|By Cloud Ventures||
|November 13, 2012 11:15 AM EST||
Businesses basically have two choices for operating systems when shopping around for cloud servers: Windows or Linux. While Linux is cheaper and runs on many enterprise servers, businesses that run internal applications for a Windows desktop can benefit from Windows cloud servers.
The IT department and users will understand the platform more easily than were they to learn Linux. But launching an intuitive platform is only one of the advantages of cloud servers in a Windows environment.
Business that have been online for several years probably have some legacy code in use in various departments. Fortunately, cloud servers can support multiple platforms for businesses moving towards a Windows platform.
Integration with Microsoft Azure
The latest Windows Server 2012 includes a cloud feature called Azure. Azure gives businesses the tools to create platforms as a service (PaaS) and integrates cloud server technology within an internal network. To take advantage of the Azure service, the business must setup a cloud hosting environment. Azure is more easily integrated with a corresponding Windows cloud host. The IT manager can use Microsoft’s wizard to install and configure the Azure server for cloud hosting.
More Cost Efficient for Support
Because most IT infrastructures have a lot of moving parts, system errors, downtime and desktop support can be expensive, especially when hosted internally. Having onsite personnel for any company can be expensive, and too little support can cost the company money. Hosting Windows services in the cloud eliminates much of the cost of having onsite support staff available seven days a week, 24×7. Check the contract for specifics before signing up for any particular service.
Additionally, hosting in the cloud means the company only pays for the bandwidth and server resources used each month and not a flat fee amount. Any cloud host charging a flat fee is in fact not a true cloud host. By paying for only what is used, businesses can cut down on IT infrastructure costs. As the business grows and more revenue is brought in, the cloud costs will also grow, but these costs only grow with the business’ success.
By Jennifer Marsh
Jennifer Marsh is a software developer, programmer and technology writer and occasionally blogs for Rackspace Hosting.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict