|By PR Newswire||
|November 8, 2012 03:13 PM EST||
Response to include damage assessments, community cleanup, rehabilitations, repairs and new house construction
ATLANTA, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Habitat for Humanity International is launching a multi-phase response to help communities devastated by Superstorm Sandy along the U.S. East Coast. This effort includes a range of services that will address both the short-term and long-term need for safe and decent housing.
"Hurricane Sandy had a devastating impact on many communities and neighborhoods throughout the Northeast," said Jonathan Reckford, CEO, Habitat for Humanity International. "We are mobilizing our resources so that we can help as many families as possible in the near-term as winter approaches. But we also recognize that Habitat's rebuilding and revitalization work in these communities will continue over the long term."
According to FEMA, 95,000 people in New York and New Jersey are eligible for emergency housing assistance.
Habitat for Humanity's Disaster Response team is currently assessing the damage to homes and entire communities throughout the affected areas. This is being done in coordination with local Habitat affiliates, other non-governmental organizations, and government agencies to determine the housing need and available resources at regional, state and national levels.
As part of its initial response effort, Habitat has begun to mobilize its local volunteers to help homeowners make repairs to houses that received damage from the storm and to help with community cleanup efforts.
Over the long-term, Habitat for Humanity will work to build, rehabilitate or repair affordable housing in partnership with low-income families impacted by the storm.
"Funds given to Habitat for Humanity today can help families who need help now and also help communities that will be struggling to rebuild for years to come," said Reckford.
Find out more about Habitat's response to Superstorm Sandy.
About Habitat for Humanity International
Habitat for Humanity International is a global nonprofit Christian housing organization that seeks to put God's love into action by bringing people together to build homes, communities and hope. Since 1976, Habitat has served more than 500,000 families by welcoming people of all races, religions and nationalities to construct, rehabilitate or preserve homes; by advocating for fair and just housing policies; and by providing training and access to resources to help families improve their shelter conditions. For more information, to donate or to volunteer, please visit www.habitat.org, or follow us at www.facebook.com/habitat or at www.twitter.com/habitat_org or join Habitat's blog community at www.habitat.org/blog.
SOURCE Habitat for Humanity International
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict