|By PR Newswire||
|November 15, 2012 11:45 AM EST||
CHICAGO, Nov. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Family Defense Center (FDC), a legal advocacy group that defends families who have been wrongly separated by state child welfare authorities, has asked the federal government to block a policy directive by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to eliminate social service programs for thousands of children at risk of abuse and neglect.
Under the new policy, families that have not been previously investigated by the state whose youngest child is over age 6 will no longer be eligible for support services.
In a 17-page complaint filed Thursday morning with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the FDC accuses DCFS of violating its contractual obligation to assist all children in need and of endangering federal funding that supports foster care and adoption assistance services across Illinois.
"DCFS has an obligation to protect children from abuse and neglect and to keep families intact when it is safe to do so," said FDC Executive Director Diane L. Redleaf. "This plan tears a gaping hole in the heart of the state's commitment to children and families."
Diane Redleaf will be available to answer questions about the HHS complaint via conference call on Thursday at 1 p.m. (Central Standard Time) Email firstname.lastname@example.org or [email protected] to receive dial-in information to participate in the call.
In August, DCFS laid off 297 employees under the new budget-cutting policy directive. While across-the-board layoffs were rescinded following union negotiations, DCFS intact services case worker positions were not restored. Most have been reassigned to investigator positions.
Both federal and state law contains numerous requirements directing DCFS to provide coordinated services to families to prevent abuse and neglect, and to avoid family separation.
"From now on, the state will have only two options: Do nothing, except label a child 'abused' or 'neglected,' or take the children from their parents and put them into foster care. The humane alternative—and the one both federal and state law demands—will be gone for most children coming to DCFS' attention who are over the age of 6," said Redleaf.
RELATED LINKS: www.familydefensecenter.net
SOURCE Family Defense Center
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict