|By PR Newswire||
|December 14, 2012 09:01 AM EST||
LONDON, December 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Carlos Slim given prestigious award, entrepreneurs launch Instapocalypse and AVG announce Yahoo partnership
International telecoms magnate and America Movil CEO Carlos Slim has been granted the prestigious Eisenhower Global Leadership Award this week, recognising his contribution to the business world and extensive philanthropic activities.
Mr. Slim, who was also recently named as the richest man in the world for the past two years in a row, accepted the award at a high-profile event in Virginia, hosted by popular former TV host Larry King. Judges were impressed by the CEO's incredible contribution to business leadership. They noted his success in growing a small South American company into one of the world's most valuable groups, operating in 30 different countries around the world.
In addition to his business activities, Mr. Slim was praised for his contributions to a number of charitable causes, especially in the field of promoting democracy and political freedom throughout South America. One industry leader described the entrepreneur as a "role model for how to do it right. He has truly made a positive and enduring impact and has achieved it on a global scale."
Two innovative entrepreneurs have launched the Instapocalypse website this week, in an attempt to capitalise on the social buzz surrounding the prophesied Mayan apocalypse.
The new site aggregates pictures taken via Instagram using the "Apocalypse" hashtag on Twitter, before displaying the results on their brand new website. The concept was made into a reality thanks to the partnership between serial website designer Savannah Peterson and programmer James Dullaghan, who came together over their shared interest of highlighting the humorous side of the apocalyptic predictions. Dullaghan discussed his inspiration for the site in an interview this week, explaining: "I love that people get scared of a date on the calendar, but forget the fact they are flying through the air on a giant rock at 67,000 miles per hour."
Online security experts AVG has announced a new partnership with tech giants Yahoo, creating a safe search bar for web users.
The new safe search bar allows users to browse the web whilst protecting themselves from dangerous viruses. Following the partnership, those who use Yahoo's built-in search engine will benefit from AVG's "LinkScanner" technology, which continually scans search results, blocking sites that are potentially hosting malicious software. According to Yahoo VP Shashi Seth, it sees "this new relationship as a strategic way for us to enrich and broaden our search footprint moving forward."
Follow PR Newswire on Twitter
Keep up-to-date with the latest sector-specific news headlines by following PR Newswire's Twitter accounts:
About PR Newswire
PR Newswire is the premier global provider of multimedia platforms that enable marketers, corporate communicators, sustainability officers, public affairs and investor relations officers to leverage content to engage with all their key audiences. Having pioneered the commercial news distribution industry 58 years ago, PR Newswire today provides end-to-end solutions to produce, optimize and target content - from rich media to online video to multimedia - and then distribute content and measure results across traditional, digital, mobile and social channels. Combining the world's largest multi-channel, multi-cultural content distribution and optimization network with comprehensive workflow tools and platforms, PR Newswire enables the world's enterprises to engage opportunity everywhere it exists. PR Newswire serves tens of thousands of clients from offices in the Americas, Europe, Middle East, Africa and the Asia-Pacific region, and is a UBM plc company.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict