|By Pat Romanski||
|December 13, 2012 05:45 AM EST||
“This year we’ve seen enterprises turn increasingly to Dell Services to help modernize and adapt their IT environments to manage the growing challenges and opportunities presented by these disruptive forces," said Suresh Vaswani, president, Dell Services, as Dell's CEO Michael Dell used his keynote at this year’s Dell World conference in Austin, Texas to unveil a technical preview of its private cloud.
Customers from small businesses to large enterprises, across geographies and industries, selected Dell Services in 2012 to help transform IT and solve business problems, Vaswani explained.
"With industrialized service offerings that make it simple for customers to receive the level of service that’s right for them, Dell Services offers consulting services and end-to-end capabilities that empower IT to achieve cost savings, growth and innovation," he added.
“At Dell World this week, we’re talking about the disruptive forces that our customers are facing, such as cloud, social media, mobility, data and security, More and more, our customers are recognizing the power of information technology and services in enabling their business outcomes,” said Viswani.
Examples of Dell Services milestones in 2012 include:
Security: Protecting Customers from Cyber Attacks
- Dell recently reported that security revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 16 percent year over year. Dell SecureWorks has been a significant contributor, continuing to expand its role as a leader in Information Security Services since it was acquired by Dell in 2011. It now processes more than 30 billion events every day.
- In an effort to grow its services further for its customers, Dell SecureWorks is teaming with FireEye®, a leader in advanced threat protection, to protect customers from advanced cyber attacks. The company will manage and monitor the FireEye Malware Protection System™ (MPS) family of appliances. The FireEye MPS solution gives Dell SecureWorks customers an additional layer of protection against spear phishing attacks, web attacks and other obfuscated attacks typically used in stealthy and highly-sophisticated Advanced Persistent Threat campaigns, before they can compromise their targets. Dell SecureWorks will be the inaugural Managed Security Services Provider partner of the FireEye Certified Service Provider program.
Cloud: Ongoing Commitment to OpenStack
- Dell is seeing success from its focused efforts and investments in cloud, and reported that cloud revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 30 percent year over year.
- As an early pioneer and an active leader in the OpenStack community, Dell is increasing its commitment to OpenStack as its open source cloud platform of choice for public and private cloud. While Dell will continue to offer outstanding overall solutions for any type of cloud that customers want to run, the company believes the open and compatible nature of OpenStack allows customers to take advantage of hybrid capabilities to move workloads between private and public clouds.
- Dell will build its private and public cloud platforms on OpenStack. As a first step, today Dell is releasing a technical preview of its private cloud, Dell Cloud Dedicated, with OpenStack. Using OpenStack as Dell’s primary platform offers customers the benefits of scalability, self-service access and a consumption-based usage model, while enabling a new, improved way to develop and run applications taking advantage of open source cloud. Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack also provides private cloud infrastructure that can meet the security and compliance needs of large enterprises and vertical organizations. Companies interested in participating in the technical preview of Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack may email [email protected] for information.
- In addition to Dell’s advancements with open source clouds, Dell also offers a VMware-based Dell Cloud Dedicated Service to deliver managed private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service. Dell Cloud Dedicated offers all the benefits of cloud computing for customers with VMware requirements and is designed to meet the strict security and regulatory requirements of the most sensitive data, such as health care information.
- The company also has seen strong momentum in public cloud and its online ordering capability that enables customers to automatically provision Dell cloud and get up and running with preconfigured bundles in a matter of minutes. These bundles include security monitoring and around-the-clock support from Dell SecureWorks™, Quest Defender, SonicWall and Dell ProSupport™. Customers may also choose from additional options, including cloud security solutions from Trend Micro.
Application Modernization: Modernizing IT for Tomorrow’s Business Needs
- Dell Services continues to enhance and refine its application modernization offerings to help customers reduce the cost of transitioning business-critical applications and data from legacy computing systems to open, standards-based platforms and agile cloud infrastructures. Since Dell acquired Clerity Solutions and Make Technologies earlier this year, Dell Services has won application modernization engagements across the globe, including assessments, re-hosting and re-architecture implementations.
