|By Ian Thain||
|October 24, 2010 05:15 AM EDT||
I am now only a few days away from speaking at a Sybase Nordic Roadshow, within the Mobility track and will once again be traveling light with just my iPad to use. So I thought it would be time to address the though of... 'Is the Laptop Becoming Less Attractive?'.
I recently read a report that stated, that one in four Americans surveyed are likely to replace their laptop with a tablet device for work or personal use. I think, that as we see more mobile tablet devices, we will see that survey number increase. Even SAP's CIO Oliver Bussmann announced in the WSJ that SAP think that “We believe the tablet is a business tool”. The WSJ article also stated...
"Waldorf-based SAP has been quick to capitalize on the freedom tablets afford. The company bought 1,500 iPads for its sales, marketing, and development teams"
These are the reason why I think these devices are becoming hot stuff and making laptops less attractive to leave the confines of the home/office...
- The world is becoming a mobile place and even if you are not a mobile worker in your daily job, you will want to interact whilst on the move, in your personal life. That is why the Smartphone, such as the iPhone, is such a success... It gives you access to everything you want in the palm or your hand.
- They are compact and super easy to transport, the clue is in the word Mobility, but tablets also open up a wider range of applications that just do not make sense on small screens.
- They are easier to maintain and by that I mean that devices like the iPad just run applications specifically written for individual tasks and do not allow much (compared to a desktop) 'customisation'.
- They are touch screen and so the interaction paradigm is very native to us all. We are interacting with the device rather than peripherals. I always think of Minority Report with Tom Cruise.
- They are super cool. The hardware and the applications will lead to innovative and surprising uses.
Some may say that Tablet Devices will become our 3rd device behind the Laptop and the Mobile and I would partially agree with that statement providing one thing...The Laptop is the new Desktop and the Tablet is the new King of Mobile Computing
For me its MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad. I believe the tablet devices and especially Apple's iPad is here to stay and usage/demand will grow... Do not take my word for it check out recent report from iSuppli here with regard to iPad sales.
- Innodisk | Efficiencies for Cloud Hardware at Cloud Expo New York
- Join Gartner, IBM, + AWS at AppSphere and save $200 when you register in August!
- In 2014 Big Data Investments Will Account for Nearly $30 Billion - Eventually Accounting for $76 Billion by 2020 End
- Global Cloud Security Market Growing at 15.7% CAGR to 2020: Forecast & Analysis in Research Report Available at ReportsnReports.com
- Video: DevOps and Security
- Worldwide Indoor Location Market Growing at 46.0% CAGR to 2019 Says a New Research Report Available at RnRMarketResearch.com
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Searchmetrics Drives Over 200% World-Wide Growth As More Business Leaders Begin To Recognize The Value Of Search
- Mobility News Weekly – Week of August 17, 2014
- Digital Transformation's Impact on Enterprise Mobility and App Design Strategies
- Web Analytics Market by Solution (Search Engine Tracking & Ranking, Heat Map Analytics, Marketing Automation, Behavior Based Targeting) & by Services (Professional Services, Support & Maintenance) - Worldwide Forecasts & Analysis (2014 - 2019)
- Mobile Commerce News Weekly – Week of August 3, 2014
- Red Hat To Present At Internet of @ThingsExpo
- Mobile Cyber Security News Weekly – Week of August 10, 2014
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- 21st century Modern Alarm systems continue to play a key role in various institutions and industries
- SEO/SEM Tips & Tricks: How and When Should You Submit Your Website to Google?
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Tips For Press Releases in Reputation Management from Industry Veteran Brandon Hopkins
- Yahoo! to Keynote 4th Cloud Expo: Accelerating Innovation with Cloud Computing
- Google Version 2.0: Googzilla - The Calculating Predator
- ManageWP Powers Over 100,000 WordPress Sites Within Three Months of Launch
- Ulitzer’s Amazing First 30 Days in Public Beta
- Google's Competitive Advantage: It Leverages "The Power of Free"
- Ulitzer vs. Ning - a Quick Review
- AOL To Enhance Video Search Engine by Adding RSS Feeds
- Confessions of a Ulitzer Addict