|By Pat Romanski||
|December 13, 2012 05:45 AM EST||
“This year we’ve seen enterprises turn increasingly to Dell Services to help modernize and adapt their IT environments to manage the growing challenges and opportunities presented by these disruptive forces," said Suresh Vaswani, president, Dell Services, as Dell's CEO Michael Dell used his keynote at this year’s Dell World conference in Austin, Texas to unveil a technical preview of its private cloud.
Customers from small businesses to large enterprises, across geographies and industries, selected Dell Services in 2012 to help transform IT and solve business problems, Vaswani explained.
"With industrialized service offerings that make it simple for customers to receive the level of service that’s right for them, Dell Services offers consulting services and end-to-end capabilities that empower IT to achieve cost savings, growth and innovation," he added.
“At Dell World this week, we’re talking about the disruptive forces that our customers are facing, such as cloud, social media, mobility, data and security, More and more, our customers are recognizing the power of information technology and services in enabling their business outcomes,” said Viswani.
Examples of Dell Services milestones in 2012 include:
Security: Protecting Customers from Cyber Attacks
- Dell recently reported that security revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 16 percent year over year. Dell SecureWorks has been a significant contributor, continuing to expand its role as a leader in Information Security Services since it was acquired by Dell in 2011. It now processes more than 30 billion events every day.
- In an effort to grow its services further for its customers, Dell SecureWorks is teaming with FireEye®, a leader in advanced threat protection, to protect customers from advanced cyber attacks. The company will manage and monitor the FireEye Malware Protection System™ (MPS) family of appliances. The FireEye MPS solution gives Dell SecureWorks customers an additional layer of protection against spear phishing attacks, web attacks and other obfuscated attacks typically used in stealthy and highly-sophisticated Advanced Persistent Threat campaigns, before they can compromise their targets. Dell SecureWorks will be the inaugural Managed Security Services Provider partner of the FireEye Certified Service Provider program.
Cloud: Ongoing Commitment to OpenStack
- Dell is seeing success from its focused efforts and investments in cloud, and reported that cloud revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 30 percent year over year.
- As an early pioneer and an active leader in the OpenStack community, Dell is increasing its commitment to OpenStack as its open source cloud platform of choice for public and private cloud. While Dell will continue to offer outstanding overall solutions for any type of cloud that customers want to run, the company believes the open and compatible nature of OpenStack allows customers to take advantage of hybrid capabilities to move workloads between private and public clouds.
- Dell will build its private and public cloud platforms on OpenStack. As a first step, today Dell is releasing a technical preview of its private cloud, Dell Cloud Dedicated, with OpenStack. Using OpenStack as Dell’s primary platform offers customers the benefits of scalability, self-service access and a consumption-based usage model, while enabling a new, improved way to develop and run applications taking advantage of open source cloud. Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack also provides private cloud infrastructure that can meet the security and compliance needs of large enterprises and vertical organizations. Companies interested in participating in the technical preview of Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack may email [email protected] for information.
- In addition to Dell’s advancements with open source clouds, Dell also offers a VMware-based Dell Cloud Dedicated Service to deliver managed private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service. Dell Cloud Dedicated offers all the benefits of cloud computing for customers with VMware requirements and is designed to meet the strict security and regulatory requirements of the most sensitive data, such as health care information.
- The company also has seen strong momentum in public cloud and its online ordering capability that enables customers to automatically provision Dell cloud and get up and running with preconfigured bundles in a matter of minutes. These bundles include security monitoring and around-the-clock support from Dell SecureWorks™, Quest Defender, SonicWall and Dell ProSupport™. Customers may also choose from additional options, including cloud security solutions from Trend Micro.
Application Modernization: Modernizing IT for Tomorrow’s Business Needs
- Dell Services continues to enhance and refine its application modernization offerings to help customers reduce the cost of transitioning business-critical applications and data from legacy computing systems to open, standards-based platforms and agile cloud infrastructures. Since Dell acquired Clerity Solutions and Make Technologies earlier this year, Dell Services has won application modernization engagements across the globe, including assessments, re-hosting and re-architecture implementations.
- As organizations aim to better align business decisions with technology, Dell Portfolio Assessment services now offer the ability to define business capabilities and link them directly to technical assets. Dell Portfolio Assessment services help organizations better understand the application assets they have, create a direct link from the top-level business layer down to the applications’ programs and source code, and create a comprehensive modernization roadmap for the future.
Global Support & Deployment: Proactive Support, Optimized Storage Solutions
- Dell is announcing new SupportAssist technology to provide proactive support for Dell PowerEdge servers, PowerVault storage arrays and PowerConnect switches. Available today to Dell ProSupport* customers, SupportAssist installs quickly to enable remote monitoring, automatic case creation and data collection, as well as proactive parts dispatch with customer consent. With SupportAssist, customers can gain insight and control of their environment, enabling them to resolve issues quickly and minimize downtime.
- Dell also has launched a new Storage Consulting Accelerators service to provide solution designs and optimization plans for storing, protecting and archiving massive amounts of data. Dell IT consultants rapidly perform an automated data collection process, business needs assessment, and gap analysis to develop an integrated custom data management solution with a sound cost benefit analysis, tailored to the needs of the clients and the customers they serve.
- Dell ProSupport,* which simplifies support with one contract, one support team and one point of accountability, is extending its global multivendor capabilities to cover Apple products in addition to HP, Cisco, NetApp, IBM, Sun, Toshiba and more on thousands of models ranging from x86 servers to laptops, desktops, UNIX®, networking and storage.
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 543
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,222
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,721
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 4,343
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 3,180
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 20, 2017 12:30 PM EST Reads: 1,640
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 20, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 5,828
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 3,698
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 AM EST Reads: 6,083
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 20, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 2,925
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:30 AM EST Reads: 4,753
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,716
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 4,943
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 20, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 2,976
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 9,078
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jan. 20, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 6,867
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Jan. 20, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 904
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 5,035
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 6,586
With all the incredible momentum behind the Internet of Things (IoT) industry, it is easy to forget that not a single CEO wakes up and wonders if “my IoT is broken.” What they wonder is if they are making the right decisions to do all they can to increase revenue, decrease costs, and improve customer experience – effectively the same challenges they have always had in growing their business. The exciting thing about the IoT industry is now these decisions can be better, faster, and smarter. Now ...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:45 AM EST Reads: 4,274