|By Bob Gourley||
|January 16, 2013 05:30 PM EST||
Here are the top mobile news and stories of the day.
- Samsung Chromebox with Intel Core i5 surfaces - One of my more recent purchases was a Samsung ARM Chromebook. I have become a big fan of the Chrome OS. Upgrading the internals to an Intel Core i5 processor offer a better experience for users (especially on multiple monitors). Via Slashgear, more here.
- Render Leaked For The iPhone 5S, I Mean HTC M7 - the HTC M7 is HTC’s new super phone that is on its way out. HTC certainly needs a win here. Since it was the top Android phone producer in 2009/10, HTC has been losing market-share to the more sophisticated and innovative Samsung. As well, these renders look exactly like an iPhone 5… Via Droid Life, more here.
- Apple online store lets Chinese buy on a two-year plan, puts iPads within reach – I’ve written before that Apple needs to change their plans to win in the emerging markets. Allowing Chinese consumers to purchase their devices on credit is certainly a smart move. It alleviates the largest concern of most Apple products – the price. Via Engadget, more here.
- AT&T Will Finally Let Everyone FaceTime Over 3G Network – FaceTime, which can use a ton of data, should be AT&T’s favorite app – it would allow them to collect extra overage fees. However, it wasn’t allowed on tiered data plans for the longest time. Now it is, so be careful of your usage! Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Leap Motion goes retail: motion controller to be sold exclusively at Best Buy - Leap Motion, the motion-control software and hardware company changing the future of human/computer interaction, today announced it will launch its Leap Motion Controller exclusively in all U.S. Best Buy stores and online at BestBuy.com this spring. The Leap Motion controller will be available for pre-order online at BestBuy.com beginning in February, and Leap Motion will also continue taking pre-orders directly at LeapMotion.com. Via Engadget, more here.
- How to: Scan Your Device for Malware or Potential Threats [Beginners' Guide] – If you are just downloading apps willy-nilly, you need to check out this great guide from Droid-Life. While I only download apps that I know are from a reputable source, not everyone does this. So check out this guide and make sure your smartphone is safe! (Oh and please do not download pirated apps, THANKS!) Via Droid Life, more here.
- Microsoft PLAY brings Xbox Arcade to Windows 8 and RT - The Xbox Arcade has proven to be a huge source of income to Microsoft. Bringing that to Windows 8 and RT could prove to be a selling point for some die hard Xbox-ers. The lack of a mobile platform may have hurt them in the past, but could be quite valuable in the future. Via Slashgear, more here.
- Samsung introduces first updates to patch Exynos processor software vulnerability in US - Samsung has finally begun to patch their Exynos devices in the US. T-Mobile has begun to release OTA updates and Sprint has also released some. These were huge vulnerabilities and need to be patched ASAP. Via The Verge, more here.
- Free Voice Calling Rolls Out on Facebook Messenger for iOS – The latest Facebook Messenger update promised VOIP calling and now it is live. Gizmodo has tried it out and found that the service works great over data and WiFi. As more services such as iMessage, Facebook Messenger, Google Talk and Skype roll out, we may see cellular networks having to re-evaluate their tiers and costs. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict