|By Pat Romanski||
|December 13, 2012 05:45 AM EST||
“This year we’ve seen enterprises turn increasingly to Dell Services to help modernize and adapt their IT environments to manage the growing challenges and opportunities presented by these disruptive forces," said Suresh Vaswani, president, Dell Services, as Dell's CEO Michael Dell used his keynote at this year’s Dell World conference in Austin, Texas to unveil a technical preview of its private cloud.
Customers from small businesses to large enterprises, across geographies and industries, selected Dell Services in 2012 to help transform IT and solve business problems, Vaswani explained.
"With industrialized service offerings that make it simple for customers to receive the level of service that’s right for them, Dell Services offers consulting services and end-to-end capabilities that empower IT to achieve cost savings, growth and innovation," he added.
“At Dell World this week, we’re talking about the disruptive forces that our customers are facing, such as cloud, social media, mobility, data and security, More and more, our customers are recognizing the power of information technology and services in enabling their business outcomes,” said Viswani.
Examples of Dell Services milestones in 2012 include:
Security: Protecting Customers from Cyber Attacks
- Dell recently reported that security revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 16 percent year over year. Dell SecureWorks has been a significant contributor, continuing to expand its role as a leader in Information Security Services since it was acquired by Dell in 2011. It now processes more than 30 billion events every day.
- In an effort to grow its services further for its customers, Dell SecureWorks is teaming with FireEye®, a leader in advanced threat protection, to protect customers from advanced cyber attacks. The company will manage and monitor the FireEye Malware Protection System™ (MPS) family of appliances. The FireEye MPS solution gives Dell SecureWorks customers an additional layer of protection against spear phishing attacks, web attacks and other obfuscated attacks typically used in stealthy and highly-sophisticated Advanced Persistent Threat campaigns, before they can compromise their targets. Dell SecureWorks will be the inaugural Managed Security Services Provider partner of the FireEye Certified Service Provider program.
Cloud: Ongoing Commitment to OpenStack
- Dell is seeing success from its focused efforts and investments in cloud, and reported that cloud revenue for fiscal year 2013 third quarter was up 30 percent year over year.
- As an early pioneer and an active leader in the OpenStack community, Dell is increasing its commitment to OpenStack as its open source cloud platform of choice for public and private cloud. While Dell will continue to offer outstanding overall solutions for any type of cloud that customers want to run, the company believes the open and compatible nature of OpenStack allows customers to take advantage of hybrid capabilities to move workloads between private and public clouds.
- Dell will build its private and public cloud platforms on OpenStack. As a first step, today Dell is releasing a technical preview of its private cloud, Dell Cloud Dedicated, with OpenStack. Using OpenStack as Dell’s primary platform offers customers the benefits of scalability, self-service access and a consumption-based usage model, while enabling a new, improved way to develop and run applications taking advantage of open source cloud. Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack also provides private cloud infrastructure that can meet the security and compliance needs of large enterprises and vertical organizations. Companies interested in participating in the technical preview of Dell Cloud Dedicated with OpenStack may email [email protected] for information.
- In addition to Dell’s advancements with open source clouds, Dell also offers a VMware-based Dell Cloud Dedicated Service to deliver managed private cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service. Dell Cloud Dedicated offers all the benefits of cloud computing for customers with VMware requirements and is designed to meet the strict security and regulatory requirements of the most sensitive data, such as health care information.
- The company also has seen strong momentum in public cloud and its online ordering capability that enables customers to automatically provision Dell cloud and get up and running with preconfigured bundles in a matter of minutes. These bundles include security monitoring and around-the-clock support from Dell SecureWorks™, Quest Defender, SonicWall and Dell ProSupport™. Customers may also choose from additional options, including cloud security solutions from Trend Micro.
Application Modernization: Modernizing IT for Tomorrow’s Business Needs
- Dell Services continues to enhance and refine its application modernization offerings to help customers reduce the cost of transitioning business-critical applications and data from legacy computing systems to open, standards-based platforms and agile cloud infrastructures. Since Dell acquired Clerity Solutions and Make Technologies earlier this year, Dell Services has won application modernization engagements across the globe, including assessments, re-hosting and re-architecture implementations.
- As organizations aim to better align business decisions with technology, Dell Portfolio Assessment services now offer the ability to define business capabilities and link them directly to technical assets. Dell Portfolio Assessment services help organizations better understand the application assets they have, create a direct link from the top-level business layer down to the applications’ programs and source code, and create a comprehensive modernization roadmap for the future.
Global Support & Deployment: Proactive Support, Optimized Storage Solutions
- Dell is announcing new SupportAssist technology to provide proactive support for Dell PowerEdge servers, PowerVault storage arrays and PowerConnect switches. Available today to Dell ProSupport* customers, SupportAssist installs quickly to enable remote monitoring, automatic case creation and data collection, as well as proactive parts dispatch with customer consent. With SupportAssist, customers can gain insight and control of their environment, enabling them to resolve issues quickly and minimize downtime.
- Dell also has launched a new Storage Consulting Accelerators service to provide solution designs and optimization plans for storing, protecting and archiving massive amounts of data. Dell IT consultants rapidly perform an automated data collection process, business needs assessment, and gap analysis to develop an integrated custom data management solution with a sound cost benefit analysis, tailored to the needs of the clients and the customers they serve.
- Dell ProSupport,* which simplifies support with one contract, one support team and one point of accountability, is extending its global multivendor capabilities to cover Apple products in addition to HP, Cisco, NetApp, IBM, Sun, Toshiba and more on thousands of models ranging from x86 servers to laptops, desktops, UNIX®, networking and storage.
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 857
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 21, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 8,030
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 21, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 906
More and more brands have jumped on the IoT bandwagon. We have an excess of wearables – activity trackers, smartwatches, smart glasses and sneakers, and more that track seemingly endless datapoints. However, most consumers have no idea what “IoT” means. Creating more wearables that track data shouldn't be the aim of brands; delivering meaningful, tangible relevance to their users should be. We're in a period in which the IoT pendulum is still swinging. Initially, it swung toward "smart for smar...
Oct. 21, 2016 10:50 AM EDT Reads: 159
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Oct. 21, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,633
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 21, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,219
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 21, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 242
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the...
Oct. 21, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 11,117
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and ...
Oct. 21, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,365
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to impr...
Oct. 21, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,573
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Oct. 21, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,731
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Oct. 21, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,280
Virgil consists of an open-source encryption library, which implements Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) and Elliptic Curve Integrated Encryption Scheme (ECIES) (including RSA schema), a Key Management API, and a cloud-based Key Management Service (Virgil Keys). The Virgil Keys Service consists of a public key service and a private key escrow service.
Oct. 21, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 877
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Oct. 21, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,788
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Oct. 21, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,638
Two weeks ago (November 3-5), I attended the Cloud Expo Silicon Valley as a speaker, where I presented on the security and privacy due diligence requirements for cloud solutions. Cloud security is a topical issue for every CIO, CISO, and technology buyer. Decision-makers are always looking for insights on how to mitigate the security risks of implementing and using cloud solutions. Based on the presentation topics covered at the conference, as well as the general discussions heard between sessi...
Oct. 21, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 5,050
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 21, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,941
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Oct. 21, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,074
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Oct. 21, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,717
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Oct. 21, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 10,932