|By Pat Romanski||
|December 13, 2012 05:45 AM EST||
“This year we’ve seen enterprises turn increasingly to Dell Services to help modernize and adapt their IT environments to manage the growing challenges and opportunities presented by these disruptive forces," said Suresh Vaswani, president, Dell Services, as Dell's CEO Michael Dell used his keynote at this year’s Dell World conference in Austin, Texas to unveil a technical preview of its private cloud.
Customers from small businesses to large enterprises, across geographies and industries, selected Dell Services in 2012 to help transform IT and solve business problems, Vaswani explained.
"With industrialized service offerings that make it simple for customers to receive the level of service that’s right for them, Dell Services offers consulting services and end-to-end capabilities that empower IT to achieve cost savings, growth and innovation," he added.
“At Dell World this week, we’re talking about the disruptive forces that our customers are facing, such as cloud, social media, mobility, data and security, More and more, our customers are recognizing the power of information technology and services in enabling their business outcomes,” said Viswani.
Examples of Dell Services milestones in 2012 include:
Security: Protecting Customers from Cyber Attacks
- Dell recently reported that security revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 16 percent year over year. Dell SecureWorks has been a significant contributor, continuing to expand its role as a leader in Information Security Services since it was acquired by Dell in 2011. It now processes more than 30 billion events every day.
- In an effort to grow its services further for its customers, Dell SecureWorks is teaming with FireEye®, a leader in advanced threat protection, to protect customers from advanced cyber attacks. The company will manage and monitor the FireEye Malware Protection System™ (MPS) family of appliances. The FireEye MPS solution gives Dell SecureWorks customers an additional layer of protection against spear phishing attacks, web attacks and other obfuscated attacks typically used in stealthy and highly-sophisticated Advanced Persistent Threat campaigns, before they can compromise their targets. Dell SecureWorks will be the inaugural Managed Security Services Provider partner of the FireEye Certified Service Provider program.
Cloud: Ongoing Commitment to OpenStack
- Dell is seeing success from its focused efforts and investments in cloud, and reported that cloud revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 30 percent year over year.
- As an early pioneer and an active leader in the OpenStack community, Dell is increasing its commitment to OpenStack as its open source cloud platform of choice for public and private cloud. While Dell will continue to offer outstanding overall solutions for any type of cloud that customers want to run, the company believes the open and compatible nature of OpenStack allows customers to take advantage of hybrid capabilities to move workloads between private and public clouds.
- Dell will build its private and public cloud platforms on OpenStack. As a first step, today Dell is releasing a technical preview of its private cloud, Dell Cloud Dedicated, with OpenStack. Using OpenStack as Dell’s primary platform offers customers the benefits of scalability, self-service access and a consumption-based usage model, while enabling a new, improved way to develop and run applications taking advantage of open source cloud. Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack also provides private cloud infrastructure that can meet the security and compliance needs of large enterprises and vertical organizations. Companies interested in participating in the technical preview of Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack may email [email protected] for information.
- In addition to Dell’s advancements with open source clouds, Dell also offers a VMware-based Dell Cloud Dedicated Service to deliver managed private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service. Dell Cloud Dedicated offers all the benefits of cloud computing for customers with VMware requirements and is designed to meet the strict security and regulatory requirements of the most sensitive data, such as health care information.
- The company also has seen strong momentum in public cloud and its online ordering capability that enables customers to automatically provision Dell cloud and get up and running with preconfigured bundles in a matter of minutes. These bundles include security monitoring and around-the-clock support from Dell SecureWorks™, Quest Defender, SonicWall and Dell ProSupport™. Customers may also choose from additional options, including cloud security solutions from Trend Micro.
Application Modernization: Modernizing IT for Tomorrow’s Business Needs
- Dell Services continues to enhance and refine its application modernization offerings to help customers reduce the cost of transitioning business-critical applications and data from legacy computing systems to open, standards-based platforms and agile cloud infrastructures. Since Dell acquired Clerity Solutions and Make Technologies earlier this year, Dell Services has won application modernization engagements across the globe, including assessments, re-hosting and re-architecture implementations.
- As organizations aim to better align business decisions with technology, Dell Portfolio Assessment services now offer the ability to define business capabilities and link them directly to technical assets. Dell Portfolio Assessment services help organizations better understand the application assets they have, create a direct link from the top-level business layer down to the applications’ programs and source code, and create a comprehensive modernization roadmap for the future.
Global Support & Deployment: Proactive Support, Optimized Storage Solutions
- Dell is announcing new SupportAssist technology to provide proactive support for Dell PowerEdge servers, PowerVault storage arrays and PowerConnect switches. Available today to Dell ProSupport* customers, SupportAssist installs quickly to enable remote monitoring, automatic case creation and data collection, as well as proactive parts dispatch with customer consent. With SupportAssist, customers can gain insight and control of their environment, enabling them to resolve issues quickly and minimize downtime.
- Dell also has launched a new Storage Consulting Accelerators service to provide solution designs and optimization plans for storing, protecting and archiving massive amounts of data. Dell IT consultants rapidly perform an automated data collection process, business needs assessment, and gap analysis to develop an integrated custom data management solution with a sound cost benefit analysis, tailored to the needs of the clients and the customers they serve.
- Dell ProSupport,* which simplifies support with one contract, one support team and one point of accountability, is extending its global multivendor capabilities to cover Apple products in addition to HP, Cisco, NetApp, IBM, Sun, Toshiba and more on thousands of models ranging from x86 servers to laptops, desktops, UNIX®, networking and storage.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 25, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,411
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,505
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 25, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,277
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pulzze Systems will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Pulzze Systems, Inc. provides infrastructure products for the Internet of Things to enable any connected device and system to carry out matched operations without programming. For more information, visit http://www.pulzzesystems.com.
Sep. 25, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,791
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 25, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,510
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 817
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,397
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,082
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 25, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,374
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,638
IoT is fundamentally transforming the auto industry, turning the vehicle into a hub for connected services, including safety, infotainment and usage-based insurance. Auto manufacturers – and businesses across all verticals – have built an entire ecosystem around the Connected Car, creating new customer touch points and revenue streams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Macario Namie, Head of IoT Strategy at Cisco Jasper, will share real-world examples of how IoT transforms the car from a static p...
Sep. 25, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,507
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 25, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,563
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,699
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 25, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 860
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 922
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 25, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 968
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 25, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,559
Almost two-thirds of companies either have or soon will have IoT as the backbone of their business in 2016. However, IoT is far more complex than most firms expected. How can you not get trapped in the pitfalls? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will introduce a holistic method of IoTification, which is the process of IoTifying the existing technology and business models to adopt and leverage IoT. He will drill down to the components in this fra...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,534
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,681
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 25, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,501