some 8-bit in your life, check it out. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Yelp adding hygiene ratings to New York and San Francisco restaurant listings – Some people are hygiene fiends, the rest of us have eaten Army food. But, when we go out to eat, we hope to have clean meals. Yelp is a terrific app and the addition of hygiene concerns can only help. Via Engadget, more here.
- Samsung May Tackle The iPad Mini With An 8-Inch Galaxy Note – The iPad Mini has been the runaway hit of the season. Samsung is attempting to capitalize on it with their newest offering, the 8-inch Galaxy Note. The Note offers a pen with digitizer that offers best in class communication with a tablet via stylus. While Samsung offers a variety of 7″ (or plus) tablets, none of them sell like the iPad Mini. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Apple job description outlines goal to evolve Siri as a distinct, recognizable character – While Siri is often referred to as the Apple Beta program that failed, they are continuously improving it. Whether or not Siri is the best at voice control (it’s not) it is still a key factor in determining how voice control evolves. I like what Siri does to Google voice search/control and other competitors because it drives them to be better. Via 9to5Mac, more here.
- Google Glass Ain’t Dead! Google Files For Virtual Keyboard Patent in Relation To Glass - I think almost every technologist wants Google Glass to succeed. Via competition, it can push other technologies forward. If you’re a Google user you are excited for the possibilities but most are just looking forward to wearable computing. Any which way, it will be a defining technology of the era. Via Droid Life, more here.
- Nielsen: Smartphone Battle Ready To Rage In Brazil, Russia, India - Any businessperson worth their salt looks to the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) countries as indicators of future growth. One of the reasons I’ve challenged Apple’s majority is their inattention to emerging markets, but they are starting to take a look. These markets have billions of unaligned consumers to make a choice. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Nexus 4 Wireless Charging Orb Could Arrive in February - According to Norwegian retailer Dustin Home, the wireless charging Orb for the Nexus 4 could arrive in February. Having been shown off on Nexus 4 unveiling day as the coolest accessory in town, we still have yet to see it find its way into the hands of anyone outside of Google. That’s not surprising, though, Nexus accessories almost always show up months after debuting during launch. I can’t wait for the orb, but why did it take so long? Via Droid Life, more here.
- LG Remains Committed To Nexus 4 Production, Even As New Nexus Rumors Swirl - So the Nexus 4 has been tough get a hold of. And people have rumored that there is a Nexus 5 on its way (5″ screen, nobody knows the real internals). LG keeps saying Google told them the wrong “demand” details (a very very real detail for every business and logistics person), but refuse to honor any complicity. But LG shot themselves in the foot; they created the best smartphone to date, and let alleged demand get the better of them. If not for the absolutely amazing device the Nexus 4 is, both companies would be sunk, but LG got a big boost from a very real Nexus device, and Google from an OS which many (including yours truly) believe outshines all others. Via Droid Life, more here.
- Has Google Finally Discontinued the Nexus Q? I’ve actually always wanted a Nexus Q, but I have a Google TV, so it is a bit redundant. The smartphone is clearly not the way to the living room, but you have to applaud Google’s effort. They, ridiculously, tried to create an Apple TV replacement, at only 300% of the cost! Oh, wait. THAT DOESN’T WORK. The Nexus Q was going to be cool, but never at $299, or anything more than $99. It’s a fun experiment, but it should have never left the labs. The problem is; sometimes Google lets things escape the labs that have no business doing so. Luckily, the Nexus Q has faded into black while their better suited items float to the forefront. A $50 Nexus Q would have kicked off a revolution (despite flaws) a $300 one? see ya later! Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Is the Lenovo Chromebook right for education? - I am a big fan of the Chromebook, especially the ARM version. It hit the six hour mark, was inexpensive, and had the ability to operate on and off line. Lenovo’s version is more powerful, and great form factor. Any Chromebook is good for education, so long as your students have broadband. Lenovo has best of breed business devices, so I have to believe that their Chromebook solution can work. Via BetaNews, more here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Niagara Networks will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Niagara Networks offers the highest port-density systems, and the most complete Next-Generation Network Visibility systems including Network Packet Brokers, Bypass Switches, and Network TAPs.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,302
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 24, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,503
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 24, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,849
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 24, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,057
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 24, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,667
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Oct. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,310
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,145
SYS-CON Events announced today that Embotics, the cloud automation company, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Embotics is the cloud automation company for IT organizations and service providers that need to improve provisioning or enable self-service capabilities. With a relentless focus on delivering a premier user experience and unmatched customer support, Embotics is the fas...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 853
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 24, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,561
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 945
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 11,385
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,542
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, discussed how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from millio...
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,102
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Oct. 24, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,504
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,332
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Oct. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,508
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 24, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,724
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 24, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 973
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 24, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 903
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 24, 2016 03:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,678