- As organizations aim to better align business decisions with technology, Dell Portfolio Assessment services now offer the ability to define business capabilities and link them directly to technical assets. Dell Portfolio Assessment services help organizations better understand the application assets they have, create a direct link from the top-level business layer down to the applications’ programs and source code, and create a comprehensive modernization roadmap for the future.
Global Support & Deployment: Proactive Support, Optimized Storage Solutions
- Dell is announcing new SupportAssist technology to provide proactive support for Dell PowerEdge servers, PowerVault storage arrays and PowerConnect switches. Available today to Dell ProSupport* customers, SupportAssist installs quickly to enable remote monitoring, automatic case creation and data collection, as well as proactive parts dispatch with customer consent. With SupportAssist, customers can gain insight and control of their environment, enabling them to resolve issues quickly and minimize downtime.
- Dell also has launched a new Storage Consulting Accelerators service to provide solution designs and optimization plans for storing, protecting and archiving massive amounts of data. Dell IT consultants rapidly perform an automated data collection process, business needs assessment, and gap analysis to develop an integrated custom data management solution with a sound cost benefit analysis, tailored to the needs of the clients and the customers they serve.
- Dell ProSupport,* which simplifies support with one contract, one support team and one point of accountability, is extending its global multivendor capabilities to cover Apple products in addition to HP, Cisco, NetApp, IBM, Sun, Toshiba and more on thousands of models ranging from x86 servers to laptops, desktops, UNIX®, networking and storage.
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 11:30 PM EST Reads: 1,145
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lead...
Dec. 9, 2016 10:45 PM EST Reads: 493
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 9, 2016 10:00 PM EST Reads: 293
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 09:30 PM EST Reads: 1,281
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 9, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,020
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for ...
Dec. 9, 2016 07:45 PM EST Reads: 721
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effici...
Dec. 9, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 5,147
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 9, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,766
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 9, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 2,374
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Dec. 9, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,891
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 9, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,472
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Dec. 9, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,317
As data explodes in quantity, importance and from new sources, the need for managing and protecting data residing across physical, virtual, and cloud environments grow with it. Managing data includes protecting it, indexing and classifying it for true, long-term management, compliance and E-Discovery. Commvault can ensure this with a single pane of glass solution – whether in a private cloud, a Service Provider delivered public cloud or a hybrid cloud environment – across the heterogeneous enter...
Dec. 9, 2016 04:45 PM EST Reads: 1,869
"Dice has been around for the last 20 years. We have been helping tech professionals find new jobs and career opportunities," explained Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 03:30 PM EST Reads: 1,247
Extracting business value from Internet of Things (IoT) data doesn’t happen overnight. There are several requirements that must be satisfied, including IoT device enablement, data analysis, real-time detection of complex events and automated orchestration of actions. Unfortunately, too many companies fall short in achieving their business goals by implementing incomplete solutions or not focusing on tangible use cases. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products...
Dec. 9, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 992
"ReadyTalk is an audio and web video conferencing provider. We've really come to embrace WebRTC as the platform for our future of technology," explained Dan Cunningham, CTO of ReadyTalk, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at WebRTC Summit at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 03:15 PM EST Reads: 881
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation; Alan Williamson, Principal...
Dec. 9, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 657
Businesses and business units of all sizes can benefit from cloud computing, but many don't want the cost, performance and security concerns of public cloud nor the complexity of building their own private clouds. Today, some cloud vendors are using artificial intelligence (AI) to simplify cloud deployment and management. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Ajay Gulati, Co-founder and CEO of ZeroStack, will discuss how AI can simplify cloud operations. He will cover the following topics: why clou...
Dec. 9, 2016 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,053
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Dec. 9, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 1,790
"At ROHA we develop an app called Catcha. It was developed after we spent a year meeting with, talking to, interacting with senior citizens watching them use their smartphones and talking to them about how they use their smartphones so we could get to know their smartphone behavior," explained Dave Woods, Chief Innovation Officer at ROHA, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 19th Cloud Expo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 02:15 PM EST Reads: 836