|By PR Newswire||
|January 4, 2013 08:54 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Philip Tegeler, executive director of the Policy & Race Research Action Council (PRRAC), today posted a blog at the Huffington Post discussing the benefits to white public school students from attending diverse classrooms.
"For decades, educators and sociologists have documented the disadvantages to minority children being taught in segregated classrooms, and the long term and short term educational benefits of integration for children of color," Mr. Tegeler writes. "But we have neglected the strong evidence that white students also benefit from school diversity."
Mr. Tegeler cites a recent research paper by the National Coalition on School Diversity (NCSD) entitled, "How Non-Minority Students Also Benefit from Racially Diverse Schools." The paper "concludes that white students benefit from attending multicultural schools in a number of ways," he writes. "For instance, white students in diverse learning environments are exposed to complex classroom discussions and they also develop better critical thinking and problem-solving skills than their counterparts in racially homogeneous schools."
Read Mr. Tegeler's full blog at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/philip-tegeler/diverse-classrooms-also-b_b_2403328.html Please join the conversation! PRRAC, along with NCSD, are seeking to recharge the fight to integrate the nation's public schools that are as segregated now as they were during the 1960s.
You can also follow Mr. Tegeler's organization on twitter at https://twitter.com/PRRAC_DC , on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Poverty-and-Race-Research-Action-Council/480723658639202 and at www.prrac.org.
PRRAC, a civil rights policy organization based in Washington, D.C., connects advocates with social scientists working on race and poverty issues, and promotes a research-based advocacy strategy on structural inequality issues. At the present time, PRRAC is pursuing work in the areas of housing, education, and health, focusing on the importance of "place" and the continuing consequences of historical patterns of housing segregation and development for low income families in the areas of health, education, employment, and incarceration.
Michael K. Frisby
SOURCE Policy & Race Research Action Council
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict