|By PR Newswire||
|November 30, 2012 11:01 AM EST||
LONDON, November 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Tablets have been gaining headway for a few years now, with the main obstacle slowing their strives for world domination being price. With the Nexus 7 by Asus, price is no longer the obstacle it once was.
How cheap are we talking? The standalone price at Carphone Warehouse for a Nexus 7 with a hefty 32GB of storage is £195. Most would call this cheap, but that doesn't reflect the high quality device that is the Nexus 7. Well built, yet light and portable, it sports one of the smaller sized 7" displays. The smaller screen sizes, down from 10" on larger tablets, is proving popular because it makes the devices much more portable, while still giving a screen that's much larger than a smartphone and so ideal for web browsing and media consumption. The screen itself has great contrast and sharpness, and with a high pixel count and HD resolution, it stacks up excellently against even 10" tablets.
Inside, the Nexus 7 has a quad core processor called the Tegra 3, by Nvidia. It's anything but a budget chip, and is in fact one of the latest and most powerful around. Featuring four cores it can power though anything you can think of, from web browsing, HD playback, 3D gaming and multitasking. In fact, with four cores, the processor is particularly good at doing many things at once, so you can open multiple apps at once and still get great performance.
Software-wise the Nexus 7 again has the latest and best, featuring Android Jelly Bean 4.1, with a recent update upgrading it to Android 4.2. It's full of great features like voice control, Google voice search with voice answers, and a notification bar that updates you on local restaurants, sports scores, travel news and much more. Jelly Bean also gives a battery boost, enabling the Nexus 7 to last for a good 9 hours of use, and it's one of the smoothest operating systems going. It's also super easy to customise, just log in to the Google Play Store. Here there are over 675,000 apps that let you add new features, themes, games and much more.
Really, the only thing the Nexus can't do is make calls and send texts. Luckily enough, you can grab connected deals. These are contracts that bundle the Nexus 7 with a smartphone. Carphone Warehouse has a decent selection, starting from just £20.50, enabling you to cruise the net on your Nexus 7 at home, and then catch up with friends on your phone when you're out.
The Nexus 7 has the price of a budget tablet, but the hardware and build quality of something in a completely different price bracket, making it a great Christmas purchase.
Notes to Editors
• Carphone Warehouse is the largest independent mobile phone retailer in the UK, with over 800 stores nationwide
• Discover how to get more from your gadgets with eye openers from Carphone Warehouse. Eye openers is a YouTube channel which features videos of Carphone Warehouse team members sharing useful hints and tips on everything from laptops to Sat Navs to the latest mobile phones. With new videos being added each month, users can search through hundreds of videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeopeners.
About Carphone Warehouse and Geek Squad
In 2006 Best Buy established a partnership with Carphone Warehouse to bring its business model and mobile phone expertise to the US market under the banner 'Best Buy Mobile'. Two years later, Best Buy acquired 50% of The Carphone Warehouse's European and US retail interests for £1.1billion, creating Best Buy Europe. The joint venture now encompasses the following retail and technical support brands: Carphone Warehouse, The Phone House and Geek Squad.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict