|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 11:31 AM EST||
EVANSTON, Ill., Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Industrial employment in Oregon increased one percent over the past year, according to the 2013 Oregon Manufacturers Directory®, an industrial directory published annually by Manufacturers' News, Inc. (MNI) Evanston, IL. MNI reports Oregon gained 2,289 manufacturing jobs from October 2011 to October 2012, more than double the gain reported over the 2010-2011 survey period.
Manufacturers' News reports Oregon is now home to 5,757 manufacturers employing 217,166 workers.
"Oregon continues to see its manufacturing sector improve," says Tom Dubin, President of the Evanston, IL-based publishing company, which has been surveying industry since 1912. "Although the state's industrial sector still suffers from the ailing housing industry, it maintains a winning mix of abundant natural resources and lower business costs than its neighbors."
Bright spots for the state included Intel's plans for an expansion at its Hillsboro facility; the opening of ECOB Wood Coatings in Salem; the expansion of Boeing's plant in Gresham; and the expansion of ConAgra's frozen potato plant in Boardman. In addition, Pacific PET Recycling broke ground on a new processing plant in St. Helens; Cargill established a new baking facility in Tualatin; Morgan Co. located a new factory in Portland; and EnerG2 opened a battery materials plant in Albany.
MNI reports electronics manufacturing remains Oregon's largest industrial sector by employment with 31,531 jobs, up 4.8% over the year. Food products manufacturing has overtaken lumber/wood as the state's second-largest industrial sector by employment, and currently accounts for 29,110 jobs, with no significant change reported over the year. Third-ranked lumber/wood now employs 28,654 workers, 4.6% less than a year ago.
Industrial sectors that gained jobs over the year included primary metals, up 11.9%; furniture/fixtures, up 9.4%; transportation equipment, up 6.9%; rubber/plastics, up 6.2%; and chemicals, up 1%. Losses included paper products, which fell 4.2% following the closure of Boise Inc.'s St. Helens paper mill, among others. Textiles/apparel declined 3.1%; printing/publishing fell 2.6%; and stone/clay/glass declined 1.7%, according to MNI.
Manufacturers' News reports Northwest Oregon accounts for the most industrial employment in the state with 161,551 jobs, up 1.7% over the year. Southwest Oregon accounts for 41,449 jobs, down 1.9%, while Southeast Oregon is home to 7,993 industrial workers, with no significant change reported. Northeast Oregon accounts for 6,173 industrial jobs, up 4.8% over the past twelve months.
According to the industrial directory, Portland is Oregon's top city for manufacturing employment, home to 48,252 jobs, up 1% over the year. Second-ranked Hillsboro accounts for 24,840 jobs, up 6.9% over the past twelve months. Beaverton accounts for 15,801 manufacturing jobs, virtually unchanged from a year ago, while fourth-ranked Eugene accounts for 11,661, down 1.3%. Salem is home to 7,342 manufacturing jobs, up 2.6% over the past year.
Detailed profiles of Oregon's 5,757 manufacturers and 1,003 distributors can be found in the 2013 Oregon Manufacturers Directory®, available in print for $114, or available online through MNI's subscription-based service at www.ezselect.com. Users may generate custom profiles of manufacturers using a variety of criteria, including area or zip code, county, SIC, sales volume, number of employees, and more. Each profile provides up to 30 facts, including vital contact information (phone, web, e-mail), 19,732 executives by name and title, product(s) manufactured, annual sales, and number of employees. MNI also maintains IndustryNet.com, an industrial search engine designed specifically for locating manufacturers and suppliers nationwide, and has recently launched an expansion and relocation guide for manufacturers.
Manufacturers' News, Inc. is the nation's oldest and largest publisher of state manufacturers directories. For 101 years the company has identified, researched and profiled manufacturing establishments. MNI employs an 85-person editorial staff to scour state business registrations, trade journals, financial reports, and many other sources to pinpoint every manufacturing establishment in the U.S. Each manufacturer is contacted throughout the year to update their profiles, including their employee counts. For more information, contact Manufacturers' News, Inc., 1633 Central St., Evanston, IL, 60201, 847-864-7000, FAX 847-332-1100. www.manufacturersnews.com. Information is also available on Facebook and Twitter.
SOURCE Manufacturers' News, Inc.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict