|By Maureen O'Gara||
|December 7, 2012 05:00 AM EST||
John McAfee, 67, the tattooed gun-toting founder of McAfee, the namesake antivirus house now owned by Intel, turned up in Guatemala this week still on the run from Belize police seeking to question him about the shooting death of his neighbor only to be arrested by Guatemala's immigration authorities for illegally entering the country. He was affecting a thin disguise by dyeing his blond-tipped hair and beard black.
Before his arrest Wednesday, which could lead to his being deported back to Belize and being turned over to police there, he managed to stage a press conference. He repeated his fears of being murdered by the Belize police and said he would seek sanctuary, a process that could reportedly take a few weeks. He claims Belize is corrupt and that he is being persecuted because he didn't donate money to local politicians.
He has hired a former attorney general of Guatemala Telesforo Guerra as his lawyer. Guerra is reportedly the uncle of Samantha, the girl who's been on the lam with McAfee for the last three weeks. Guerra said he is enlisting the aid of the local American embassy to support McAfee's asylum request. The embassy said it couldn't help McAfee with a request to be returned to the US instead of Belize.
McAfee relocated to Belize in 2008 with his $100 million fortune supposedly severely reduced.
According to ABC News he could be sent back to Belize immediately unless a judge decides his life is in danger and Guerra told the AP that "It seems that there's been a government decision to throw him out of Guatemala." However, blogging from an immigration detention center, where he likes the coffee, McAfee claimed that "My lawyer just brought a judge to the jail and the judge issued a stay order until a higher judge can review the case. This effectively stops Immigration from returning me to the Belize border. So..... the urgency is eased a bit."
Labeled "bonkers" by Belize's prime minister, McAfee reportedly told ABC in an interview before his arrest that he was prepared to prove his sanity. Belize has said McAfee is not a suspect in the murder but Guerra told ABC News "You don't have to believe what the police say. Even though they say he is not a suspect they were trying to capture him."
Reuters says there is no extradition treaty between Belize and Guatemala, which claims to own a chunk of its neighbor.
See McAfee's blog at www.whoismcafee.com/.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict