|By John Cowan||
|December 20, 2012 11:00 AM EST||
David Linthicum published a good article on the lack of IT cost analysis and planning related to cloud a few weeks ago that is worth some discussion. The article highlights a study from the Big Data Group’s called the Cloud Cost Benchmark Study, which indicates AWS users are significantly underutilizing their usage of cloud, thus undercutting potential cost savings and highlighting large cloud inefficiencies. VentureBeat featured a similar story back in August 2012 saying “The cloud eats two-thirds of your cash“. Both of these articles, and the trend in general, highlight exactly why 6fusion’s “metering first” approach is gaining traction.
Take this quote from Linthicum’s article for example:
“Planning means that we do some detailed modeling of how our system will exist within the target cloud platform. This includes utilization of resources, and a model that depicts the cost of operating the system over time, and looking at ways to make the use of a cloud service more cost effective.”
6fusion’s IT cost analysis is a first step in that direction by providing accurate measurements of how much computing capacity an organization has and what it costs to run per unit of compute. Combine that with the fact that a federated network of public cloud providers is using that same unit of compute to measure IT resource consumption in their public cloud environments and you have the ability to get real data on what your cloud resource consumption will be before you ever move to the public cloud.
Another quote from Linthicum:
“Deep management should be implemented that monitors the utilization of resources, with a link to cost data. Right now, many cloud-based systems are not monitored, or just monitored for up-time statistics. Operational monitoring should also include costs of resources utilized, allowing the operator to tune the systems to provide the best operational performance at the lowest cost.”
Absolutely agree. 6fusion’s Cloud Resource Meter was designed for metering IT resource consumption across public and private cloud environments. Using the right IT operational metrics are absolutely critical in getting the efficiency gains you are looking for. 6fusion’s IT metric is the Workload Allocation Cube, which incorporates CPU, Memory, Storage, LAN I/O, WAN I/O, and DISK I/O into a commercial standard metric that is used across virtual, physical, public and private environments around the world today.
But it all comes down to metering first and a strong IT cost analysis up front sets the groundwork for future success in the cloud.
The post IT cost analysis is first step to making cloud efficient appeared first on 6fusion.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict