|By Karin Wilson||
|January 8, 2013 08:00 AM EST||
Businesses live and die by their ability to sell. When it comes to cloud computing, this is no different. The benefits associated with selling in the cloud are shorter time to market, revenue streams that don't tend to fluctuate, and a shortened sales cycle. Despite common belief, the key to successful selling in the cloud doesn't rely on the technology infrastructure behind the scenes -- the real key is in billing.
Monetizing the Agreement
In essence, a cloud solution is an agreement between the vendor and the user. The ability to monetize that agreement is the heart of how to sell in the cloud. The more customers using your solution, the more revenue you create. To ensure a steady and predictable revenue stream the back end systems need to be able to support it.
Function Before Form
The temptation with any sales process is to sell the sizzle; however, in a cloud environment, function is what's important. Simplicity is key - from account creation to managing payment processes, billing, and user management, making these processes as simple as possible will make signing up new customers much easier.
Having a customer relationship management process in place will also allow for easier access to things like entitlements and product updates; and it will make the procedure to cross sell easier because a CRM solution allows a business to target a perfect niche user, based on their previous habits.
Using the cloud in the sales process allows for a level of scalability that businesses did not have before. The ability to ramp up selling historically was tied to staffing; now it's simply a matter of production vs demand. Ensure that your cloud solution provides the necessary level of scalability so that you are prepared for future growth.
Service Before Sales
At its core sales is about service, and providing the customer with what they need. While a cloud provider may have all the bells and whistles and be able to charm you with the latest technology buzzwords, fulfilling the basic function of satisfying the customer is at the heart of selling, whether it be in the cloud or in person.
Focus on the fundamentals of making it easy for the customer to buy. By giving the best service possible before and after the sale, selling in the cloud will be one of the most profitable and predictable revenue sources your business can leverage.
Research for this post was provided by Rand Group, an ERP software solution provider in Houston, Texas.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict