|By CloudCommons 2012||
|December 20, 2012 02:16 PM EST||
The This Week in Cloud team wants to wish you a happy holiday! We’ll be taking a break from our coverage next week, but we look forward to continuing to provide you with the latest cloud news in the new year.
Google announced that it has awarded grants to six science based projects, giving each project 100 million core-computing hours, according to this GigaOM article. Google detailed the winning research projects, ranging from pharmaceutical to astrophysical research, in its Research Blog.
There were many high profile cloud outages in 2012. This CRN slideshow reveals the top 10 outages that have occurred this year.
Amazon announced AWS Detailed Billing Reports in response to customer demand for more detailed billing of their cloud usage, according to this Talkin’ Cloud article. The new reports break down billing by the hour.
Smart Enterprise Magazine: Identity as the New Perimeter
The cloud-based mobile enterprise needs special protection. Centralized identity management is the best solution, says John Hawley of CA Technologies. Read “Identity as the New Perimeter,” in the new issue of Smart Enterprise magazine Fearless: How IT Security Empowers Business. Download the free iPad app or read the online edition today.
By George Watt, CA Technologies
Despite decades of talk about how IT needs to align to the business, in many organizations, IT and the business are not speaking the same language -- if they're speaking at all. In fact, nearly half (41%) of the business managers surveyed in a recent CA Technologies study said IT lacks communications skills.
This communication gap exists, in large part, because often we in IT don't focus on the right topics. We're likely to talk about service metrics: how long systems are up, how quickly systems that are down are brought back up, how many help desk calls are resolved, and that sort of thing. These metrics matter, but they're tactical to the business, perhaps aside from their use in preventing finger-pointing about lousy service. Read the full article.
Having trouble sorting through all those cloud predictions? In this episode of CloudViews Unplugged, Andi Mann and George Watt of CA Technologies discuss the latest cloud predictions for 2013.
Should software companies be entirely cloud-based? In this Forbes blog, Joe McKendrick examines how cloud computing is shifting the traditional on-premise business model for software companies.
Did you miss the #CloudViews tweetchat on public cloud? We asked our 30 chat participants questions on the maturity of public cloud, cloud security, and where to get started with cloud. You can read the Storify transcript on Smart Enterprise.
How do CEOs feel about big data? In this Forbes blog, Robert Reiss reached out to the CEOs of GE Healthcare and ADT, as well as the head of wealth management at Merrill Lynch to get their opinions on the rise of big data and the impact that it may have on their industries.
Where’s IT headed in 2013? In this press release, CA Technologies outlines its 5 IT predictions for 2013 including: big data grows up, enterprises adopt public cloud, identity is the new perimeter, the seventh sense, and mobile/social first in the enterprise.
IBM announced that it is acquiring StoredIQ, a privately-held company that specializes in big data, according to this ZDNet article.
Upcoming Cloud Events
- Cloud Expo Europe: January 29-30, Olympia, London
- International Conference on Computing: January 28-31, San Diego, CA
- Cloud Expo Europe: January 29-30, Olympia, London
- International Conference on Cloud Computing and Service Science: January 30-31, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict