|By Maureen O'Gara||
|January 3, 2013 09:00 AM EST||
Andy Jassy, the head of Amazon's cloud business and the Harvard MBA who wrote its business plan, told the Sunday Telegraph in London over the weekend that AWS could some day displace Apple as the world's most valuable tech company.
"We don't say to ourselves, ‘What we're really doing is trying to build the largest technology company in the world,'" he told the paper. "We just happen to think, with how much computing is going to move to the cloud, and with the breadth and global footprint that we have, and our continuing [commitment] to iterate at a very fast pace, it just has the chance to be the largest technology company."
Amazon doesn't break out Amazon Web Services' results, but watchers reckon it could currently be at $1 billion-$1.5 billion in revenues, supposedly profitable despite very thin margins.
"At the highest levels of this company," Jassy said, "we believe that it's quite possible that AWS ends up being the largest business in Amazon. We believe [that] passionately. Now that is saying a lot because our retail business, which is a $40 billion business, is still growing 25% to 30% year-on-year. We're not there yet and I don't know how long that will take but we see that as a real possibility."
Quoting analysts, the Telegraph suggests that Amazon is out to "own the Internet" by leveraging a "different backdoor" than Google, which is effectively supposed to own it now.
That backdoor is what Jassy touts as the "Internet operating system" as manifest in AWS.
He's convinced that cloud computing is going to predominate. "People should make no mistake about it the model that we're pursuing is going to be the dominant way that computing exists in the next 10 years. You can jump up and down all you want. You can raise all the objections that you want. You can take any bump along the way and say, ‘Look, look, look!' and try to scare people. But the reality is that if the value proposition is that compelling it is going to happen. You can't stop gravity."
And he figures Amazon's first mover advantage is going to win out over the so-called old-guard cloudwashers passing off legacy technology as the cloud. "There isn't a compression algorithm for experience. You can't learn a lot of the lessons without having [our] scale and diversity," he says.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict