|By Jeremy Geelan||
|December 14, 2010 11:09 AM EST||
"While we’ve already begun executing aggressively, this financing will help us further fuel delivery and adoption of our PaaS," said CloudBees Founder & CEO Sacha Labourey as he announced recently that CloudBees had secured $4 million in Series A financing led by Matrix Partners with participation from individual investors, including JBoss founder Marc Fleury and JBoss/HP/Bluestone veteran Bob Bickel.
"I am pleased that Matrix, Marc, Bob and others have the confidence in our technology, strategy and first-rate technical team to provide us with capital to grow,” Labourey added.
Through this Series A round CloudBees is becoming quite the JBoss reunion. Labourey himself is former CTO of JBoss, while Bickel served as JBoss’ Vice President of Strategy, playing a critical role in forming the company’s business model and strategic partnerships, as well as securing early key executive hires.
Marc Fleury (pictured) of course was JBoss's founder.
Marc Fluery dancing the Macarena for SYS-CON.TV viewers back in 2006
But the reunion doesn't end there. Far from it. Joining the CloudBees BoD along with Bickel is Matrix General Partner David Skok, who was the original lead investor in JBoss, which was acquired by Red Hat in 2006 for $350 million.
What the reunited JBoss team is doing is creating the first Cloud-agnostic Java Platform as a Service (PaaS), a play succinctly described by Fleury as follows:
"The cloud represents a new opportunity for disruption, similar to what I saw with Enterprise Java 10 years ago. Just as JBoss provided a streamlined and useable alternative to BEA and IBM, CloudBees will be providing innovation and ease of use compared to VMware’s bloated cloud stacks."
Skok is much energized by the CloudBees strategy of establishing a foothold in the cloud for driving Java innovation.
"PaaS is the next logical evolution of cloud computing," he notes, "and the PaaS layer that CloudBees is building the future of how applications will be built and run. We believe this represents an enormous market, and this team well positioned to execute on it."
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict