|By Marketwired .||
|January 3, 2013 10:00 AM EST||
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 01/03/13 -- Online news sources that wish to have stories visible to Google News search users must better utilise the "news_keyword" meta tag, says integrated PR, social media and SEO agency, Punch Communications.
The meta tag was launched by Google in September 2012, but since that time, very few online publishers have incorporated it into their site, despite it being designed specifically to assist such websites rank better in the search engine's news results. Within the tag, which should be used for each webpage, up to ten keywords or key phrases related to the context of the news story can be listed.
The tag was introduced because news headlines are often limited to a certain number of characters and therefore cannot incorporate all possible relevant search terms. Furthermore, some journalists are not search savvy or are writing primarily for the printed version of the publication, meaning the headline will be written from a traditional print point of view; for example, a witty headline, a play on words or a title that contains a pun may not be SEO friendly.
Google has declined to comment on how many online publishers are using the tag, but a report by rival search engine Blekko has revealed that only 2,465 domains are using it. Whilst a number of authoritative news sites, such as the BBC, New York Times, Huffington Post and PR Newswire are correctly incorporating the tag, this figure is extremely low; it equates to approximately five per cent of the 50,000 sources that feature in the Google News pages.
Pete Goold, managing director of integrated PR agency, Punch Communications, commented: "Whilst the news keyword tag is being used by a number of the larger, more authoritative online news websites, just five per cent of sources utilising it is an exceedingly low figure, especially now that it has been three months since the feature was launched. Google introduced the tag specifically to help stories with unusual, short or pun-type headlines to rank in its News pages. Therefore, publishers, especially smaller sites, must take full advantage if they want to fully benefit from having good online visibility."
To find out what an integrated search, PR and social media agency can do for your brand in comparison to a traditional approach, please contact Punch Communications on 01858 411 600 or via www.punchcomms.com.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict