|By Udayan Banerjee||
|January 1, 2013 01:30 AM EST||
Synergize … Differentiate … Aggregate
That is what has worked for me in my four and a half years of blogging endeavor.
These are in addition to several mandatory practices that you should follow to give you a chance to have a large readership. So, I have included links to posts which very clearly explains what you need to do.
Before I explain what I really mean let me add a word of caution.
Why do I blog?
I write about technology … technology trend as I see it from an Indian perspective. I write to convey my thoughts to a wider audience. I never had any intention to monetize my writing. It feels great when I come to know that you have read and have liked my post.
So, if you are looking for advice on how to monetize your writing or write to promote your business, then this is not for you.
1. How did I sustain my writing?
You do not grow a readership overnight. It takes time … months … years. You will have to sustain your effort. You need to have patience. You need to keep writing.
You can sustain such effort only if you are passionate about what you write and better still if it is related to what you do.
That is how I have managed to find time to write. The background work that I need to do to write a post is something I like doing and it also helps me in my work.
[Here is a typical example - Gartner Hype Cycle 2012 – Emerging Technologies]
…it is the synergy between my writing, passion and work.
2. Where do I find topics to write about?
My main source of topics come from the opinion that I have … opinion which I form when I read a technology news item … thoughts triggered by other writers.
However, what I have in mind – what I want to say may be trivial. It might have been repeated many time in the blogosphere. There is no fun in repeating what others have already said. At least you need to add a twist in the tale.
So, researching the topic is extremely important. You need to find what other people have already said. Then pause and ponder how your view is different from what is already been written.
One interesting way to add a twist is to correlate what you want to say with something in an entirely unrelated field.
[Here is a typical example - Has Apple Done Samsung A Favor?]
…find out what others have said and then present a different and unique viewpoint.
If you are unable to differentiate then what do you do? Well … you consider dropping that idea. But wait – there is an alternative.
3. How to get over the challenge of not having different viewpoint?
Having done your research, you now know what people have already said about the topic. Your have with you diverse opinion on the same topic.
You can now collate and present a holistic picture for your readers. You can clearly identify the pros and cons. Do include reference to all the posts that you have liked. Also, you will have the opportunity to post a comment on those posts.
[Here is a typical example - Agile Maturity Model – 3 Different Approaches]
…having researched the topic, you can act as an aggregator.
BTW: Towards the fag end of last year, cumulative hits to my blogs have crossed one million.
Articles about better blogging
- 5 Creative Tips to Increase Blog Traffic and Boost Your Business
- 7 Ways to Increase Your Blog Visibility With Social Sharing
- 10 Blogging Tips
- 11 Must-Dos for the Serious Blogger
- 19 Ways to Build Relationships With Blog Comments
- 26 Tips for Writing Great Blog Posts
- 26 Essentials for Blogging Success: What You Need to Know
- 40 Ways to Deliver Killer Blog Content
- If You Intend To Blog Seriously
- Keeping the Blogging Fires Burning
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict