|By CloudCommons 2012||
|January 17, 2013 10:39 AM EST||
Join the Cloud Community!
Join the Cloud Commons group on Smart Enterprise to stay up-to-date on the latest cloud news, videos, blogs, and events.
Netflix announced that they’ve open-sourced Janitor Monkey, a tool that finds and deletes unused cloud resources on Amazon Web Services (AWS), according to this ComputerWorld article. Janitor Monkey, which is part of Netflix’s Simian Army, could result in cost savings for AWS customers.
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has created a new program aimed at keeping systems and cloud services running while a cyber attack is taking place, according to this AOL Defense article. DARPA’s Mission-oriented Resilient Clouds program is designed to test for corruption and divert resources around affected nodes.
The Department of Defense is on its way to drastically reducing the number of data centers it owns and operates by moving to a cloud model, according to this Defense.gov press release.
CloudViews Unplugged Video: AWS Outage, Google Science Grants & Netflix Janitor Monkey
In the latest episode of CloudViews Unplugged, Andi Mann and George Watt of CA Technologies discuss the Christmas Eve AWS outage, cloud standards, Google awarding 6 science projects with up to one billion core-computing hours and Netflix Janitor Monkey.
By Andi Mann, CA Technologies
For a long time now, cloud pundits – service providers, boosters, analysts, vendors, and other mostly vested interests – have stood behind a curtain of “downtime happens, design for failure” when assessing cloud outages.
It seems that with every new failure, the self-styled clouderati repeatedly implore IT leaders to believe that, despite what we are seeing with our own eyes on an almost weekly basis, cloud providers are better at IT than you are.
Over and over, the pundits’ response is a yet another chorus of, “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!” Rather, CIOs and others are implored to simply trust the great and powerful Oz (or is that ‘Aws’?) to provide better uptime than their own in-house IT services. Read the full article.
What questions should you ask a cloud provider? In this Forbes blog, Joe McKendrick shares 9 questions that you should ask a provider before signing a cloud contract and details the parts of the arrangement that are negotiable.
What cloud computing model should enterprises plan for in 2013? In this Smart Enterprise blog, Jeanne Morain discusses how the public cloud may not be mature enough for enterprise adoption, but there are ways that enterprises can leverage the value of public cloud while mitigating risk.
Is cloud computing ready for prime time? In this Smart Enterprise blog, John Dixon recaps the December #CloudViews tweetchat on public cloud and shares his thoughts on public cloud strategy, security, and how to get started with cloud.
How are new trends affecting the traditional IT model? In this GigaOM blog, James Urquhart describes how devops, complex adaptive systems, and anti-fragility are resulting in the emergence of a new IT model.
What’s in store for enterprise mobility in 2013? In this Smart Enterprise blog, Jay Fry takes a look at enterprise mobility trends and patterns of 2012 to predict where enterprise mobility is going in 2013.
Upcoming Cloud Events
- International Conference on Computing: January 28-31, San Diego, CA
- Cloud Expo Europe: January 29-30, Olympia, London
- International Conference on Cloud Computing and Service Science: January 30-31, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict